Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lowdesert

McManus fined £3000

Recommended Posts

I would have liked the RFL require him to print / publish a retraction to his comments and to issue an apology to Rob Hicks. 

And before people start with the "but freedom of speech" thing, freedom of speech comes with responsibilities and it doesn't grant you freedom from the consequences of what you say. Pointing out an error is one thing, but his comments went far beyond that. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, whatmichaelsays said:

I would have liked the RFL require him to print / publish a retraction to his comments and to issue an apology to Rob Hicks. 

And before people start with the "but freedom of speech" thing, freedom of speech comes with responsibilities and it doesn't grant you freedom from the consequences of what you say. Pointing out an error is one thing, but his comments went far beyond that. 

Indeed. Its very disappointing that McManus hasn't already taken it on himself to do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McManus fined £3000

 

24 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

With £1000 suspended,

Is that all?

 

  • Like 1

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd sooner have seen a retraction and an apology than a token fine

Perhaps he was given that option, and declined? Who knows...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A piddling fine like this is almost an admission by the Powers That Be that they agree with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TIWIT said:

A piddling fine like this is almost an admission by the Powers That Be that they agree with him.

The punishment received by Catalans and Warrington for the trouble their fans caused recently, also seemed like a tap on the wrist as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oxford said:

McManus fined £3000

 

Is that all?

 

It is.  As others have said, a sincere apology after his comments were first aired would have been the right way.  

I wonder how much the Ref would have paid to not having to hear it?  Maybe that’s what the Grand is held back for.  Just in case.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn’t hear him moaning after the GF - where saints got absolutely every decision 

learn to lose with dignity 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnny Cash and Tom Petty are joining up to play gigs together in Heaven and welcome suggestions as to what they should call themselves.

Edited by John Boriston
To improve the joke.
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teams to have an 8 point deduction on the live season plus £50k fine half suspended might shut a few up, this is meaningless drivel, same as always.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dallas Maverick owner Mark Cuban has been fined over $2.5 million by the NBA in the last 20 years, mostly for publicly criticizing the referees. The NBA clearly takes such matters far more seriously than Super League, as it should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Dallas Maverick owner Mark Cuban has been fined over $2.5 million by the NBA in the last 20 years, mostly for publicly criticizing the referees. The NBA clearly takes such matters far more seriously than Super League, as it should.

And they are valued at $2.25 billion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

That’s that embarrassing situation put to bed. Hope he learns from it and I hope the game learns from it too. 

Maybe, but with the paltry level of the censure, the RFL have created another embarrassing situation for us to be going on with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would have been better if they had done nothing and hoped everyone had forgotten about it. Our sport is a joke.

  • Like 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im glad the RFL have responded in 'any way'

McManus's response to the defeat at the Challenge Cup Final was beyond embarrassment with his continued response, and hugely ingenuine recognition of Warrington being the deserved winners on the day. I would have had the same response, regardless of my own club interest.

Ive lost massive respect for Saints as a club, as a result. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

By fining him the cost of what, for him,  constitutes a round of drinks, but you knew that.

I don’t get this. A fine whatever it’s truer worth to a person is still a fine and nobody likes receiving them or paying them. There’s nothing embarrassing about McManus being punished here. 

I don’t get people’s anger at the level of fines handed out. I suppose it’s the off season so people need something to moan about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I don’t get this. A fine whatever it’s truer worth to a person is still a fine and nobody likes receiving them or paying them. There’s nothing embarrassing about McManus being punished here. 

I don’t get people’s anger at the level of fines handed out. I suppose it’s the off season so people need something to moan about. 

Surely a fine is supposed to be part punishment, and part deterrent? How is this a deterrent?

He should have had the book thrown at him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...