4 players and a ship!

Bearman

We also provided the tour business manager Wilf Gabbatt. At the end of the tour Wilf was presented with a gold inscribed pen and a bound book of programmes (actually copies of "The Rugby league News" which covered all matches and acted as programmes) by the Australian management.

On his death the pen and book were left to Bob Brady. Bob never saw sight of the pen but he received the book which he passed on to me some years ago.

Of Willie Horne the notes state " 24, 5.8, 11.4, engineer, Has lived all his life in Barrow and his all round play has made him a local idol. Horne is very solid and can stand up to a hard game in splendid style."

He also gets a mention in the report on the decisive second test in Brisbane which England won, - " England came again, however, with the elusive Willie Horne shooting round the blind side to send Basset in for his second try."

The report says the crowd started to line up at 4 am and there was a steady flow through the turnstiles when they were opened at 7 am. The gates were closed at 11.40 am. The official attendance was 45,190 but after the gates were closed it is reported that the crowd tore palings from the fences, climbed fences and crashed through gates so it will have been a higher figure.

Mention is also given of someone else who lived locally in the person of Ginger Hughes who played up the coast. I have not the time to look it up but I recall the notes refer to his tremendous singing voice.

Archived