W Bennet's Replacement

RayCee

The best way to select an England coach is to put names of all who are interested in a hat and then draw one out. Seriously we need to copy the Australian infrastructure, start them young,offer the kids scholarships to coincide with their education and bring them through this way. Then maybe one day we will be able to compete with the Aussies and Kiwis instead of nearly winning! 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

The best and most expansive rugby our National team has played in the last 10 years or so was when Paul Deakin was assistant to MacBannana then he was allowed to go to the dark side, bring Deakin back in a dual role capacity we can do far worse.

McNamara still not getting credit!! 

Some said his Knights wouldnt work - theyre back.

Some said his Pathways wouldnt work - theyre using them.

16 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

He is something like third assistant coach at the moment

Being head coach of anything would be a huge step up and too much for him in my opinion

Fair play. Perhaps a quite accurate call actually. I know he stated 'after' he accepted the job at Wigan, he wasn't suitable. 

2 minutes ago, The British Lion said:

Not much disagreement with you Oxford. But, as is the poor administration of the game, the reason these talented offspring are playing Union, is because of this very reason. I see it as very valid.

No you left out dosh as one factor and a primary one at that. and at least one of those ended up in union cos of his Dad moving.

And the poor administration as you put was probably the last factor in the list.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 minute ago, Oxford said:

No you left out dosh as one factor and a primary one at that. and at least one of those ended up in union cos of his Dad moving.

And the poor administration as you put was probably the last factor in the list.

Ahhh most likely correct Oxford! I submit to the assumed facts.

The England coach changes far too often, each coach probably averages less than 20 games.

Wayne Bennett took us within 6 points of winning the World Cup and should see us through to the next World Cup, we only have 3 games before the World Cup, it’s not enough to bring in a new coach.

After the 2021 World Cup is the time to make a change if necessary.

7 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The England coach changes far too often, each coach probably averages less than 20 games.

Wayne Bennett took us within 6 points of winning the World Cup and should see us through to the next World Cup, we only have 3 games before the World Cup, it’s not enough to bring in a new coach.

After the 2021 World Cup is the time to make a change if necessary.

I would agree the timing wouldn't be good but I cannot see England making the final or even semi-final of the WC playing like they have on this tour.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Can we sack Wayne Bennett as England coach for poor performances for Great Britain, which technically is a different entity? If we do, then this is an acknowledgement of a failure in the Britain concept and that it was nothing more than England in a different jersey.

On the other hand, do we keep Bennett to maintain the façade and try and save face? Is this a decision that we can avoid putting off with an Australian tour coming up in 2020 and a World Cup in 2021? The last thing we need is a disastrous tour in 2019 and a whitewash to Australia in 2020 when trying to host the most successful World Cup in 2021.

Mixed thoughts on Wane replacing Wayne though. No doubt he would bring pride, toughness and an uncompromising attitude, but could he do anything to improve our attack which has been so poor this series?

12 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Does it have to be English? 

No, but it's difficult getting a top coach from the NRL who wants to do it and can give it the attention it deserves. 

1 minute ago, RayCee said:

No, but it's difficult getting a top coach from the NRL who wants to do it and can give it the attention it deserves. 

I think there are some who have worked in England in the past and could do the job, focusing on players' performance in both SL and NRL.

I just struggle to see a non NRL coach beating the Aussies. Of course I can be wrong! 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

26 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Does it have to be English? 

When they haven't been English, they haven't really respected the SL players in terms of selection. Selection of wingers by Australian coaches has been strange! David Waite selecting Richard Horne in the wing springs to mind!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

When they haven't been English, they haven't really respected the SL players in terms of selection. Selection of wingers by Australian coaches has been strange! David Waite selecting Richard Horne in the wing springs to mind!

Hmm, I still think it's possible to have a coach who actually work/has worked in the toughest league of the world (the league were all top Int teams coaches come prof, read Aus, NZ, Tonga, etc.) and have him watch the SL based players, their development, etc.

Of course Powell, Wane, etc.are great coaches and can do well.

I just have a feeling people just want a coach with a British passport and this is what let the FA chose....Roy Hodgson some years ago ?

7 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Hmm, I still think it's possible to have a coach who actually work/has worked in the toughest league of the world (the league were all top Int teams coaches come prof, read Aus, NZ, Tonga, etc.) and have him watch the SL based players, their development, etc.

I just have a feeling people just want a coach with a British passport and this is what let the FA chose....Roy Hodgson some years ago ?

I think bring SL based is essential. We know how good the likes of Bateman et al are. Players have been massively ignored because of the ignorance of SL.

9 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Well, Big Sam never got the chance he deserved.

Anyway, whatever coach it could be needs to understand the UK players well and how they are performing at any given time. WB picked players on reputation, perhaps he didn't keep up enough with the changing scene in the UK. 

On a pre-Kiwis/GB programme on TV just aired in NZ, Tony Kemp wasn't complimentary on some of the aging UK players WB was sticking with and with WB being passed his best as well. 

7 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I think bring SL based is essential. We know how good the likes of Bateman et al are. Players have been massively ignored because of the ignorance of SL.

Maybe.

But I'd never chose a coach who's never coached in the NRL.

But that's me.

2 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Maybe.

But I'd never chose a coach who's never coached in the NRL.

But that's me.

That means no English coach then. Because no current English coaches have coached in the NRL.

I think the NRL-centric view is what has harmed us. We can't play the NRL at their own game; we'd be a second-rate NRL.

7 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

That means no English coach then. Because no current English coaches have coached in the NRL.

I think the NRL-centric view is what has harmed us. We can't play the NRL at their own game; we'd be a second-rate NRL.

We are, I mean we are a worse league compared to theirs. Why so many Australian coaches work in SL? 

21 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

NRL sides tend not to play at all in their own half but cut loose in good ball. Nothing wrong with that.

What annoys me about today is we played NRL in our own half - I thought the GB forwards did a pretty good job - but in good ball we didn’t do the rest.

It wasn’t NRL, it wasn’t SL, it was NCL. And that’s very probably an insult to NCL.

27 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

We are, I mean we are a worse league compared to theirs. Why so many Australian coaches work in SL? 

Why can't we be a first-rate SL? We don't have to have the same style and same tactics. Does everyone try and play like Brazil in football?

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

NRL sides tend not to play at all in their own half but cut loose in good ball. Nothing wrong with that.

What annoys me about today is we played NRL in our own half - I thought the GB forwards did a pretty good job - but in good ball we didn’t do the rest.

It wasn’t NRL, it wasn’t SL, it was NCL. And that’s very probably an insult to NCL.

We failed so much at being an NRL attack that we weren't even an U16s attack. That's my point. We were playing a style that was either so unnatural we couldn't do it; or just incredibly poorly coached.

2 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Why can't we be a first-rate SL? We don't have to have the same style and same tactics. Does everyone try and play like Brazil in football?

We failed so much at being an NRL attack that we weren't even an U16s attack. That's my point. We were playing a style that was either so unnatural we couldn't do it; or just incredibly poorly coached.

To play three tests and score one try in each and never reach double figures is totally unacceptable. Anyone can a have an off game but three in a row? That's a pattern. Could another coach have done better? I believe so, but who? 

Archived