Seriously how bad was that crowd today

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

A good turnout by the Tongans but the Kiwi representation was dire. It’ll be interesting to see what it looks like in Christchurch. 

Doesnt seem many Brits there, unsurprising given the short notice but I had thought there might be more

Kiwis are a bland people & despite Jacinta Ahern's great social efforts, the fush & chup crowd probably would feel uncomfortable being amongst the Islanders &also shown how one really supports their team ?

6 hours ago, Poower Lad said:

A triple header , we’re there any Kiwi fans these . As always open to being proved wrong but how many years since NZ drew a decent  home ( sans Tonga fans ) crowd . 

Certain posters lying on here claiming that the kiwis never drew decent crowds to make themselves feel better. Fact of the matter is, the eligibility farce of the previous World Cup is still fresh in the minds of kiwis. Like I’ve always said, sure you will temporarily boost these smaller island nations by allowing the switches but at what expense? In more develop countries, this sort of thing is seen as farcical. I remember with the World Cup, there was a kiwis player who decided to switch a week or two out from the start. That makes a mockery of the sport 

22 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Certain posters lying on here claiming that the kiwis never drew decent crowds to make themselves feel better. Fact of the matter is, the eligibility farce of the previous World Cup is still fresh in the minds of kiwis. Like I’ve always said, sure you will temporarily boost these smaller island nations by allowing the switches but at what expense? In more develop countries, this sort of thing is seen as farcical. I remember with the World Cup, there was a kiwis player who decided to switch a week or two out from the start. That makes a mockery of the sport 

I posted the stats here recently. A par for GB vs NZ would be 15k, maybe 20k tops.

When we used to tour as GB we used to get 7 to 12k.

Nobody is lying.

Based on the red though, I'd he surprised if the Kiwi support hit that lower end number.

1 hour ago, Poower Lad said:

Probably the size of the venue . You’ve got to admit the below had a tonne more atmosphere , the frustration is we had it , it was all there . How has rugby leagues professional level had such bad luck with administrators .  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w2jxDbYUcWs

And that match in Palmerston North only drew 11,548. And despite the Kiwis winning, the 2nd test in Auckland drew even less at just over 10,000.

The RL support in NZ appears to be very dependant on form (the Warriors would be one of the top draws in the NRL is they ever managed to get a consistently good team out). The Kiwis convincing loss to the Kangaroos a week before didn't help, and it's still only two years since their embarrassing exit from the RLWC after defeats to Fiji and Tonga.

The only downside to the rise of the Tongans is the effect it's had on the Kiwis - losing the likes of Taumalolo and Taukeiaho would be a blow to any team. Putting the Kiwis on as what may be perceived as a warm up act to the Tongans probably isn't a great way of building the Kiwis back up either.

45 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I posted the stats here recently. A par for GB vs NZ would be 15k, maybe 20k tops.

When we used to tour as GB we used to get 7 to 12k.

Nobody is lying.

Based on the red though, I'd he surprised if the Kiwi support hit that lower end number.

Why are you just taking NZ vs GB into account? Attendance across the board has been bad 

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Some of you can’t help yourselves! But hey I’m sure you speak for all of them with your insecure dribble 

knock yourself out with reading a few pages of "insecure dribble" in the comments section from the rah rah set you complete #$%$#^. Gawd knows what was said from the numerous comments removed. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/50272126

3 hours ago, Omott91 said:

25, 275@ Eden Park. 

Mount Smart Stadium holds 30,000

It doesn’t make any sense using the 50,000 Eden Park, it should have been played in a packed out Mount Smart.

The Tongan fans are fantastic btw, incredibly passionate. The vast majority of the crowd were Tongan fans, very little support for the other 5 nations.

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Mount Smart Stadium holds 30,000

It doesn’t make any sense using the 50,000 Eden Park, it should have been played in a packed out Mount Smart.

The Tongan fans are fantastic btw, incredibly passionate. The vast majority of the crowd were Tongan fans, very little support for the other 5 nations.

Couldn't believe the lack of Aussie fans at the game. There was no push from what I saw for visiting tours,  great opportunity missed as the Tongan games are events in themselves now. I suppose the Kangaroos success has really turned people of travelling to watch them given they are most likely to win.

9 minutes ago, Heritage XIII said:

Couldn't believe the lack of Aussie fans at the game. There was no push from what I saw for visiting tours,  great opportunity missed as the Tongan games are events in themselves now. I suppose the Kangaroos success has really turned people of travelling to watch them given they are most likely to win.

I really wouldn’t expect Aussies to fly over to NZ for, effectively, a meaningless match.

Lack of Kiwis there was a little worrying though. But it was the same day as the union World Cup final, and that is their no.1 sport, so I imagine a lot were watching that somewhere 

We don't help ourselves do we...

Scheduling that event on the same day as the RU WC Final was never a great move. I know that, in the end, the All Blacks weren't in the Final but they were short odds favourites to be so when the date was picked. Can you imagine just how little interest there would have been in the triple header if the All Black had been in the Final?

Like I say, we need to give ourselves a chance, not hamper ourselves before we've even got started...

7 hours ago, DoubleD said:

A good turnout by the Tongans but the Kiwi representation was dire. It’ll be interesting to see what it looks like in Christchurch. 

Doesnt seem many Brits there, unsurprising given the short notice but I had thought there might be more

There were a lot of Kiwi's there but these days they are dressing up in Tongan colours, how many of those were RL fan's and possibly Kiwi fans before they have latched on to their 'Heritage' team I couldn't tell you, It is now 10:00 Sunday evening in Auckland as I write this and I have just got into the hotel in the City centre over 24hrs since the game finished there are cars and vans blasting on their horns and adorned with Tongan flags blocking the main street in the city still celebrating.

I was going to go but i live in Wellington which is 750 kilometers away from Auckland and the Kiwis recent loss to Australia and the expense of getting to Auckland and back put me off.

Im all for people representing nations they qualify for but when people play for 2 countries in the same calendar year and change countries 2 weeks before tournaments it really cheapens the product.

NZ VS England or GB games in NZ have only ever attracted crowds of between 10 000 to 20 000. Also the Kiwis poor form dating back to the 2017 RLWC has played a factor and last years upset win against Australia in Auckland only drew 12 000 which is a very low crowd for an NZ vs Australia test. Outside of the Tongan Community in NZ and Rugby League fans i dont think the general public really are aware that the GB League Lions are in NZ. A old school tour game or two against NZ Residents or NZ Maori or an Auckland rep side could have helped build some more interest. Also Lions tour was arranged fairly quickly and dont think to many GB Fans traveled to Support the team. But how ever you look at it 25K crowd was below par and in hindsight the games should have been held at Mt Smart.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

There were a lot of Kiwi's there but these days they are dressing up in Tongan colours, how many of those were RL fan's and possibly Kiwi fans before they have latched on to their 'Heritage' team I couldn't tell you, It is now 10:00 Sunday evening in Auckland as I write this and I have just got into the hotel in the City centre over 24hrs since the game finished there are cars and vans blasting on their horns and adorned with Tongan flags blocking the main street in the city still celebrating.

So that begs the question, how do the Kiwis look to harness that amongst their own supporters and generate a real rivalry?

Australia's attitude towards the international game should also be viewed in the context of its adoration for game at state rep level. Outside of World Cups, how many Aussies care more about the Kangaroos than NSW or QLD? Expecting Aussies to cross the tasman for a meaningless game is harsh.

4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

So that begs the question, how do the Kiwis look to harness that amongst their own supporters and generate a real rivalry?

Are you really understanding what I am trying to say DD?

In this Union mad country there are only so many RL fans, a good number of those could have been those who have been converted to favour the islands of their forefathers be it Tonga, Fiji or Samoa, previously there allegiance would have been in many cases backing New Zealand which is in most cases probably the land of their birth, so in effect it is not a big increase in numbers attending because there is the red of Tonga everywhere  it is a lot of the same who have abandoned one team in favour of another.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Are you really understanding what I am trying to say DD?

In this Union mad country there are only so many RL fans, a good number of those could have been those who have been converted to favour the islands of their forefathers be it Tonga, Fiji or Samoa, previously there allegiance would have been in many cases backing New Zealand which is in most cases probably the land of their birth, so in effect it is not a big increase in numbers attending because there is the red of Tonga everywhere  it is a lot of the same who have abandoned one team in favour of another.

I understand fully what you’re saying Harold. 

And your point is part of the wider problem of the game and it’s struggles to diversify and expand. You say ‘there are only so many rl fans’. Internationals are about creating an event and enticing casuals, something our game still fails to grasp.  70k people don’t fill Twitenham because they are union fans 

Archived