Jump to content

Valentine Holmes


Recommended Posts

The former NRL star, now on the practice squad of the NFL club New York Jets, is considering a return to rugby league.

The North Queensland Cowboys have offered him AU$1 million a year multi-year contract. However the Toronto Wolf Pack is also showing some interest in signing him.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/valentine-could-be-next-to-join-wolfpack/news-story/47d0ea31dc0c4348ea57a850779a829e

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

The former NRL star, now on the practice squad of the NFL club New York Jets, is considering a return to rugby league.

The North Queensland Cowboys have offered him AU$1 million a year multi-year contract. However the Toronto Wolf Pack is also showing some interest in signing him.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/valentine-could-be-next-to-join-wolfpack/news-story/47d0ea31dc0c4348ea57a850779a829e

Let him stay in the NFL. Jarrod Hayne was a disaster when he returned for the NFL.

Is Jarrod Hayne even with a Rugby League club now?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

Let him stay in the NFL. Jarrod Hayne was a disaster when he returned for the NFL.

Is Jarrod Hayne even with a Rugby League club now?

Jarryd Hayne is not playing in the NRL or Super League because he is facing charges of rape which have not yet come to trial.

Before he was arrested he was beginning to show some form. But his career is probably over now.

The Valentine Holmes prospect is not comparable to Hayne's current terrible situation.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

The former NRL star, now on the practice squad of the NFL club New York Jets, is considering a return to rugby league.

The North Queensland Cowboys have offered him AU$1 million a year multi-year contract. However the Toronto Wolf Pack is also showing some interest in signing him.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/valentine-could-be-next-to-join-wolfpack/news-story/47d0ea31dc0c4348ea57a850779a829e

Hayne was a better player than Holmes when he made the switch and came back a shadow of the player he was,big gamble by the Cowboys paying Holmes $1m a season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

I get the feeling that after SBW every player off-contract will be "linked" or "believed to be in discussions" with Toronto.

Agents will use the Toronto factor to up the value of their players.

The real loser here could well be Australian union as they will have to pay more to keep their players in union.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Agents will use the Toronto factor to up the value of their players.

The real loser here could well be Australian union as they will have to pay more to keep their players in union.

If there is a sniff of big money we may see rules changing again imo.  

Holmes is either FB or on the Wing.  Plays whats in front of him.  I dont see him returning and not making an impact.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Clubs can only have two ‘ marquee ‘ players though can’t they ?

That won't stop the agents in their quest to get bigger money contracts for their players and upping their own money as well. Don't forget as well that a team playing out of New York seems only about 18 months away giving agents even more leverage when it come to players contracts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

I get the feeling that after SBW every player off-contract will be "linked" or "believed to be in discussions" with Toronto.

It reminds me of Man City when they became a rich team ??

  • Like 2

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I expect to see Holmes back in the NRL either this season or next.

It is so difficult to break into the NFL for guys like Holmes.  Yes, he is a very talented athlete but the US collegiate system is full of massively talented athletes who have grown up playing the game, the talent pool is huge.

Christan Wade (also on the international pathway programme) had a much more impressive pre-season than Holmes as a running back candidate and he only made the Bills practice squad and Holmes is only on the Jets practice squad because he is exempt from the 10 man roster on the international programme (certainly kickers and probably the defensive/offensive line are more suitable for the international pathway programme).

I expect reality of the situation will dawn on Holmes and he will return to being a big name in Rugby League.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I expect to see Holmes back in the NRL either this season or next.

It is so difficult to break into the NFL for guys like Holmes.  Yes, he is a very talented athlete but the US collegiate system is full of massively talented athletes who have grown up playing the game, the talent pool is huge.

Christan Wade (also on the international pathway programme) had a much more impressive pre-season than Holmes as a running back candidate and he only made the Bills practice squad and Holmes is only on the Jets practice squad because he is exempt from the 10 man roster on the international programme (certainly kickers and probably the defensive/offensive line are more suitable for the international pathway programme).

I expect reality of the situation will dawn on Holmes and he will return to being a big name in Rugby League.

Agree with all of this. 

Reality is even someone like Julio Jones or Odell Beckham who are great WRs would find it hard to start for a NRL team on the Wing as the requirements are very different between the sports. 

NFL to NRL is a much much bigger shift than RL to RU for a wing / centre. 

Its a tough ask to go between the NFL and RL or RU sports. Good luck to anyone who tries it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I expect to see Holmes back in the NRL either this season or next.

It is so difficult to break into the NFL for guys like Holmes.  Yes, he is a very talented athlete but the US collegiate system is full of massively talented athletes who have grown up playing the game, the talent pool is huge.

Christan Wade (also on the international pathway programme) had a much more impressive pre-season than Holmes as a running back candidate and he only made the Bills practice squad and Holmes is only on the Jets practice squad because he is exempt from the 10 man roster on the international programme (certainly kickers and probably the defensive/offensive line are more suitable for the international pathway programme).

I expect reality of the situation will dawn on Holmes and he will return to being a big name in Rugby League.

christian wade also has an american girlfriend IIRC which may mean he gives it a bit more of a shot as i bet the pay on the practice squad isnt too bad.. but have also seen him linked with the wolfpack and that would be very interesting as he wouldnt need a marque spot but would be a convert from another sport meaning a different salary cap exemption.. and he wouldnt be that far from where he is now in Buffalo either, living wise (for some of the season anyway, before everyone starts with "they live in Manchester etc etc").

Edited by RP London
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Agents will use the Toronto factor to up the value of their players.

The real loser here could well be Australian union as they will have to pay more to keep their players in union.

My heart is bleeding. Is there a justgiving page for the endangered fatties? 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/11/2019 at 09:11, jim_57 said:

I get the feeling that after SBW every player off-contract will be "linked" or "believed to be in discussions" with Toronto.

Agents everywhere will be thinking that with the Wolfpack getting promotion then everyday is Christmas.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Agents everywhere will be thinking that with the Wolfpack getting promotion then everyday is Christmas.

well there will be no shortage of turkeys 

  • Like 1

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...