Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

SBW signs for Toronto - Confirmed

1 hour ago, gittinsfan said:

I haven't seen any comments from Mr Elstone & Co. Have there been any?

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/1154/sonny-bill-williams-welcome-to-super-league

Super League Chief Executive, Robert Elstone commented: “We've seen many talented players in Super League over the past 24 seasons - but probably no one with the global reach of Sonny Bill Williams.  

“That reach, that appeal, that magic has been hard-earned. He’s performed at the highest level, in both codes, on rugby pitches all over the world. I can't think of any other player who has done that for such a sustained period. 

“So more than being the most impactful player we have succeeded in bringing into the competition, he's arguably the most impactful player we could have chosen to recruit into the competition. 

“It's a huge feather in the cap for the Wolfpack and presents a raft of opportunities for Super League.

“It's great for the competition to see the Wolfpack so powerfully underline their credentials and intent for Super League 2020. “Undoubtedly, he will help fill stadia on both sides of the Atlantic and all our commercial partners will benefit enormously from such an iconic, global superstar being in our game.  “As the person charged with growing Super League, and as a lifelong rugby league fan, that opening round double header at Headingley is inked into my diary.”

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/1154/sonny-bill-williams-welcome-to-super-league

Super League Chief Executive, Robert Elstone commented: “We've seen many talented players in Super League over the past 24 seasons - but probably no one with the global reach of Sonny Bill Williams.  

“That reach, that appeal, that magic has been hard-earned. He’s performed at the highest level, in both codes, on rugby pitches all over the world. I can't think of any other player who has done that for such a sustained period. 

“So more than being the most impactful player we have succeeded in bringing into the competition, he's arguably the most impactful player we could have chosen to recruit into the competition. 

“It's a huge feather in the cap for the Wolfpack and presents a raft of opportunities for Super League.

“It's great for the competition to see the Wolfpack so powerfully underline their credentials and intent for Super League 2020. “Undoubtedly, he will help fill stadia on both sides of the Atlantic and all our commercial partners will benefit enormously from such an iconic, global superstar being in our game.  “As the person charged with growing Super League, and as a lifelong rugby league fan, that opening round double header at Headingley is inked into my diary.”

Not with a Salary Cap in place with only two Marquees allowed.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Damien said:

Super League Chief Executive, Robert Elstone commented: “As the person charged with growing Super League, and as a lifelong rugby league fan, that opening round double header at Headingley is inked into my diary.”

Well I’d bloody hope it would have been anyway 😆😆

• Like 3

SKY TV execs were out celebrating SBW's signing when they realized they aren't airing but a handful of TWP's games.

Back to the table boys.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

Well I’d bloody hope it would have been anyway 😆😆

Unless it clashes with Sunday dinner.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Interesting tweet by the publisher of this organ. 

Either he knows something we don’t or he’s been at the CBD oil.

It’s obvious.

They don’t have any room to significantly grow crowds so they are looking at other revenue streams to make some real money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Copa said:

It’s obvious.

They don’t have any room to significantly grow crowds so they are looking at other revenue streams to make some real money.

Their main issue will be Sky for another 12 months.

Like them or not over the last few years Toronto have generated more publicity and media coverage for the game than any other club

Great signing. Hope they have a few more tricks up their sleeve

Would be interesting to guage the interest this is generating in Toronto though. Do the locals know what they have got or is there more of a fuss over here 

Anyway looking forward to seeing him in action against Saints. Should be fun

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Their main issue will be Sky for another 12 months.

I’m sure they are all across their main issues.

1 hour ago, headtackle said:

Like them or not over the last few years Toronto have generated more publicity and media coverage for the game than any other club

Great signing. Hope they have a few more tricks up their sleeve

Would be interesting to guage the interest this is generating in Toronto though. Do the locals know what they have got or is there more of a fuss over here 

Anyway looking forward to seeing him in action against Saints. Should be fun

Just heard an interview with the club's marketing director. They appear to be focussing on the UK market at the moment because it is quite frankly a much bigger deal there. One of the hosts here said this is the sort of thing that moves a niche sport into the mainstream.

Next week's SBW press conference is going to be held at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium.

Edited by TIWIT

8 minutes ago, Copa said:

I’m sure they are all across their main issues.

Probably with the signing of SBW. Its checked a box with a broadcaster. They still need to deal with SLY.

Various posts removed.

Please, everyone, STAY ON TOPIC!!!

I do not want to have to lock this thread.

If you see it drifting, or any trolling, goading etc, PLEASE REPORT IT.

Do NOT respond to trolling, and don't indulge in it either.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Almost locked there. Better get in before it is...I've never seen him play in the flesh. Early start for Magic Sunday then.

Good news.

It’s absolutely brilliant news for Rugby League, and anyone who says it isn’t doesn’t really care anything about the game.

We all have different views on SBW, but no-one can deny that he is an excellent rugby player, or that he is box office.

All the naysayers really need to wind their necks in and enjoy the ride.

Obviously the usual attention seekers won’t be able to help themselves, but surely the grown ups amongst us can see the good that TWP are doing the game overall.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

“It's great for the competition to see the Wolfpack so powerfully underline their credentials and intent for Super League 2020. “Undoubtedly, he will help fill stadia on both sides of the Atlantic and all our commercial partners will benefit enormously from such an iconic, global superstar being in our game.

This quote from Elstone.

As a club entering SL, doing so much more than we have EVER done to be promoting the game, and NOT receiving a central distribution from the TV money pot, I find dishonouring.

However - I truly hope Wolfpack do get the most incredible TV deal, which outshines that which SL negotiates for all their efforts and actually, sacrifice and investment. And they get to keep the TV deal they create for themselves. It hopefully will make the small-mindedness of all our M62 clubs sit up and take notice. The world is changing. Stop being parochial.

Thank you Toronto Wolfpack for re-igniting my own personal interest in RL

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, The British Lion said:

This quote from Elstone.

As a club entering SL, doing so much more than we have EVER done to be promoting the game, and NOT receiving a central distribution from the TV money pot, I find dishonouring.

However - I truly hope Wolfpack do get the most incredible TV deal, which outshines that which SL negotiates for all their efforts and actually, sacrifice and investment. And they get to keep the TV deal they create for themselves. It hopefully will make the small-mindedness of all our M62 clubs sit up and take notice. The world is changing. Stop being parochial.

Thank you Toronto Wolfpack for re-igniting my own personal interest in RL

Exactly...you are welcome Lion...that being said Warrington still has to be taught a lesson...we have a score to settle with you folks from the last time we met....SONNY BILL WILL BE UP TO THE TASK!

Edited by Kayakman
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Exactly...you are welcome Lion...that being said Warrington still has to be taught a lesson...we have a score to settle with you folks from the last time we met....SONNY BILL WILL BE UP TO THE TASK!

This is the one game I won't be cheering you on @Kayakman !!

Also, the fixture list for Warrington's fixture v you guys....my son is back from living in Montreal before this! Gutted.

So, Ill likely look to see when you guys play Wigan or Saints, and hopefully tie it in with visiting my son in Montreal, and cheer on the Wolfpack instead! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Interesting tweet by the publisher of this organ. 

Either he knows something we don’t or he’s been at the CBD oil.

He knows something that we don't? Yep, it's called modernity.

While the concerns about him performing on the pitch, I feel, are overstated, they are legitimate ones. However, SBW's value is not limited to the field. That value lies commercially. If you only see the game he does or doesn't play, and judge his contract that way, then you are missing the point.

The old lenses have moved on. They were, in fact, replaced years and years ago. If a rugby league person finds all of this to be strange and unfamiliar - perhaps shaking their heads or thinking pfft - then this is evidence that the world has moved past them, whether or not they are simply fans or working as part of the governing bodies.

If the relevant governing bodies are unable to leverage this into greater media deals, sponsorship, etc then they really ought to be replaced.

It's 2019, not 1919.

Edited by solly
  • Like 8

12 minutes ago, The British Lion said:

The world is changing. Stop being parochial.

This, right here.

The naysayers aren't properly aware that it is their way of thinking that has lead to all of this in the first place.

The world has moved on. Rugby league needs to move on as well. My hope is that the traditional clubs find ways to engage with broader audiences so that they too can survive, no matter what division they find themselves in.

• Like 3

Just now, solly said:

He knows something that we don't... yep, it's called modernity.

While the concerns about him performing on the pitch, I feel, are overstated, they are legitimate ones. SBW's value is not limited to the field. That value lies commercially. If you only see the games he does or doesn't play, and judge his contract that way, then you are missing the point.

The old lenses have moved on. They were, in fact, replaced years and years ago. If a rugby league person finds all of this to be strange and unfamiliar - whether they are simply fans or working as part of the governing bodies, then that is evidence that the world has moved past them.

If the relevant governing bodies are unable to leverage this into greater media deals, sponsorship, etc then they really ought to be replaced.

It's 2019, not 1919.

I understand all that, Solly, but Sadler is saying SBW has “already delivered” on repaying his cost despite the complete lack of evidence for that statement. 

So either he knows something we don’t or he’s been sniffing some of Argyle’s cannabis potions.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I understand all that, Solly, but Sadler is saying SBW has “already delivered” on repaying his cost despite the complete lack of evidence for that statement. 

So either he knows something we don’t or he’s been sniffing some of Argyle’s cannabis potions.

Ok, fair enough.

With publicity all across the world, I'd be surprised if the sponsors on the shirts, etc weren't smiling...

I think Williams is a phenomenal athlete and talent, but I trust him about as much as I'd trust John Inverdale.

But if any club can parley his status into positive publicity and sponsors' cash (before $BW flounces off to pastures new because he finds out that Canada also has plenty of washed-out, overweight boxers he can "fight"), it is Toronto.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

31 minutes ago, The British Lion said:

This is the one game I won't be cheering you on @Kayakman !!

Also, the fixture list for Warrington's fixture v you guys....my son is back from living in Montreal before this! Gutted.

So, Ill likely look to see when you guys play Wigan or Saints, and hopefully tie it in with visiting my son in Montreal, and cheer on the Wolfpack instead! 

Well that was easily done.....GOT A NEW WOLFPACK MEMBER HERE PEOPLE!

Growing...growing....growing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1