New Super League Logo

13 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Looks like a '5' to me at first glance.......which is probably most important........can't we stick with anything? 
We've had more logo changes than structure changes in the SL era........I like the original 'S' design the super league adopted in OZ and UK first of all (bottom 2)..........should have stuck with that for 22 years and it'd be a pretty strong brand by now.....for me the later versions just look like poorer imitations.

images-1.jpg

download.png

download.jpg

images.jpg

download-1.png

Super_League_(Australia)_Logo.jpg

Always loved this one

36C27317-C2A0-42D0-B0CD-C9628574FF5D.jpeg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

How does a lion head represent the premier league? 

How does a crest with 2 ‘V’s’ represent the NRL?

1. The Premier League is an FA competition.The crest of the FA is three heraldic lions. The crown added to the lion shows this is the pinnacle of the English football pyramid.

2. The Kangaroos wear a shirt with two chevrons. The chevron is used in many rugby league kits. The use of a logo with two chevrons shows this is the pinnacle of the Australian club game.

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

I appreciate that FWIW I am actually growing to dislike the logo the more I see it, I think its quite clunky and badly executed (I didn't mind it when I first saw it) which is why I'd like to see more about the full branding before I make my mind up on whether it works or not. I'm surprised (or maybe not) that they haven't released more to coincide with the picture release but they are probably saving it for the season launch.

What Chris said. If theres a story behind the creation of this logo you have to communicate that. Otherwise we have threads like this, with people referring to it as a crab, number 5 etc etc.. 

It might not make you like it any more, but at least you have an understanding of how they got to where they did.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

20 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

1. The Premier League is an FA competition.The crest of the FA is three heraldic lions. The crown added to the lion shows this is the pinnacle of the English football pyramid.

2. The Kangaroos wear a shirt with two chevrons. The chevron is used in many rugby league kits. The use of a logo with two chevrons shows this is the pinnacle of the Australian club game.

But you know the back story, you have to have a knowledge of the sport to know what they represent, the logo doesn't tell you what the back story is or tell an outsider of the sport what the sport is, which was the point being raised.

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

But you know the back story, you have to have a knowledge of the sport to know what they represent, the logo doesn't tell you what the back story is or tell an outsider of the sport what the sport is, which was the point being raised.

Gotcha. I understand now.

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

5 hours ago, Shaggy said:

3. Super League is a rugby competition. There's an S, which stands for Super League, and it has a rugby ball shape in it.

I don't get why people don't get it? It's a minor tweek on what we already had, which was already pretty obvious that it was a rugby competition beginning with an S.

It's a worse tweek, but it's still similar. 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

For me it's a backward step on what we already had. It's like they took the idea of what we already had and made it worse. I get that they wanted to make it bolder and simplistic, but they didn't need to move too far away from the S shaped rugby ball which has become synonymous with our league. The rugby ball as 'part of' an S makes it look strange (in a bad way) and forcing it to fit into a shield has made it harder to tell if it's an S or a 5.

I actually liked the slight tweek to the S for the First Utility sponsorship, which was kept in the next design to fit the RFL shield rebrand (a bit of corporate consistency gone a bit far). They should have kept that S.

It's not actually an "s". The new logo has a solid shield shape with an outline.

the curved lines, knocking out part of the shield, make the shape of a rugby ball, and I think quite co-incidentally, it makes the shield look akin to an "S".

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

It's not actually an "s". The new logo has a solid shield shape with an outline.

the curved lines, knocking out part of the shield, make the shape of a rugby ball, and I think quite co-incidentally, it makes the shield look akin to an "S".

I don't think it's coincidental at all. It's pretty deliberate in design!

8 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I don't think it's coincidental at all. It's pretty deliberate in design!

Co-incidental initially i'd say, with the benefit of it then looking something like an 'S'.

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

You honestly think that, after 24 years with the S as a symbol, it wasn't deliberate in the design in this new logo to have an S?

I sort of agree, but why have what is pretty much a deformed, clunky S. 

I'd rather it was a mistake, because if it is genuinely meant to be an S then it is some of the worst design I have seen.

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I sort of agree, but why have what is pretty much a deformed, clunky S. 

I'd rather it was a mistake, because if it is genuinely meant to be an S then it is some of the worst design I have seen.

It’s to incorporate a chevron, innit. A subtle nod to League culture (possibly too subtle).

What the new logo seems to have in its favour is it appears to be quite a ‘transportable’ one that should be easy to incorporate on products and merchandise.

Archived