Valentine Holmes

9 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

He will have got paid for his trouble and his agent will have made his money.

NFL practice squad members are on a fraction of their full squad colleagues,he’d have earned more money staying in the NRL.

28 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

And yet some would have believe money is all these players care about......

Exactly.  As one forum member commented on the George Ford thread (although the quote was about the possibility of Owen Farrell coming to League)...  "What kind of idiot would accept less money and less everything in a short career like sports provides because they want to prove themselves?"

What this fails to address is that sportspeople are motivated by more than just money. Of course money is a massive motivation but so is the chance to prove yourself in a new sport or a new competition, to assume it is 'just' money fails to see that these are hugely competitive people who thrive on proving themselves.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 hours ago, Davo5 said:

NFL practice squad members are on a fraction of their full squad colleagues,he’d have earned more money staying in the NRL.

He will have made well over $100k in 12 months I think, I read somewhere that anyone getting to the train ons are guaranteed that kind of money.

5 minutes ago, dkw said:

He will have made well over $100k in 12 months I think, I read somewhere that anyone getting to the train ons are guaranteed that kind of money.

"NFL practice squad players make a minimum of $8,000 per week that they are on the practice squad.

If a player remains on the practice squad for an entire regular season (at a minimum salary of $8,000 per week), he would earn a minimum of $136,000 over the full regular season if he keeps his spot on the practice squad. If a team makes the playoffs, these payments continue for as long as the team is in the playoffs."

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

"NFL practice squad players make a minimum of $8,000 per week that they are on the practice squad.

If a player remains on the practice squad for an entire regular season (at a minimum salary of $8,000 per week), he would earn a minimum of $136,000 over the full regular season if he keeps his spot on the practice squad. If a team makes the playoffs, these payments continue for as long as the team is in the playoffs."

Its not too bad pay really.

23 minutes ago, dkw said:

So a lot less than his NRL contract and he'll have earned every cent as practice squad members are used as human crash test dummies.

39 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So a lot less than his NRL contract and he'll have earned every cent as practice squad members are used as human crash test dummies.

With the potential if he made it to make a lot more and prove himself in one of the toughest competitions in the world where few non-US players succeed. Or just stay in the NRL, play the same club teams, play the the SOW team and win almost every international playing for Australia. Maybe he had worked out even if he failed and returned to the NRL, he still had plenty of years to make money, maybe he just had wider horizons. Young people take gap years, maybe this was his equivalent. 

3 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

With the potential if he made it to make a lot more and prove himself in one of the toughest competitions in the world where few non-US players succeed. Or just stay in the NRL, play the same club teams, play the the SOW team and win almost every international playing for Australia. Maybe he had worked out even if he failed and returned to the NRL, he still had plenty of years to make money, maybe he just had wider horizons. Young people take gap years, maybe this was his equivalent. 

The point I'm making is he took a chance to make a career in a different sport and that money wasn't the primary reason.

Archived