Wow that's what you call a punishment.

Loiner

I know it's cross code but Saracens have been docked 35 points and fined £5.5 million for breaching the salary cap, picture that scenario in Rugby League.

There's already a thread on this on cross-code. I will leave this open for anyone who wants to discuss similar punishments in RUGBY LEAGUE.  No more commentary on union, what it means for union or anything about that sport, this is a rugby league forum after all.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• ckn locked and unlocked this topic

Well I still think a 12 point deduction for going bust is harsh. If Widnes had got docked that many!!!!?

Do remember a Welsh football side being docked 68 points!

This is another 'only in RL' thing I like to point out.

When the likes of Salford were punished well after infringing we were told it was incompetence from the RFL, how can it be so late, it is unfair and so on.

Salary cap infringements are relative. Less than 100k has to be looked at in context and more importantly how intentional they are. 

This seems to be a serious case of deliberately trying to break the rules (indeed it may turn out to be a totally valid loophole which will be slammed shut as a result of this case). Its not a simple admin error.

I've seen alot of comments on social media saying that RL punishments need to be harsher. There is no comparison though. For the most part RL breaches have been relatively minor but this example was systematic bending of rules to massively breach the cap for 3 years running. While I guess the cynics won't believe it but if there was a similar senario in RL no doubt there'd also be very harsh punishment 

1 hour ago, ckn said:

There's already a thread on this on cross-code. I will leave this open for anyone who wants to discuss similar punishments in RUGBY LEAGUE.  No more commentary on union, what it means for union or anything about that sport, this is a rugby league forum after all.

Not often I go over there ,but I. Nipping over now 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

8 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Not often I go over there ,but I. Nipping over now 

Make sure you use appropriate protection and wash your hands thoroughly afterwards. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Think its 5 points a BP win in ***** so translates as 7 wins.

Equivalent is 14 points in RL 

Puts RL soft touch into perspective.

However if Saints got a 14 points deduction they still would have secured the league leaders shield and SL win.

Think the fact they where poaching all the best talent and creating a 80s Wigan is what has prompted the radical action.

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

I think a major break of the cap needs a big punishment but like what Leeds and Wigan have done a fine is necessary 

Wigan blatantly and openly blew the top off the cap to avoid relegation knowing any deduction would occur the following season. They even said they would pay the champ winners to stay down!

The effective of fines is dependant on income, fining Amazon/Google etc £5m is irrelevant, fining  Salford/Widnes £5m is a business ender.

All those that say that is how to treat them are clueless about the realities.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Wigan blatantly and openly blew the top off the cap to avoid relegation knowing any deduction would occur the following season. They even said they would pay the champ winners to stay down!

So how  much do you reckon it was worth to them staying up? That's what the fine should have been or their share of the SL money for the following season, that would have been a fair punishment

RL clubs aren't awash with money so a fine of that magnitude would kill the club off. That has to betaken into account but admittedly some fines seem rather small in RL. Are the RL fines a deterent? There doesn't seem to be a pattern of re-offending by any club. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

9 hours ago, Padge said:

The effective of fines is dependant on income, fining Amazon/Google etc £5m is irrelevant, fining  Salford/Widnes £5m is a business ender.

All those that say that is how to treat them are clueless about the realities.

This, this and this. 

The “it’s not enough”, “they should throw the book at them” etc party about Catalans-Warrington and McManus are clueless about. 

13 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

Melbourne Storm were additionally stripped of their titles in 2010, do not strictly speaking the harshest punishment possible.

Any club who wins a title through cheating should lose that title. That would seem to be the barest minimum. We can argue about details of subsequent punishment later but, effectively, breaking the salary cap is playing ineligible players.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 06/11/2019 at 06:54, RayCee said:

RL clubs aren't awash with money so a fine of that magnitude would kill the club off. That has to betaken into account but admittedly some fines seem rather small in RL. Are the RL fines a deterent? There doesn't seem to be a pattern of re-offending by any club. 

Erm Wigan reoffended 

On 06/11/2019 at 06:54, RayCee said:

Like Bradford and their fine over Harris??

Archived