Sign in to follow this  
Damien

SBW signs for Toronto - Confirmed

56 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

How in the heck do you know that? Argyle could just as likely have been happy owning Leigh and building them up into a perennial SL power just as he intends to do with TWP. But Leigh's management wasn't interested and he's taken the harder more expensive route that I am sure he will find oh so much satisfying in the end.

I don't ' know ' that for certain , but if it really was SL domination as easily and quickly as possible one of the existing SL clubs at that time would have been easier , don't forget at that time the salary cap outside SL was around 500 K if I remember correctly , it was Dereck Beaumont who got it raised 12 months later 

It was Mr Perez who was involved , and what route has he taken with OttAwa ? , Taking Leigh at the top of the Championship would possibly have short cutted Toronto's entry into SL by 2 years 

23 hours ago, Kayakman said:

So Toronto signing Sonny Biill Williams IS a BIG DEAL then since you are/were  planning to go and watch him!

AAAHHHAAA!!!!!   I've got you by the big toe now Gubrats!   You just admitted two things:

1) You want to see the Wolfpack play and,

2) You feel the Wolfpack signing is positive and a move in the right direction for RL.

WE WILL MAKE A WOLFPACK SEASON TICKET HOLDER OUT OF YOU YET GUBRATS!!!!! 

P.S. Don't tell Harry.

As I put , if Toronto play in the cup and draw Leigh at the LSV then I'll be along to watch them ( holidays permitting  ) as I would anybody , be that West Wales or Wigan 

Having now seen the fixtures if we did draw Toronto in the Cup quarters , I'll be sunning myself in Turkey 

Edited by GUBRATS

4 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Nobody has ever asked me about Strictly Come Dancing but it doesn’t mean that is any sort of gauge of public interest.

As I say, I’m done with this. You have your views, I have mine.

You have an interest in ballroom dancing ?

Nice

As we sit in a corner of the gilded W Suite at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium, where he has just been unveiled as Toronto's marquee signing, I ask which of his achievements give him the deepest satisfaction. "My children," he replies, without hesitation. "Easy. From a sporting point of view? I guess it would have to be the NRL championships that I was a part of – they were a bit more special than anything else. Growing up as a league man, you envisage those moments so much.

"It has been an unbelievable journey to be an All Black. But when I hear some of the boys, like Sammy Cane, talk about the jersey and how much it means to them, I see the same in me when I was young – except that I was dreaming of playing in NRL."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12285953

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Damien said:

Nice

As we sit in a corner of the gilded W Suite at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium, where he has just been unveiled as Toronto's marquee signing, I ask which of his achievements give him the deepest satisfaction. "My children," he replies, without hesitation. "Easy. From a sporting point of view? I guess it would have to be the NRL championships that I was a part of – they were a bit more special than anything else. Growing up as a league man, you envisage those moments so much.

"It has been an unbelievable journey to be an All Black. But when I hear some of the boys, like Sammy Cane, talk about the jersey and how much it means to them, I see the same in me when I was young – except that I was dreaming of playing in NRL."

It was nice and refreshing to hear in the BBC interview too that he didn’t dream of playing for the All Blacks. He dreamt of playing for the Kiwis

• Like 1

On 16/11/2019 at 17:44, GUBRATS said:

' Ride'  in what way exactly ?

Allow discretion within the salary cap for signings like this. I know we have the marquee rule,but what if Toronto wanted to sign, Ford, Farrell, 3 SA internationals at Union which would propel the game forward,or do we say no, sign that lad from the M62 corridor instead.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

On 16/11/2019 at 13:25, JonM said:

Exeter RU sell out every game in a 12k stadium AFAIK. Ipswich (also half the size of Warrington) gets ~20k in championship football.

Point is that looking just at the population of Exeter and saying it's less than half the size of Warrington isn't capturing the whole story. Exeter has a big catchment area around the city. Warrington doesn't.

So Why? 

Why do these large towns give off the image of being small or unheard of?

Why can Exeter RU attract people to travel hours whilst warrington don't advertise in the next closest town?

I've heard it's due to being too close to man Utd and Liverpool, well how do the rugby union teams survive in London? 

I know that if I travelled to Blackpool I'd see advertisements for the sale sharks. I know that during my day in Manchester I'll see no advertisement for any rugby league and yet probably see some for union.

There is no reason why warrington couldn't attract large numbers from cheshire, but it's a small time mentality that is there biggest problem.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, North but south said:

So Why? 

Why do these large towns give off the image of being small or unheard of?

Why can Exeter RU attract people to travel hours whilst warrington don't advertise in the next closest town?

I've heard it's due to being too close to man Utd and Liverpool, well how do the rugby union teams survive in London? 

I know that if I travelled to Blackpool I'd see advertisements for the sale sharks. I know that during my day in Manchester I'll see no advertisement for any rugby league and yet probably see some for union.

There is no reason why warrington couldn't attract large numbers from cheshire, but it's a small time mentality that is there biggest problem.

There's several answers I guess. One is that our sport is low profile. Most people who follow RL do so because they played when they were young or someone took them to games as a child. Not that many people find RL without some existing connection. So Warrington simply putting up advertisements in Knutsford, Northwich (or even Lymm or Runcorn) isn't going to do much. 

Another is that Exeter is the centre of a wider region - people travel there to do their shopping, go to the cinema or whatever. It's their nearest city. There's relatively few English SL clubs that could say the same - Leeds & Hull perhaps.

I do think that competition is a big factor too and it's not just Liverpool & Manchester Utd. There's five NW clubs in the premier league and several others that have been there in the recent past. Every small town in the NW that doesn't have a RL team has a club playing at a decent level of football. Similar sized places elsewhere in the country tend not to. Look at the population of say Basingstoke compared with say Burnley or Accrington. Most RL clubs are in a market that's pretty crowded. 

Sale have shown that it is possible to build an audience for a team which draws from a wider region, in a relatively low profile sport, but they still struggle for fans and have made huge losses in spite of getting massively more funding than any RL club. Lancashire cricket have done the same for T20.

Back on topic, I'm not really convinced that SBW signing for Toronto will have much effect on crowds here. Its like if a top NHL or NBA star signed for a British team at the end of their career - nobody outside of the small number of existing ice hockey or basketball fans would have a clue who they were - and they're already watching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, North but south said:

Well various RU teams couldn't at the top level and had to move out of London. Those that remain in London have huge backers and lose vast amounts of money.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Back on topic, I'm not really convinced that SBW signing for Toronto will have much effect on crowds here. Its like if a top NHL or NBA star signed for a British team at the end of their career - nobody outside of the small number of existing ice hockey or basketball fans would have a clue who they were - and they're already watching.

Its created alot of interest for the Wolfpack and rugby in general over here...you have to remember the first name of the team is Toronto....anything extra we get out of it over there is just cream.

4 hours ago, JonM said:

It’s not SBW’s, nor Toronto’s job to increase the gates of English RL clubs. I imagine it’s about improving their own. I know nothing about basketball but if a British club had signed Magic Johnson, I’m fairly sure that would have seen an increase in gates for that club.

This is exactly the problem with most RL clubs; entitlement. They want things to happen but don’t seem to want to do the groundwork and are always blaming everyone but themselves for the lack of interest shown by punters. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

It’s not SBW’s, nor Toronto’s job to increase the gates of English RL clubs.

No, indeed. 

30 minutes ago, Themusician_2 said:

I wonder what the actual press is in Canada if there was any about this signing.

CBC broadcasted the press conference live.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

It’s not SBW’s, nor Toronto’s job to increase the gates of English RL clubs. I imagine it’s about improving their own. I know nothing about basketball but if a British club had signed Magic Johnson, I’m fairly sure that would have seen an increase in gates for that club.

This is exactly the problem with most RL clubs; entitlement. They want things to happen but don’t seem to want to do the groundwork and are always blaming everyone but themselves for the lack of interest shown by punters. 

Nobody has suggested it is , but several Toronto fans on here have suggested it will , it might , it might not 

So your second paragraph is irrelivant , you're criticising the clubs for no reason other than one you've dreamt up 

22 hours ago, DoubleD said:

It was nice and refreshing to hear in the BBC interview too that he didn’t dream of playing for the All Blacks. He dreamt of playing for the Kiwis

Willie Mason must have had a wild variety of dreams then.  New Zealander dreaming of Tonga and Australia.

23 hours ago, Damien said:

Nice

22 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Wonder what's changed since his interview in 2010 after he'd just signed for the NZRU when he said: "I'm coming home to pursue my childhood dream and work towards an All Blacks Jersey"   ?

https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/2728907-league-convert-sonny-bill-williams-signs-for-nz-to-pursue-all-blacks-dream/

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Nobody has suggested it is , but several Toronto fans on here have suggested it will , it might , it might not 

So your second paragraph is irrelivant , you're criticising the clubs for no reason other than one you've dreamt up 

It was in response to a post saying that he won’t increase the attendances in this country. That’s the bit that’s irrelevant as it’s not up to him (or any away club) to ensure attendance is up.

Know nothing about basketball myself, but have heard of Magic Johnson...and if he signed I’d be tempted to see a game for curiousity. Does the same apply to Sonny Bill Williams? Don’t think so. The rugby equivalent to Johnson would be Jonah Lomu, the only player that has ever been known outside RU circles.

Yes SBW was a big name in RU (possibly the current biggest?), but that’s not saying much with the profile of RU. Roughly 97% of the RU viewing audience of 37 million for the 2011 RUWC final came from 8 nations (four countries of the British isles, NZ, France, South Africa and Australia). RU is a small world and SBW’s “all black” status has been overplayed. As a regular viewer of RU (just internationals, six nations, RUWC) I don’t think I’ve ever watched NZ to watch him, in contrast to Lomu. SBW is a great player, and who knows he could trigger an influx of interest in Canada (and here), but I don’t see him making the kind of impact a Lomu would have...also the way rugby league is defensively much more structured now with less big runs means it’s harder for players to stand out and make eye catching plays (same applies in Union so no way would Lomu be able to rampage through defences today like he did back then). In non collision sports like basketball and football the players are afforded much more space and freedom to do stuff on the ball and really stand out so it’s no surprise they become such big stars.

Strewth, I haven’t suggested SBW is the biggest name on the planet or anything. 

But to pretend this hasn’t given RL  massive exposure it normally wouldn’t have is just bizarre. 

Edited by Johnoco
  • Like 5

It was in response to a post saying that he won’t increase the attendances in this country. That’s the bit that’s irrelevant as it’s not up to him (or any away club) to ensure attendance is up.

So why state it isn't , when nobody has suggested it is ?

9 hours ago, North but south said:

An absolute outrage if true.

Small-time mentality as you say.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

So why state it isn't , when nobody has suggested it is ?

Not sure what you’re on about mate.