Jump to content

Recommended Posts

There's a piece on the NRL site saying that Samoa are looking to recruit SBW in the hope that it inspires a Tonga-like surge in their fortunes.

This could be interesting, and if it happens would add to the mix for the 2021 RLWC.

As an aside the government of Tonga has declared a public holiday to mark their nation's victory over the Kangaroos. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Wouldn’t he play for NZ?

He can, but the idea is that maybe he's following the Pacific islands trend. 


Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At his age  after having done everything I can see him committing to Samoa .

Edited by DavidM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But he's never won the RLWC and playing for the Kiwis would give him a chance Samoa can't give, imho. 

  • Like 1

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

But he's never won the RLWC and playing for the Kiwis would give him a chance Samoa can't give, imho. 

He’d get in their team playing SL at 36 ? Doubt it personally

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be pretty confident of seeing him play for Samoa as his farewell hoping to help them emulate Tonga and Fiji in knocking off one of the big 3.

It would be a boost for the World Cup especially if England could "conveniently" draw Samoa in their group.

Side note, is it actually official that SBW has signed? Nothing on the Wolfpack website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Samoa are only a few players short of being as good as New Zealand I think. 


new rise.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d be hoping he pledges to Samoa , I think he will , and others follow as happened with Tonga . It’s all good for the WC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He’d get in their team playing SL at 36 ? Doubt it personally

If he stays fit then yeah no problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Rhinoferg said:

Unless you are playing for Australia then you won't win the world cup

That's what this lot thought as well.

 

Aussies.jpg

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are a resurgent France away from being able to put on a fantastic 8 team tournament... 

Oz 

eng 

nz

tonga 

samoa

fiji 

png 

france 

A boy can dream...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering if we're going to end up sacrificing New Zealand for Tonga and Samoa.

I don't have a major problem with that, but we need to be careful that we don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

  • Like 4

People called Romans they go the house

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MrPosh said:

I'm wondering if we're going to end up sacrificing New Zealand for Tonga and Samoa.

I don't have a major problem with that, but we need to be careful that we don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

SBW playing for Samoa wouldn't affect them too much but if RTS defected it would be a huge blow, especially if a few more went with him like Taumalolo.

Samoa have a damn good team as is honestly, they're underperforming recently but nearly upset a few teams in 2014 with an arguably worse side. Might be time for a new coach.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Nowhere near IMO.

Pinched this from Clarkey's Rugby League column on Facebook:


1. Roger Tuivasa Sheck 
2. Ken Maumalo 
3. Hymel Hunt 
4. Joseph Leilua 
5. Jamayne Isaako 
6. Anthony Milford 
7. Chanel Harris Tavita 
8. Payne Haas 
9. Danny Levi 
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona 
11. Josh Papalii 
12. Sonny Bill Williams 
13. Martin Taupau 
14. Jazz Tevaga 
15. Junior Paulo
16. Isaac Liu
17. Josh McGuire 


new rise.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Pinched this from Clarkey's Rugby League column on Facebook:


1. Roger Tuivasa Sheck 
2. Ken Maumalo 
3. Hymel Hunt 
4. Joseph Leilua 
5. Jamayne Isaako 
6. Anthony Milford 
7. Chanel Harris Tavita 
8. Payne Haas 
9. Danny Levi 
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona 
11. Josh Papalii 
12. Sonny Bill Williams 
13. Martin Taupau 
14. Jazz Tevaga 
15. Junior Paulo
16. Isaac Liu
17. Josh McGuire 

Never heard of them... 😉 

Get your point but they'd need a good coach to bind them as a group as well...

Edited by GeordieSaint
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Pinched this from Clarkey's Rugby League column on Facebook:


1. Roger Tuivasa Sheck 
2. Ken Maumalo 
3. Hymel Hunt 
4. Joseph Leilua 
5. Jamayne Isaako 
6. Anthony Milford 
7. Chanel Harris Tavita 
8. Payne Haas 
9. Danny Levi 
10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona 
11. Josh Papalii 
12. Sonny Bill Williams 
13. Martin Taupau 
14. Jazz Tevaga 
15. Junior Paulo
16. Isaac Liu
17. Josh McGuire 

Australia has the depth to afford to lose Haas, Papalii, McGuire etc. If RTS, Maumalo, Isaako, NAS all went over the Kiwis would not be winning anything against Australia for quite a while unfortunately.

Not saying anyone can really stop them unless they change the rules but I'd be careful what we wish for here. Taumalolo, Taukieaho, Fonua-Blake etc leaving has already dented the Kiwis as evidenced by the likes of Blair still getting a game.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

We are a resurgent France away from being able to put on a fantastic 8 team tournament... 

Oz 

eng 

nz

tonga 

samoa

fiji 

png 

france 

A boy can dream...

And all the miseries in the whole of TGG and on this forum can't stop you doing that and it is what it's all about ..... I'm still dreaming of Salford making it to Old Trafford so keep the faith and Eyes on the Prize!

  • Thanks 1

“Thank you Salford & Eccles and all that was left was hope!”     

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Australia has the depth to afford to lose Haas, Papalii, McGuire etc. If RTS, Maumalo, Isaako, NAS all went over the Kiwis would not be winning anything against Australia for quite a while unfortunately.

Not saying anyone can really stop them unless they change the rules but I'd be careful what we wish for here. Taumalolo, Taukieaho, Fonua-Blake etc leaving has already dented the Kiwis as evidenced by the likes of Blair still getting a game.

NAS has come out and said that he would only ever play for the Kiwis.

Isaako only just played for Samoa. I hope he goes back there.

RTS is obviously the best Kiwi player right now but I remember DWZ doing a really good job in Denver. 

  • Like 1

new rise.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrPosh said:

I'm wondering if we're going to end up sacrificing New Zealand for Tonga and Samoa.

I don't have a major problem with that, but we need to be careful that we don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

They still can beat England...

  • Haha 1

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...