McManus fined £3000

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have liked the RFL require him to print / publish a retraction to his comments and to issue an apology to Rob Hicks. 

And before people start with the "but freedom of speech" thing, freedom of speech comes with responsibilities and it doesn't grant you freedom from the consequences of what you say. Pointing out an error is one thing, but his comments went far beyond that. 

Just now, whatmichaelsays said:

I would have liked the RFL require him to print / publish a retraction to his comments and to issue an apology to Rob Hicks. 

And before people start with the "but freedom of speech" thing, freedom of speech comes with responsibilities and it doesn't grant you freedom from the consequences of what you say. Pointing out an error is one thing, but his comments went far beyond that. 

Indeed. Its very disappointing that McManus hasn't already taken it on himself to do this.

Just now, TIWIT said:

A piddling fine like this is almost an admission by the Powers That Be that they agree with him.

The punishment received by Catalans and Warrington for the trouble their fans caused recently, also seemed like a tap on the wrist as well.

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

McManus fined £3000

Is that all?

It is.  As others have said, a sincere apology after his comments were first aired would have been the right way.  

I wonder how much the Ref would have paid to not having to hear it?  Maybe that’s what the Grand is held back for.  Just in case.  

Dallas Maverick owner Mark Cuban has been fined over $2.5 million by the NBA in the last 20 years, mostly for publicly criticizing the referees. The NBA clearly takes such matters far more seriously than Super League, as it should.

2 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Dallas Maverick owner Mark Cuban has been fined over $2.5 million by the NBA in the last 20 years, mostly for publicly criticizing the referees. The NBA clearly takes such matters far more seriously than Super League, as it should.

And they are valued at $2.25 billion.

4 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

That’s that embarrassing situation put to bed. Hope he learns from it and I hope the game learns from it too. 

Maybe, but with the paltry level of the censure, the RFL have created another embarrassing situation for us to be going on with.

It would have been better if they had done nothing and hoped everyone had forgotten about it. Our sport is a joke.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Im glad the RFL have responded in 'any way'

McManus's response to the defeat at the Challenge Cup Final was beyond embarrassment with his continued response, and hugely ingenuine recognition of Warrington being the deserved winners on the day. I would have had the same response, regardless of my own club interest.

Ive lost massive respect for Saints as a club, as a result. 

4 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

By fining him the cost of what, for him,  constitutes a round of drinks, but you knew that.

I don’t get this. A fine whatever it’s truer worth to a person is still a fine and nobody likes receiving them or paying them. There’s nothing embarrassing about McManus being punished here. 

I don’t get people’s anger at the level of fines handed out. I suppose it’s the off season so people need something to moan about. 

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I don’t get this. A fine whatever it’s truer worth to a person is still a fine and nobody likes receiving them or paying them. There’s nothing embarrassing about McManus being punished here. 

I don’t get people’s anger at the level of fines handed out. I suppose it’s the off season so people need something to moan about. 

Surely a fine is supposed to be part punishment, and part deterrent? How is this a deterrent?

He should have had the book thrown at him.

Archived