2020 Kangaroos Tour

Eddie

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’ve been googling and there is hardly anything about this online. Does anyone know if the games / dates / venues have been announced yet? I’m guessing not as I can’t find anything but as this is RL you never know. 

You answered your own question there.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’ve been googling and there is hardly anything about this online. Does anyone know if the games / dates / venues have been announced yet? I’m guessing not as I can’t find anything but as this is RL you never know. 

Whenever have games/dates/venues been announced for a future series before the current "series" has even finished ???

The series will start a couple of weeks after the grand final..like it always does..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

7 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

Whenever have games/dates/venues been announced for a future series before the current "series" has even finished ???

The series will start a couple of weeks after the grand final..like it always does..

I think people are looking at tickets as Xmas gifts marra.

You would assume like the CC final there will be discount packages on sale in advance - would be good if they included something like a free England RL top if you buy tickets for all 3 venues etc etc

45 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

You would assume like the CC final there will be discount packages on sale in advance - would be good if they included something like a free England RL top if you buy tickets for all 3 venues etc etc

They offered three tickets for the price of two for last year’s Kiwi tour. That’ll do me.

36 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I'm really looking forward to this, I hope they go big. A few games against club sides, rep sides. 

I'd love them to make it a proper challenge. The aussies are the best. they could put 3 or 4 teams out to beat our best. Prove it.

3 ashes games. Tour games against France, and Wales, Midweek games against Wigan, Leeds, Saints, Les Catalans, maybe Yorkshire, Lancashire. 

Maybe put up a bet, £1m straight to the player if they can win them all.

There is no way they play that many mid week games.

At best they might play a Wigan or Leeds. After the Junior Kangaroos destroyed France, I don't think there will be much interest in Australia doing that again.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

I'm really looking forward to this, I hope they go big. A few games against club sides, rep sides. 

I'd love them to make it a proper challenge. The aussies are the best. they could put 3 or 4 teams out to beat our best. Prove it.

3 ashes games. Tour games against France, and Wales, Midweek games against Wigan, Leeds, Saints, Les Catalans, maybe Yorkshire, Lancashire. 

Maybe put up a bet, £1m straight to the player if they can win them all.

Club games are dead. You can't just finish the season and keep training for weeks for a dead rubber midweek game. Midweek games against England Knight and Wales would at least make sense, and then a test in France.

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

######....

If it was a Adele concert for in 10-11 month time and tickets where £150 a pop then you'd have a point...but it's not

OLDHAM RLFC

3 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

In 2015 (I think?) they offered a free scarf to the first how ever many people bought tickets. Can't remember the exact number but anyway, I bought my tickets about an hour after they went on sale and got one. 

3 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

So you know the dates and venues then? 

I liked the game new zealand played against Leeds a few years ago, probably more for nostalgia, harking back to the times of long tours and there was about 20,000 or so there but I can't see the point in Australia playing a club side and putting 50 points on them.

I think they do need to play at the very least one more game than the 3 match series. I always think 6 games is a good number for a modern day tour but I would be happy enough with something like 5 games with Wales as a warm up to the series, then the series and a game against France on the way home.

I would have ideally liked this for the current GB tour seen as the Fiji and Samoa games didn't happen cos the 2 games against NZ just seems daft. Either have a proper 3 game series bookended with the Tonga and PNG games or have 4 games against 4 different teams. Playing 2 games against NZ almost feels like a country dropped out and NZ quickly stepped in. I know that isn't what happened but it feels like a game has just been shoehorned in to lengthen the tour. 

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I would have ideally liked this for the current GB tour seen as the Fiji and Samoa games didn't happen cos the 2 games against NZ just seems daft. Either have a proper 3 game series bookended with the Tonga and PNG games or have 4 games against 4 different teams. Playing 2 games against NZ almost feels like a country dropped out and NZ quickly stepped in. I know that isn't what happened but it feels like a game has just been shoehorned in to lengthen the tour. 

Great Britain never used to play a 3 game series against New Zealand when touring. In 1992 it was just a 2 game series.

48 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So you know the dates and venues then? 

Dates.....Christ sake work it out!

the SL grand final is Saturday 10th Oct 2020

The following weekend 16,17,18th Oct we'll have a warm up test.

24th,31st oct & 7th nov 2020 will be the ashes dates..

Venues are a different matter because of all the other circumstances that have to be taken into account..ie premier league,NFL etc.. but the venues are rumoured to be St James park, new white Hart lane and the Etihad...in that order...

OLDHAM RLFC

59 minutes ago, Damien said:

Great Britain never used to play a 3 game series against New Zealand when touring. In 1992 it was just a 2 game series.

That's cos we'd already played a full 3 test series v Australia plus tour games and png on the way home...think it was a 17 game tour?

If we are only going to new Zealand it's ridiculous not to have played a full 3 test series..

OLDHAM RLFC

2 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

As for playing club sides...that's a big no from me..

They need to play mid week tests v Wales,Scotland & Ireland...then France on the way home...

Yeah why play in front of 20k at Leeds or Hull when they can play in front of 1500 playing Wales or Ireland. 

You're all insane.

History suggests the RFL will look at the losses made on this GB tour, panic, and restrict next year's games to the heartlands. If they stick the games in Wigan, Huddersfield and Hull then there's no need to spend any time or money on marketing the fixtures. 75,000 tickets sold + no work required + cheap and easy = a good day's work as far as the RFL are concerned.

The idea that the Kangaroos will play anyone else in Europe is nonsense. They'll probably look to play Tonga again, most likely in Auckland because that means they can rely on the local Tongan supporters to generate a crowd and some money  without having to do any work themselves.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

7 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

Dates.....Christ sake work it out!

the SL grand final is Saturday 10th Oct 2020

The following weekend 16,17,18th Oct we'll have a warm up test.

24th,31st oct & 7th nov 2020 will be the ashes dates..

Venues are a different matter because of all the other circumstances that have to be taken into account..ie premier league,NFL etc.. but the venues are rumoured to be St James park, new white Hart lane and the Etihad...in that order...

Cheers. Not sure why they even need to announce dates and venues when people can work it out for themselves. 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/04/wigan-wolfpack-keen-to-play-kangaroos-on-2020-tour/

New article from Brad Walter. Dates and venues announced for 2020 Kangaroo tour in coming days. Matches against Wigan, Leeds and the Toronto Wolfpack seem more likely than not:

"Details of Australia's three-Test series against England at the end of next season are set to be announced in coming days as part of the 2020 international calendar, which will also include an end-of-season Test against New Zealand."

"While matches against France, Ireland, Scotland and Wales are a possibility, there is likely to be far greater interest – and financial benefit – from playing Super League clubs."

"However, it is understood the impending IRL announcement will not include mid-week matches or other fixtures on the Kangaroos tour as they are yet to be confirmed."

Archived