TV Deals need to be sorted

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

What’s the score with Toronto and TV rights this year?

Are they able to able to do their own deal for home games or are we waiting for Argyle to cave in and fund it himself again?

Surely if they are getting nothing from the Sky deal Toronto are free to sell their home games to say BTSport in the UK. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

What’s the score with Toronto and TV rights this year?

Are they able to able to do their own deal for home games or are we waiting for Argyle to cave in and fund it himself again?

Are they able to able what ?

Let's not be so quick to criticise Elstone for refusing to give away our rights in Framce pretty much for free after almost 15 years of French involvement in SL. We will never get a paid deal if we keep giving it for free (negligible amounts).

2 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Same for Catalans. SLY will be waiting to see what broadcasters are willing to play ball with them.

Will be interesting to see what happens if Toronto can’t get a paying deal.

I’d imagine Argyle would still be expected to foot the bill for filming if they want to be on Sky. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Let's not be so quick to criticise Elstone for refusing to give away our rights in Framce pretty much for free after almost 15 years of French involvement in SL. We will never get a paid deal if we keep giving it for free (negligible amounts).

I agree and there does come a time when Elstone and Super League cant keep giving these rights away. There is plenty of money in France and its only right that Super League try and get a piece of that pie. 

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

You have to create the demand first. Are French tv stations obligated to give money away to RL. 

I would love French t.v. to pay for SL but right now what do they get for their money? A single French team in a small French city is not enough. Super League needs to offer them a product which will make them want to buy into the sport.

I think some people on here are deluded if they think one French club and small town teams like Salford, Huddersfield are going to create market value. 

8 hours ago, The Daddy said:

You have to create the demand first. Are French tv stations obligated to give money away to RL. 

I would love French t.v. to pay for SL but right now what do they get for their money? A single French team in a small French city is not enough. Super League needs to offer them a product which will make them want to buy into the sport.

I think some people on here are deluded if they think one French club and small town teams like Salford, Huddersfield are going to create market value. 

There is a demand, they want to broadcast it. But they want it free.

If we dont put a value on our rights, why would anyone else.

We may need to do things differently and cover them ourselves and sell them on, but we cant just keep gifting rights.

People criticised Nigel Wood for selling to Sky for £200m and are now criticising Elstone for not taking £70k from French tv.

If Sky nor any other broadcaster is interested in broadcasting the 2 overseas clubs home games then they need to be on ouRLeague. For free, and people all over need to know they are on there for free! If we are to embrace overseas clubs in the English top tier, their games need to be available to both to us and in their home territories, otherwise it's rather pointless. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

There is a demand, they want to broadcast it. But they want it free.

If we dont put a value on our rights, why would anyone else.

We may need to do things differently and cover them ourselves and sell them on, but we cant just keep gifting rights.

People criticised Nigel Wood for selling to Sky for £200m and are now criticising Elstone for not taking £70k from French tv.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't expect French tv to pay for rights, but it's up to the powers that be to deliver a product they can't refuse. Thats how trade works. If they are not offered a product that makes them want to pay for it whose fault is that and who is going to be inconvenienced the most if SL isn't shown on tv, RL or the tv station?

2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I'm not saying that we shouldn't expect French tv to pay for rights, but it's up to the powers that be to deliver a product they can't refuse. Thats how trade works. If they are not offered a product that makes them want to pay for it whose fault is that and who is going to be inconvenienced the most if SL isn't shown on tv, RL or the tv station?

So what exactly do you want right now? You want him to give the rights away.

And then you will moan.

I’d be quite happy to give the rights away for those games. Being on TV is better than not being on TV, the sport needs to turn those viewers into new sponsorship deals.

Once we’ve got a second french team we might then have a real package to ask for some cash. One game in France every week with the two derbies thrown in. 

10 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

So what are you suggesting needs to happen then?  

It's not about what we think needs to happen or what we want to happen. It's about whether any French tv station thinks it's worth paying for SL, if they don't then SL wont get shown in France it's simple. 

3 hours ago, Cdd said:

I’d be quite happy to give the rights away for those games. Being on TV is better than not being on TV, the sport needs to turn those viewers into new sponsorship deals.

Once we’ve got a second french team we might then have a real package to ask for some cash. One game in France every week with the two derbies thrown in. 

If however those two French teams had a diet of opponents from small English towns which hardly any Frenchmen have ever heard of, why would package be worth any significant amount to a French broadcaster?

3 hours ago, Cdd said:

I'd rather give it away for free to a different provider than take £70k from the same provider. 

Its difficult to make long term TV rights with networks in France and Canada to a competition with promotion and relegation. Any multi season TV rights deal would massively lose value if the one team from that market is relegated..

70K TV deal in France is not much but something is better than nothing and if Elstone stuffs that up he should be judged harshly as this is his job but if he can get an increase of more than his annual salary then he has earned his keep tight there! 

needs to be TV coverage of games in France and Canada for competition and team sponsors back in UK to get product reach they pay for so at the worst case scenario may have to have Catalans home games on the regional station that is broadcasting the french elite one? and Wolfpack may have to pay for there own games to be televised.

On 08/11/2019 at 17:19, kev p said:

Why don’t RL set up their own station & all profits theirs? Not rocket science

You are right. It's not rocket science. It's much more complex than that. Yes, it's expensive. It also needs talent, sponsors, adverts and above all, an audience. 

Catalans still talking to beIN Sports and will meet Eurosport France on 20th November

https://www.lindependant.fr/amp/2019/11/10/super-league-les-dragons-catalans-engages-sur-tous-les-fronts,8533858.php?__twitter_impression=true

The above story also includes interesting nuggets about les Dracs forming a Paris business club.

A meeting is set for 12 December with the state investment bank, 20 companies, the Australian ambassador, James Maloney & other players plus Robert Elstone, who is “seriously considering” taking Magic Weekend to Paris.

Archived