Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
my missus

SBW TORONTO

Just now, RobertAM said:

Yep yuck it up. He's gonna do really well as will the Pack, just hope you like crow, you'll be eating plenty.

A big crow pie swerved up just for Man of Kent...some folks never learn.

• Haha 1

Just now, Kayakman said:

A big crow pie swerved up just for Man of Kent...some folks never learn.

You mean "Man who Can't"

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

You mean "Man who Can't"

Good luck in your venture. Only time will tell if it was the right choice.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

I’ve always said Toronto in Super League would generate short-term headlines but long-term Tonga will have a far bigger impact on the game than the novelty of a transatlantic club.

There is a TV deal which is fundamental to the game's UK strength, being negotiated over the course of his contract. His signing will almost surely generate PR buzz, wider media coverage, increased crowds and higher ratings. Naturally, that will help increase the size of Superleague's next TV deal, and support it's ongoing survival. You don't see that as a big impact?

And talking about Tonga, what if SBW comes out saying he wants to play for Samoa and inspire them to replicate Tonga's success? That will be a nice little promotion of the international game and next rlwc won't it? I mean, most of your media outlets probably ignored Tonga didn't they? But I bet they won't if SBW talks about them. It all helps and it's all good. 

Edited by ghost crayfish
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

You mean "Man who Can't"

Well played @RobertAM

I cannot wait until TWP go public on the stock market.  I'm throwing some money in just for fun!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

Well played @RobertAM

I cannot wait until TWP go public on the stock market.  I'm throwing some money in just for fun!  

Me too!

Just now, CanadianRugger said:

Well played @RobertAM

You following the same route as  Argyle then.. Good on ya.

1 minute ago, RobertAM said:

Me too!

Me three.

13 minutes ago, SL17 said:

You following the same route as  Argyle then.. Good on ya.

Why not?  They are cashing in on the sports nutrition/legalized marijuana market and it's definitely a good growth play now that all the initial marijuana rush has died off and the real money can be made. 😎

I don't mind throwing a few grand in and seeing where it goes.

Edited by CanadianRugger

Well the signing of SBW has made the sports pages in Singapore, which was unexpected.

• Like 6

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

The mass exposure of this shows that you can do as much rebranding, clever marketing etc as you like, but the investment of cold hard cash in the playing quality of SL squads will be what drives the club game over here forwards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bert1 said:

If they got Christian Wade that would draw some NA attention. A better version of Regan Grace.

Who ?

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Who ?

Up until last year a wasps and England RU winger who is in the practice squad at the Buffalo Bills NFL team just across Niagara Falls from Toronto. I personally don't see it as a big signing but just to answer your question.

53 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The mass exposure of this shows that you can do as much rebranding, clever marketing etc as you like, but the investment of cold hard cash in the playing quality of SL squads will be what drives the club game over here forwards.

' Playing quality ' ? , Not quite , SBW isn't the best there is available for the money , will Toronto get a positive financial return ? , But it is what it is 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

There is a TV deal which is fundamental to the game's UK strength, being negotiated over the course of his contract. His signing will almost surely generate PR buzz, wider media coverage, increased crowds and higher ratings. Naturally, that will help increase the size of Superleague's next TV deal, and support it's ongoing survival. You don't see that as a big impact?

It won’t hurt in the short term but, again, the SBW novelty will wear off quickly. 

He’s an aging second rower in the rough, tough, gritty Super League. Everyone is going to want to take him out (legally, of course!).

• Haha 1

Just now, Man of Kent said:

It won’t hurt in the short term but, again, the SBW novelty will wear off quickly. 

He’s an aging second rower in the rough, tough, gritty Super League. Everyone is going to want to take him out (legally, of course!).

His age is irrelevant when it comes to this next season. He’s just played in the WC for the All Blacks, how many other SL 2nd rowers have the quality to do that (regardless of it being a different sport)? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

' Playing quality ' ? , Not quite , SBW isn't the best there is available for the money , will Toronto get a positive financial return ? , But it is what it is 

He's still the up there as the biggest name a SL club have signed in the past decade. Perhaps Widdop maybe comes close? 

My point wasn't SBW specific tbh. If we want the best and biggest names over here we're going to have to pay for them. 

As for Toronto getting a positive financial return, we'll have to see. Its certainly placed them in the conscience of the global "rugby" audience.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

You'll be glad to hear then that the novelty act has only signed a 2 year deal according to reports.

52 minutes ago, Eddie said:

His age is irrelevant when it comes to this next season. He’s just played in the WC for the All Blacks, how many other SL 2nd rowers have the quality to do that (regardless of it being a different sport)? 

All of them, if they had a couple of years to lose enough fitness. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Are you playing up to some sort of pantomime villain role? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Are you playing up to some sort of pantomime villain role? 

No, like I said, if Wigan were paying that much for a 34yo back rower with dodgy knees people would be saying WTF. It’s clearly bonkers from a playing perspective but I understand why they have done it.

• Haha 1

A lot of people said the same things when he signed for the Roosters.

he may be older now but he's a genuine athlete. Physically I think he'll be fine, and in good shape.

time will tell, but can't wait to see him running out in SL

• Like 2

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

9 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Does it?

That a club will spend ridiculous amounts of money on a past it player whilst ignoring that that kind of money could be well spent on finding local talent and developing it for the next 1st teamers. Now if they'd signed Barrett, Faf de clerk, Matsushira, Itjoe or Mtawarira THAT would have sent a message regarding the sport.

I don't see these choices as being binary. We can and should do both.

Apart from Itjoe, whose name I have heard but wouldn't recognise, I haven't a clue who those people are. I guess many others wouldn't either.

I've followed RL all my life and always wanted it to succeed. I'm 100% behind the WP and what they bring to RL. I also feel a dose of caution is needed in this instance. A lot of money has been spent on one player who I don't see as robust as some think. RL is more punishing on the body than RU so hopefully SBW will manage that well. 

I hope it works out for TWP the way they envisage. There must be benefits David Argyle sees in the complete package, including sponsorship, TV deals etc which I'm not privy to. Time will tell. 

• Like 2

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

13 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

who was the last rl player to come back from ru a better or even the same player?

Sonny Bill Williams

• Like 1