When was the last time Aussies lost to...

47 minutes ago, Wollongong said:

France 11 Australia 10    

France.gif.d2678e7696c481f6199aa16540960d9f.gif

Allons enfants de la patrie,
Le jour de gloire est arrivé !
Contre nous de la tyrannie
L'étendard sanglant est levé !
Le jour de gloire est arrivé !
Contre nous de la tyrannie

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

25 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Yeah, that France game was mentioned in the commentary during the match

How times have changed! Will France ever beat Australia again? 

Sadly I think France may not. 

It seems looking at NZ and now Tonga who have both beaten OZ in the last few years, and GB/Eng who have come close and last won in 2007, that to beat OZ you need. 

- A core of NRL talent, or Star SL players ie would be in the top 50 Players in SL. 

- A big strong pack of forwards who can match OZ. 

France right now if they had every player available, have Fages, Gigot, and an aged but still very good Casty, and Escare who would be of the level to play in a side to compete with / beat OZ. I can't think of anyone else really. Bosquet, Simon, Batieri, Robin, Da Costa, Pellisier etc are good solid SL players but not stars. And not NRL level. 

Tonga yesterday have Daniel Tupou on the Wing who keeps Ryan Hall out of the Roosters 13. And they have JT the best forward around now. 

France do merit regular games though as this way maybe they will take RL at international level more seriously. They should get a annual game v England and Wales. Every year. 

I would also feel letting them pick more Anglos on residence ie 3 years living in France isn't a bad thing if it makes them more competitive. 

2 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

No.

I'm inclined to agree Gooleboy

The sobering thought is whether ANY Northern Hemisphere team will ever beat Australia again? I feel that we are going backwards at the moment, and unless there is a seed change in how we go about developing players to the very top level then I don't really expect to see us beat Australia in my lifetime - by which I mean over a series or in a game that matters, we might beat them an odd time in dead rubber or whatever. 

As I say, we seem further away than ever right now, and I don't see a great deal of talent coming through that can really compete at that level.

7 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Yeah, that France game was mentioned in the commentary during the match

How times have changed! Will France ever beat Australia again? 

I don’t think they’ll beat them anytime soon, but ever is a long time and I think it’ll happen one day.

While few and far between, we have had some big upsets in international rugby league, Italy beat England, Scotland drew with New Zealand, Fiji beating New Zealand, Tonga beating New Zealand, Tonga beating England and the biggest of all Tonga beating Australia.

19 minutes ago, westside said:

Their win was definitely impressive but if Samoa get their act together couldn’t they field a team basically as strong as Tonga?

There were 6 players in the NZ team this week who are eligible for Samoa. Plus Asofa Solomona. Three of the Kiwis have already played for Samoa.

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

What about in around 20 years if Canada takes off..... 

Oh god no I can already feel the post full of underlining, use of bold and italics (and of course unsubstantiated facts) to say exactly how TWPhonies do no development in Canada coming from the south Leeds area!!!

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Oh god no I can already feel the post full of underlining, use of bold and italics (and of course unsubstantiated facts) to say exactly how TWPhonies do no development in Canada coming from the south Leeds area!!!

Here I am... stealthily laying subtle ground bait and you've ruined it! 

9 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Will France ever beat Australia again? 

More to the point, will GB/England? 

Strangely, during the post match presentations on Saturday, the host said that it was 'only the 3rd time Australia had been beaten by a non tier 1 nation'.  Cannot imagine what she meant. 

17 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

In 112 years of International RL since 1907, Australia until this weekend has only ever lost to:

England/GB
NZ
France

You can now add Tonga to that very short list !

The Wales national team have never beaten Australia in 13 attempts, but Welsh teams have beaten Australia:

Welsh League X111, 19/1/1909:

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matches/kangaroos-tour-1908/game-30/welsh-xiii-vs-australia.html

Merthyr Tydfil, 27/2/1909:

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matches/kangaroos-tour-1908/game-43/merthyr-vs-australia.html

We did not have a lot of chances to beat Australia, England or New Zealand but now it's also the case with Pacific nations and other teams like Lebanon, the United States or any team composed of Australian players.
France is therefore condemned even if it aligns its best team.
I am also very surprised to see how little response to this management rugby XIII International. Seeing Australia lose to Tonga is a bit like if the French football team lost to the Algerian team composed of players of French nationality who do not go more than once a year in this country.
Australian rugby league wants to make money at the expense of development.

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

Archived