Ashes Tour Confirmed

The world Cup venues are announced 2 years in advance. World Cup qualifying resolved 2 years in advance. World Cup draw will be done by end of year. Ashes venues announced and tickets on sale a year in advance. 

Sorry, I must be seeing things again. Are we actually organising international RL quite well in this country at the moment? 

In terms of the venues, very well done for getting Tottenham, I think that's one that a lot of us were hoping for. Gonna have two internationals in two years in London being played in 60,000 capacity grounds (spurs is slightly more I know). I think it's a good idea. By having one big game it is something people might take notice of. Take the World Cup, a high profile, semi-final game with 60,000 in will get people talking more than a couple of group games in 60,000 grounds but with only 25-30,000 in. Just having the one game with such a big crowd and the atmosphere of an Ashes test will get the non-rl fan wanting more and then we can turn round and say, oh yeah, there's another massive game next year just down the road. Let's start selling the World Cup tickets at the Ashes game and get some of those curious newbies pumped up for more top level international sports. Rugby league is the greatest game!!! 

I haven't had my pills this morning... that coffee helps though.... 

3 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

?

Elland Road?

Even worse, Bolton? Why not just have it at Wigan.  

Old Trafford or the Ethiad might not completely sell out but would make it more of an event, especially for floating / new fans. Having it at a bog standard League One football ground that only holds 28k is completely uninspiring, and don’t the RFL think they can sell loads more tickets than that for the first test against Australia?

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Even worse, Bolton? Why not just have it at Wigan.  

Even as a Wigan fan I'm not keen on the DW Stadium, but I must admit there have seen some great atmospheres in there for games against Australia.

Bolton is a pain to get to, and away from, and I only live about 8 miles from the stadium.

Looking forward to the Spurs one though.

1 minute ago, Dr Tim Whatley said:

Great to have this sorted (roughly) a year in advance. Tottenham's stadium really is something special - great to have an RL international in London and especially so at that venue.

Seeing as you’re a doctor, I'll ask a hard question. How many fans do you expect to turn up? 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

A year in advance... very pleasing (and novel) to see... 

I’ll definitely go to the game in London and may be tempted by Elland Road. A little disappointed with Bolton as the first game location as I thought they’d be looking at somewhere a bit bigger for the First Ashes Test in years... 

But that they’ve been announced and tickets are on sale is great news so well done the RFL and the organising team.

2 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Seeing as you’re a doctor, I'll ask a hard question. How many fans do you expect to turn up? 

If the series is level at 1-1 maybe 45-50,000? If we’re 2-0 down 30,000. Hopefully plenty of London based Aussies will turn up  

Would have made sense to have the first or second test there and the last one at Elland Road. 

I can sort of see why they've picked the venues they have. Bolton holds 28,000 and should be full, Elland Road holds something like 38,000 these days and the NZ dead rubber got 32,000. An Ashes game at Elland Road should sell out but even if it got the 32,000 that would average 30,000 for the Northern games and add on 60,000 for Tottenham means an average of 40,000 for the series.

The locations of the northern stadiums makes sense as well, one each bang in the middle of Lancashire and Yorkshire so no heartland fans have to travel too far to get to a game. I guess with Bolton there wasn't much choice for grounds of that size, only other one would be Blackburn but I don't know much about its location or anything. 

The powers that be seem to be finally listening to fans when we say again and again, a full stadium is more important than a big stadium. They've gone for grounds they are confident they can sell, not big grounds they hope they can sell that are only 2/3rds full come game day. A full ground is better for atmosphere and image than a huge half empty ground, even if the crowd in the half empty ground is bigger. 

18 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Even as a Wigan fan I'm not keen on the DW Stadium, but I must admit there have seen some great atmospheres in there for games against Australia.

Bolton is a pain to get to, and away from, and I only live about 8 miles from the stadium.

Looking forward to the Spurs one though.

Agreed the DW isn’t great but it is at least an iconic RL town, Bolton (other than a cheap stadium) offers nothing. Is there even an amateur team there?

update - forgive me Bolton mets. 

Archived