TV Deals need to be sorted

Looking at the fixtures, both Catalans Dragons Home Games & Toronto Wolfpack Home Games in Canada are not listed as on TV! 

Why on earth are TWP away games been pencilled in for Thursday's and Fridays! A bit of common sense please. Any UK time Kick off on Saturday or Sunday is better than Thursday or Friday for Eastern Time North America. Even if not on TV the games could be followed on Twitter and the radio through mediums like TuneIn. Not when people are at work though. 

Furthermore do SL not realise websites are global, all TV Channels showing live games should be listed on the official SL website fixtures, not just sky sports, for example Fox Sports Australia. 

Needs sorting. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Looking at the fixtures, both Catalans Dragons Home Games & Toronto Wolfpack Home Games in Canada are not listed as on TV! 

Why on earth are TWP away games been pencilled in for Thursday's and Fridays! A bit of common sense please. Any UK time Kick off on Saturday or Sunday is better than Thursday or Friday for Eastern Time North America. Even if not on TV the games could be followed on Twitter and the radio through mediums like TuneIn. Not when people are at work though. 

Furthermore do SL not realise websites are global, all TV Channels showing live games should be listed on the official SL website fixtures, not just sky sports, for example Fox Sports Australia. 

Needs sorting. 

We in Toronto are waiting anxiously to hear about local TV deals, which might provide coverage for Sky and others to pick up. The SBW signing can't hurt that effort!

As for Thursday/Friday games, I can imagine the uproar if Toronto were exempted from them, and did not have to have the same short turnaround as other teams. We can record games that are on TV and watch them later (shutting off social media for a few hours, which is always a good thing!).

4 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Needs sorting. 

Reported that Catalans meeting with BEIN faltered when the TV company cancelled the final meeting.  Apparently Guasch is keen to revisit negotiations. 

4 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Needs sorting. 

The RFL and SKY CEOs really should have consulted with Smudger06 before making these big commercial decisions about TV deals.

31 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Reported that Catalans meeting with BEIN faltered when the TV company cancelled the final meeting.  Apparently Guasch is keen to revisit negotiations. 

I'm sure I'm not alone in immediately assuming this was a result of a move from the Vichy lot.

25 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

I'm sure I'm not alone in immediately assuming this was a result of a move from the Vichy lot.

Maybe. Plus maybe it would help if they had some French stars to sell to French broadcasters? They may simply have googled Joel Tomkins and given up. 

I read about a month ago that SKY are desperate to wrestle Champions league football from BT in 2021, yes the year of our next TV deal. Apparently they'll throw everything at getting it back from BT at a cost of possibly 1.3 billion. Now what they spend on our game is loose change, cheap for acquiring the true beautiful game, but when SKY looks for loose change to bolster footy tv rights bids other sports suffer, i.e. RL. Fingers crossed we get at least the same as last time.

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Am I right in my recollection that Bein wanted to keep the contract the same but Elstone and SL wanted more so pulled out saying they could get a better deal elsewhere. And now we’re going to end up with no French TV deal at all?

Exact, not a smart move from SL, mais bon...

What we need is a watchNRL style app, that maybe is blacked out in big markets (UK-OZ) but that offers a global and legible broadcast plan around the world and includes SKY and BBC shows, not just games. I hope they take that into consideration in the new tv contract in 2022.
Catalans are still looking for a broadcaster and a crew to film their home games. Not sure what could come up from the negotiation.
As for Toronto, the current SL broadcaster in Canada is guaranteed to get the 4 Wolfpack games Sky has picked, that’s not enough and Wolfpack has a crew to film their home and away games, they just need to sell it now with the blessing of other SL clubs and SL itself.

1 hour ago, Tre Cool said:

Seems there is a French tv deal for the lower leagues starting shortly, maybe the French Magic, with Occitaine.  Sort of mirrors Our League but a direct deal.

3 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Seems there is a French tv deal for the lower leagues starting shortly, maybe the French Magic, with Occitaine.  Sort of mirrors Our League but a direct deal.

and it is a tv channel available for free online 

https://viaoccitanie.tv/direct-tv/

The off season if a little bit beter with French games on tv.

58 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I read about a month ago that SKY are desperate to wrestle Champions league football from BT in 2021, yes the year of our next TV deal. Apparently they'll throw everything at getting it back from BT at a cost of possibly 1.3 billion. Now what they spend on our game is loose change, cheap for acquiring the true beautiful game, but when SKY looks for loose change to bolster footy tv rights bids other sports suffer, i.e. RL. Fingers crossed we get at least the same as last time.

That's a worry but then again I suspect Sky doesn't pay us enough for the ratings we deliver.

I would be disappointed if SLE doesn't get a fair whack above the current £200m five-year deal. 

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Am I right in my recollection that Bein wanted to keep the contract the same but Elstone and SL wanted more so pulled out saying they could get a better deal elsewhere. And now we’re going to end up with no French TV deal at all?

About the size of it 

48 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

What is Robert Elstone playing at!

Literally his only job is to sort out tv deals, yet next year it looks like both Catalans and Toronto home games will not be broadcast as they were this year. Well done Robert. 

Yep, great move that. Get rid of the French tv deal. Did he actually think that French tv stations were gonna pay to show a sport that literally has no visibility and only one club in its pro competition? 

54 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Superleague really needs to be able to offer overseas clubs more than 12 months security if they're going to get the most out of TV deal potential there.

Agreed from a commercial point of view, but would lose the integrity of the competition also. 

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

Agreed from a commercial point of view, but would lose the integrity of the competition also. 

Are you suggesting that the AFL, NRL, NFL, NBA, NHL, MLS and Major League Baseball lack integrity in their competitions because all their teams have secure membership?

15 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Are you suggesting that the AFL, NRL, NFL, NBA, NHL, MLS and Major League Baseball lack integrity in their competitions because all their teams have secure membership?

They don’t have some teams being safe from relegation while others are not. 

20 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Yep, great move that. Get rid of the French tv deal. Did he actually think that French tv stations were gonna pay to show a sport that literally has no visibility and only one club in its pro competition? 

One club in a city if 120,000 in a Country if 67,000,000!  A literal drop in the ocean!

Nah we don't need a larger league they said!  Less foreign teams they said!  ?

3 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Apparently NRL is mickey mouse because it lacks "integrity of the competition" whatever that means.

I find it funny that people on here can profess about "integrity of the competition" when the RFL and SLE literally rearrange the deck chairs every second season.

Archived