SBW TORONTO

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

If this true, what this signing does is to make it cool to play rugby league.

It’s literally as simple as that. And for a code that has struggled for attention, signing SBW is a huge shot in the arm.

SBW is famous for his professionalism and the way his attitude rubs off on the players around him. 

Irrespective of what he does on the field, it's what he does off the field for the club - and the code - that you'll find his value.

As for the naysayers, welcome to 2019.

7 minutes ago, solly said:

SBW is famous for his professionalism

:kolobok_shok:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

:kolobok_shok:

If you're thinking about his night time escape from Canterbury back when he was young and dumb, then yes, a shocked emoji would be just right.

But that was a long, long time ago and his professionalism since then, particularly the influence he had on the Sydney Roosters squad during his time there is well known.

I can only assume that his professionalism continued during his time in union and, of course, I see no reason why it wouldn't continue with the Wolfpack.

For an athlete used to travelling the world plying his trade, I can only think he would be a huge positive for the Toronto players as they gear up for a year of trans-Atlantic travel and work.

TWP seem to be making great inroads into the Canadian sporting consciousness, this could elevate things to the next level. The fan interest in the club/sport is there, so is this the catalyst for players making the switch. SBW would be a big draw for many an aspiring young Canadian rugby player. 

"The record deal would see Williams earn around four times the wages paid to NRL superstar Daly Cherry-Evans ($10 million over eight seasons) and AFL superstar Lance Franklin ($10 million over nine seasons)."

If the $10M figure is correct it is more than double the highest paid union "star" which will shake the union tree.

With all the money sloshing around in union I did n't expect to see the return of the day when a League player would be earning more than anyone in union. And by so much ! 

Little old Rugby League is not so inconsequential after all. 

https://www.ruck.co.uk/highest-paid-rugby-players/

This is a very interesting move. 

Who is it for? Is it to inspire the average Canadian to come and watch? 

Is it to inspire both Canadian rugby union fans and players to enjoy RL?

Is it to give the sport a name that the Canadian kids can look up to?

Is SBW really that big a name in Canada?

I would suggest for that money, you could sign the English RU captain and get all of the above, and more so in the UK than SBW ever will. Perhaps it could have been done for less for a younger player that could deliver you more...

Still, good to see a shake up in world rugby.

11 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I would suggest for that money, you could sign the English captain and get all of the above, and more so in the UK than SBW ever will. Perhaps it could have been done for less...

I'd say it's all of those things. As for the English captain, I don't know but is he known in rugby league circles?

SBW is known in both so... 

20 minutes ago, Yosser said:

With all the money sloshing around in union I did n't expect to see the return of the day when a League player would be earning more than anyone in union. And by so much ! 

Little old Rugby League is not so inconsequential after all. 

https://www.ruck.co.uk/highest-paid-rugby-players/

There would be a fair few NRL players in that list as it is.

new rise.jpg

16 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I would suggest for that money, you could sign the English captain and get all of the above, and more so in the UK than SBW ever will. Perhaps it could have been done for less...

We know what we are doing...sit back...enjoy the show...learn how it is properly done.

18 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

But isnt Lockers signed on for Wigan next season and hes older than SBW as well..........

Great time to sign him too, right off the back of the Union WC and all its hype. He's been the face of the All Blacks Adidas link-up for a while, so will be interesting if his presence at Toronto will open up a few doors for them with Adi. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

5Live sport bulletin leading with massive undeclared payments in Union followed by their biggest star signing for League. Is it the late 80's? 

Expecting a new Stock, Aitken and Waterman ear worm incoming.

I don't think anyone outside of England knows who the England captain is.

Would be interesting to see if TWP attempt a raid on Canadian Union now too. Imagine them learning from SBW.

new rise.jpg

2 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I don't think anyone outside of England knows who the England captain is.

Would be interesting to see if TWP attempt a raid on Canadian Union now too. Imagine them learning from SBW.

We can't lose our focus....which is a playoff spot in SL this season and to keep the snowball rolling down the mountain and gaining momentum......more signings to come.

16 minutes ago, solly said:

I'd say it's all of those things. As for the English captain, I don't know but is he known in rugby league circles?

SBW is known in both so... 

This signing is not necessarily for the RL fans, but, it will satisfy them too.

is Farrell known in RL circles? Google him and make the call yourself.

1 hour ago, solly said:

If this true, what this signing does is to make it cool to play rugby league.

If you dismiss the fact that it was always cool to play Rugby League.

18 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

We know what we are doing...sit back...enjoy the show...learn how it is properly done.

Now being that smug should really mean you should head in the opposite direction to SBW Kayakman!

Only St Helens and Wigan are allowed that level of smugness in TGG and sometimes Leeds.

6 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Yeah but what have Toronto done to raise the profile of RL?

Yeah but still no TV deal and no kids playing RL and no Canucks on the Books ...... call themselves a Super League team?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived