Same Old, same old ....

Oxford

I know it's just bookies and someone's odds have to be the lowest to achieve and amongst the highest to fail. And this will always seem especially true when you have relegation but only Keyser Soze is missing from this group of the doomed. The point is why would people want to turn up to watch their team if even before it all kicks off this is what you see: Favourites for the drop ......

image.png.7dd289992b5ae776d270fd248cea8487.png

That's four clubs all of whom have recruited pretty well and yet there they are. So are people motivated to turn up in spite of the predictions or not?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

You could say the same for football though, why are Watford and Norwich selling out when both look nailed on to go down? As I said on this forum recently (and got slated for it), a relegation scrap is more exciting than treading water in mid table year on year and staying up on the last day is like winning something. 

36 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You could say the same for football though, why are Watford and Norwich selling out when both look nailed on to go down? As I said on this forum recently (and got slated for it), a relegation scrap is more exciting than treading water in mid table year on year and staying up on the last day is like winning something. 

I don't want a discussion about P&R but I would like to ask have you been through that with your side?

Beyond this it's effect on fans in a sport like ours that concerns me and are we putting people off?

5 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I don't want a discussion about P&R but I would like to ask have you been through that with your side?

Beyond this it's effect on fans in a sport like ours that concerns me and are we putting people off?

Yeah I’m a Norwich fan and much prefer being a yo-yo club to being one that hovers in mid-table in any division. My RL team is Saints though so if you’re asking about that specifically then no I haven’t. 

I doubt if anyone would be put off going to the match because of some bookies odds though. 

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I doubt if anyone would be put off going to the match because of some bookies odds though. 

Yes I agree but being in that group all the time even before the first whistle must surely tell on likely attendance and motivations.

By the way this is like having our own thread how good is that?

2 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Yes I agree but being in that group all the time even before the first whistle must surely tell on likely attendance and motivations.

Yeah maybe, though bookies lay odds to reflect what they and punters think is going to happen, and who would disagree that HKR, Wakey and Hudds aren’t in the mix to go down, especially as there’s unlikely to be a weak promoted team this year as there has been the last few seasons. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

and who would disagree that HKR, Wakey and Hudds aren’t in the mix to go down

First of all Salford are the same odds so must be counted in.

But if were just about to lay out for a season ticket and saw the odds and heard the pundits what then?

By the way it's your turn  to post and next time you have to come up with a thread!

3 minutes ago, Oxford said:

But if were just about to lay out for a season ticket and saw the odds and heard the pundits what then?

By the way it's your turn  to post and next time you have to come up with a thread!

If you look for your odds before buying a ticket to watch your team you have a problem , better to go and support somebody different 

3 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I’m surprised about Salford being in with the other three too but that’s life and I doubt if any Salford fans will check the odds at Corals before deciding whether to get a ST or not. 

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

If you look for your odds before buying a ticket to watch your team you have a problem , better to go and support somebody different 

2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

If your commitment to a club is based upon betting odds, I’m not sure sport is for you. 

Oi, get off our thread you two, skates on!

No I'm not talking about the odds I'm talking about the whole experience which can't even get you past the old season.

4 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Well, how much of actually going to the Rugby is about the actual rugby anyway?Isn’t it more of a social thing?

Now then, I've never been to a match to be social or sociable in my life and I won't have scurrilous rumours spread around like that on this forum.

39 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Salford were probably the same odds for 2019 yet made the Grand Final.

I'd prefer to be the underdog to be honest.   Seems to get the best out of your players.

I must admit I hoped SRD weren't put down as a top 5 finish because teams need motivation to win but what do fans need to turn up?

Let me put this another way then you want to market the opening fixtures of your season and make is as exciting as you possibly can and so

Betfred Super League Grand Final replay to kick off Salford Red Devils' 2020 campaign

and at the same time you have

Grand Final winner      St Helens 5/2                                      v                

Relegated                    Salford        4/1

And not only that you get to play them at least 3 times.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

What do you want the bookies to do here?

Commit hara kiri of course!

I know it's not always obvious what we're saying when we've typed but it's not about the bookies! But while we're on the subject people make decisopns allday everyday based on chances, probabilities - likelihoods and if you're a Saints' fan turning up seems like a really good idea but what does a fan think at the other end of the scale?

Do they turn up no matter what?

Do they fork out hard earned when the chances are so remote?

When say Salford fans don't come to your ground or the crowd at Wakefield looks small on TV are we expecting too much of people that they should become all excited at the prospect?

Archived