The RLIF/IRL Can't Be This Stupid Can They?

Scubby

I hope this is a joke? Could there be anything more stupid than this premise? We are a corner shop organisation - end of! So GB are England after all?? FFS

Does this mean Australia and NZ also get ranking points because they had some test players in the Tongan Squad? What about Marty Taupau defecting from NZ to Samoa - does this hurt NZ's ranking? It is not difficult!! This idea sounds right out of the Nigel Wood "second half winners" playbook.

I'm more confused about their new rankings - more accurately about how the assessments are expressed. Under their old system, teams got points for games played and results, Now they get % ratings, where the #1 Country is deemed to be 100% and the others are all ranked accordingly: ENG 96.86%, NZ 94.47% and so on.

Surely they need to keep the points system to calculate these relative percentages so why not just express them as points?

Yep, they certainly can.

I've voiced my opinion on this topic elsewhere. It's Mickey Mouse.

They count towards Golden Boot also which I'm not happy about.

Shouldn't be counted as a test, count towards rankings or Golden Boot. Absolute joke.

There are other groups of nations like Latin Heat, Africa United and ASEAN that play games, do they get this treatment?

No.

new rise.jpg

4 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Why no golden boot? It's international rugby league. 

By the way, I seriously doubt any British player will win it this season ?

international
/ɪntəˈnaʃ(ə)n(ə)l/
adjective
  1. existing, occurring, or carried on between nations.

"Great Britain is not a country; it’s a landmass. It is known as ‘Great’ because it is the largest island in the British Isles, and houses the countries of England, Scotland and Wales within its shores."

new rise.jpg

58 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I hope this is a joke? Could there be anything more stupid than this premise? We are a corner shop organisation - end of! So GB are England after all?? FFS

Does this mean Australia and NZ also get ranking points because they had some test players in the Tongan Squad? What about Marty Taupau defecting from NZ to Samoa - does this hurt NZ's ranking? It is not difficult!! This idea sounds right out of the Nigel Wood "second half winners" playbook.

Of course they can.  They were stupid enough to put three Internationals together as a triple header weren't they?

33 minutes ago, Spidey said:

What about Joe Philbin - never played a senior game for England but has played 3 World Cup games for Ireland. Are their rankings impacted?

TIN POT ?

WTF? Forgot about that. Also, a number of these players have never played for England like Hastings and Austin and still technically qualify to play for Australia in 2020.

I was wondering how GB was going to affect the rankings. If NZ get a ranking score for playing GB, but GB don't get anything because they are not on the list, that would be ridiculous. How can you gain a ranking score playing a side not even on the rankings list? The team has to be classed as England to do that. 

While there are people that want a GB team, I would prefer the home nations all play separately. This is for all intents and purposes an England side and should have been called such. Switching from England to GB and back again sends out a confused message IMO.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

15 minutes ago, langpark said:

The RLIF/IRL Can't Be This Stupid Can They?

My thoughts exactly when I realised they paid all that money to fly a British ref out, only to ref GB matches and have Aussie refs reffing the Australia matches.

Now the Aussies have finished their programme, Sutton will be allowed to be a neutral ref again. Looks like agent Sutton didn't work out for Mal this time.

Really like Sutton as a ref btw but the NRL has too much power about who does what. Ref appointments should be nothing to do with them.

16 hours ago, Scubby said:

This whole sport is such a joke it's scarcely believable. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Archived