Toronto to play at York's new stadium

Just in from York...

York City Knights are excited to confirm that the brand new York Community Stadium will host a 2020 Betfred Super League fixture between Toronto Wolfpack and Wakefield Trinity on Sunday, March 22.

The match will form part of a Mothering Sunday rugby league double header with the Knights also playing a home Betfred Championship fixture on the same day (fixtures out November 17th).

Toronto Wolfpack featuring Jon Wilkin, Ricky Leutele and rumours linking them to signing Sonny Bill Williams  will go head to head with Wakefield Trinity’s Danny Brough, Ryan Atkins and David Fifita in a blockbusting encounter.

18 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

I wouldn't quite go that far but we are buzzing yes ? 

Is it known when will York's first game at the new stadium be? (Just thinking about some trips up the A1 this year ? )

19 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Test events in January to get the safety certificates then hopefully all good to go in February! 

The wonderful relationship between the two progressive clubs continues...can't wait to see your new stadium on TV...keep up the good work York!

12 minutes ago, cookey said:

I do like the selection of Headingley,Saracens and York for their three on the road games.Really should be bumper crowds and publicity for all three games.

The Double header opening game should easily sell out, both Hull and Cas have decent away support at Headingley, add in the fact that its the first game plus it’Totonto and SBW first game in SL.

My only issue is are the away support going to fit in the Western terrace?

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I had £20 on at 33s last week, licence to print money ?

You are a fast learner Eddie......gonna have to start calling you Fast Eddie...quick off the mark you are.

15 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Vancouver is a balmy 12C that time of year, should be growing/promoting in Canada

6 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

True, depending on freak weather but New York City could have been a viable option too. 

You've got to understand that Toronto being denied any central funding is the real cause of this.   That coin would have been used by the club for junior development and staging these early season games in unique areas.   By SL and the RFL denying any such funding it has made the variables much more limited geographically and limited our development in the junior ranks.  It can be easily solved if funding is restored to what the other clubs get but I don't think that is going to happen due to their greed, shortsightedness,lack of intelligence and poor business savvy.

Of course we are delighted to be able to share a game with York.......every cloud has a silver lining.

22 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Well done York, this will be a massive event for them, who’d have thought Sonny Bill Williams would be playing at York

Don't get too excited. According to the negative posters on here he will probably be injured.

Hopefully he will play and it should be a great day.Well done YORK.

10 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

Don't get too excited. According to the negative posters on here he will probably be injured.

Hopefully he will play and it should be a great day.Well done YORK.

The only problem is that Toronto doesn't really have a chant or anything....maybe the fans of York can make up a chant for the folks from their namesake formerly York (now Toronto) in the New World.  THEN WE COULD COPY IT AT THE NEXT HOME GAME AT LAMPORT?

On 05/11/2019 at 12:49, Chrispmartha said:

The Double header opening game should easily sell out, both Hull and Cas have decent away support at Headingley, add in the fact that its the first game plus it’Totonto and SBW first game in SL.

My only issue is are the away support going to fit in the Western terrace?

Personally, I don't think this game needed a double header. It's the first game of the season and Hull bring a big following. This could have sold out on its own given a proper push.

I'd have thought playing Hull KR at the KCOM would have been a better bet for them given the size, but hey ho; I wasn't there.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

10 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Do you know what form these January test events will take, Gav?

One will be a hospitality event to test things like fire evacuation plans ect

Then

A small scale stadium event (YCFC U18s maybe)

Then

Large scale stadium event (YCFC v LUFC or Knights v Rhinos maybe)

14 hours ago, Kayakman said:

The only problem is that Toronto doesn't really have a chant or anything....maybe the fans of York can make up a chant for the folks from their namesake formerly York (now Toronto) in the New World.  THEN WE COULD COPY IT AT THE NEXT HOME GAME AT LAMPORT?

2 4 6 8 who do we appreciate, To-ron-to Wolf-pack. 

Archived