John Drake

Sat 9 Nov: Intl: New Zealand v Great Britain KO 7am (UK Time) (TV)

Who will win?  

62 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• New Zealand by 13 points or more
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 1 to 6 points
    • Great Britain by 7 to 12 points
    • Great Britain by 13 points or more

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/11/19 at 07:00

No use blaming the coach. It's not his fault. Nor the fault of the last one, nor the fault of the one before that, ad infinitum.

It's the PLAYERS!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

One up 5 drives and a kick predictable rubbish. No offloads, no 2nd faze, no ball movement.... this really is awful to watch. NZ are missing some of their best forwards too.... get Bennett gone 

• Like 2

Just now, JohnM said:

Hmmm mm.  It's not him who is too slow. As far as I can see , he's nor on the pitch. If he was......

No, but he decided to pick - by his own admission - an experimental GB team with about half the players out of their usual club positions against New Zealand in New Zealand. 

We’ve clearly gone backwards on this tour and Bennett has gone from a certainty to being England coach in WC2021 to perhaps clinging on to his job. 

• Like 1

Deary me..awful game...and I was one of the rare people looking foward to this tour!!!

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I have honestly never seen GB/England play worse than this. 

I have.

• Thanks 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

No use blaming the coach. It's not his fault. Nor the fault of the last one, nor the fault of the one before that, ad infinitum.

It's the PLAYERS!!!!!!!

Its not all his fault.

But the negative gameplan has to be on him and the squad he selected was fairly baffling.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Oh come now, there are so many options to choose from ... 

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, Oxford said:

for the first time in a while I fear the group stage in the WC.

I was thinking this. I think they'll be ok in the group stages with the likes of Greece etc. But they could be straight out after that.

new rise.jpg

5 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It's the PLAYERS!!!!!!!

That works when you are playing a team who are so obviously ahead of you in all departments that it wouldn't matter what you did.

New Zealand are not so far ahead of Great Britain that a pummelling is the expected outcome. I'd make NZ favourites in any game out there but GB should be in with a shout with the players on the field.

So, yes, it could be all the players' fault - and basic errors usually are - but when they are playing the same pattern week in week out then they are obviously playing to the style the coach wants. And that style is being shown up big time.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

No been a fan for long, then.?

• Like 1

The forwards are doing an ok job. It's the real lack of quality in our backs that is really letting us down.

Bennett is playing to what he sees as our strengths. He knows our backline is sub standard.

• Like 2

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Myself an probably the rest of us have spent our entire lives defendkng RL from the many detractors from our game that we are not 5 drives and a kick! Its simply not possible to defend those statements under Bennets turgid approach

Edited by iangidds
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, MZH said:

64-10 in Australia springs to mind immediately.

I'm going with "the entire 1999 tour" instead.

But so many 'greatest hits' to choose from.

I really don't understand the England/GB way of thinking.

We have maverick players in SL that have created things out of nothing over the last couple of domestic seasons, then we pick them for an international side and seemingly suppress their abilities with a stifling game plan.

• Like 2

"Son, can you play me a memory, I'm not really sure how it goes,

but it's sad and it's sweet and I knew it complete, when I wore a younger man's clothes"

And the previous coaches excuse? And the one before him and the one before the one before him....ad infinitum. 

And as if to prove the point, the Gb v Australia clip the BBC have just shown. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EastLondonMike said:

The forwards are doing an ok job. It's the real lack of quality in our backs that is really letting us down.

Bennett is playing to what he sees as our strengths. He knows our backline is sub standard.

Blake Austin has run 40m more than the best forward so I'm not sure the forwards strength is very strong.

• Like 2