Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

SBW signs for Toronto - Confirmed

6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Look it'e excellent SBW signing has made a splash and TWP will use to make more splashes but we shouldn't have to worry about a thread being locked. Best way to look at it is at least we can use any old SBW story to start a new one.

JD has made it clear that you need to stick to the subject in hand ie SBW. Any sidetracking to argue about an obvious troll will get the thread locked. Not unreasonable given how these things end up. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

Lewis played 10 games.  Before he arrived Wakey were averaging just over 2800 a game.  For the few games at home he played, they averaged over 5700.   Nearly doubled the gate.

Davies 1st season saw Widnes average gates increase from 6600 to 8500.  

People forget the impact that these types of signings used to have.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Lewis played 10 games.  Before he arrived Wakey were averaging just over 2800 a game.  For the few games at home he played, they averaged over 5700.   Nearly doubled the gate.

Davies 1st season saw Widnes average gates increase from 6600 to 8500.  

You hereby stand accused of letting the facts get in the way of a good whinge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

19 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

You hereby stand accused of letting the facts get in the way of a good whinge.

Guilty Jim.  Bring the cuffs - and Susan Sarandon.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Damien said:

Indeed.  

In some instances bringing an RU player in can have an adverse effect.  When John Gallagher, touted “The Worlds Best Rugby Player” went to Leeds the average crowd dropped by 800.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BBC Sport site going great guns on the story,with another story posted confirming the signing. Big Col still taking on all comers.

Also made New York Times and CNN.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Kayakman said:

The damn phone is ringing off the hook over here...calls from all over the  Pacific and Great Britain...everyone wants to play for the Wolfpack now...hold on the phone is ringing again......"Listen Gary Schofield you are just to old to put the cleats back on...I know, I know Garry....you want to play with Sonny Bill but Gary....I'll have to call you back."

See what I mean.

Hold on...its Semi on the line.

Don’t leave Semi hanging!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

The Netflix angle is interesting.

If Netflix was going to film at TWP away games in the UK, would more people attend to be in the crowd shots?

I bet sponsors would love to be on jerseys shown in a Netflix series. The value of sponsorship would increase quite a bit I imagine.

Just had a Facebook memory come up from 6 years ago at the RLWC where I was heading to NZ v PNG at Headingley. I was mega excited to see SBW then (I wrote it in the post) and am just as if not more excited to see him in his first League game at the same venue in 3 months time!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Likely because they stopped when RU dropped their opposition to professionalism and RU converts stopped coming over and that's more than 20 years ago now.

3 hours ago, cookey said:

BBC Sport site going great guns on the story,with another story posted confirming the signing. Big Col still taking on all comers.

Also made New York Times and CNN.

So much for the outsiders' jaded view that RL is just a small time regional sport with limited appeal eh?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I’d totally agree, this has got me interested in RL again too. I don’t think even it’s biggest fan could quite see how inward looking it had become. It was heading to be like a Roy Cropper sport, with everything beige and safety first. With this and the game at Spurs next year, there may be hope yet. 

Good to have you back!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Indeed.  

In some instances bringing an RU player in can have an adverse effect.  When John Gallagher, touted “The Worlds Best Rugby Player” went to Leeds the average crowd dropped by 800.

There points difference dropped significantly too...probably.

Edited by dkw

You’ve got to commend not only the signing but the way in which they have announced it all.

They clearly leaked it slowly to the point where everyone knew he was signing, this got the Wolfpack in the media spot light around the world.

Then a few days later they announced it officially keeping them in the media spotlight for another few days. 

Next week they’ll have a press conference in London Infront of the global media where they’ll all get their pictures and interviews and they’ll get more media coverage all over again. 

Three huge rounds of media coverage just by playing it smart.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

10 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Indeed.  

Well Gallagher dropped everything else so why not the crowd😁

sbw should have signed a more lucrative contract on the basis of receiving 10 dollars for every time he hears rl fans singing "wot a waste o money" wot a waste o money" wot a waste o money" 

• Sad 1

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

3 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Well Gallagher dropped everything else so why not the crowd😁

to be fair Gallagher was shaping up a very good player till the spear tackle at st helens, he showed some good skills and had some good games

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

to be fair Gallagher was shaping up a very good player till the spear tackle at st helens, he showed some good skills and had some good games

He had a fair amount of bl***y awful one's too, I have never seen a Full-Back so susceptible to a sidestep in 50+ years watching the game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

He had a fair amount of bl***y awful one's too, I have never seen a Full-Back so susceptible to a sidestep in 50+ years watching the game.

an irish man born in England  who played for new Zealand - sounds like he would fit straight in to the current gb squad!

• Like 1