Sign in to follow this  
Damien

SBW signs for Toronto - Confirmed

1 minute ago, SL17 said:

You won’t under current rules.

Argyle is making his move as we speak!

Just now, Kayakman said:

Argyle is making his move as we speak!

Yes I’ve noticed Noble getting involved. Unfortunately you are now at the hands of SL and they won’t budge.

7 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Yes I’ve noticed Noble getting involved. Unfortunately you are now at the hands of SL and they won’t budge.

Old news...take a look at the new thread in the forum on Argyle.

IMHO, what happens off the field is more important than on it next year. Provided TWP don't get relegated that is. SL 17 has a valid point. This is not really a SL ready SQUAD. But, it is a much better say 22, than the Broncos last year. And, Broncos were unfeasibly unlucky to come in to a league without an obviously uncompetitive side in it. TWP will be better than London and should stay up.

More important will be. Will there be visa problems? Will there be cap breaches or late payments? How many will turn up for the games in England? Particularly the nominal "home" games? Will the away games attract as many fans as average?

And, crucially, will Lamport be heaving and bouncing as it was against Fev, even if they've lost 8 in a row?

In short will interest build again? Will it aid a better TV deal? 

These are unanswered questions. If Toronto leap these bars, and, to be fair, they have done so thus far.

If SL Chairmen are convinced they are a net financial positive, then many, many other issues will be made to disappear. Particularly around cap dispensations. Getting to divvy up central funding is the first step on that road.

Edited by dixiedean
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

IMHO, what happens off the field is more important than on it next year. Provided TWP don't get relegated that is. SL 17 has a valid point. This is not really a SL ready SQUAD. But, it is a much better say 22, than the Broncos last year. And, Broncos were unfeasibly unlucky to come in to a league without an obviously uncompetitive side in it. TWP will be better than London and should stay up.

More important will be. Will there be visa problems? Will there be cap breaches or late payments? How many will turn up for the games in England? Particularly the nominal "home" games? Will the away games attract as many fans as average?

And, crucially, will Lamport be heaving and bouncing as it was against Fev, even if they've lost 8 in a row?

In short will interest build again? Will it aid a better TV deal? 

These are unanswered questions. If Toronto leap these bars, and, to be fair, they have done so thus far.

If SL Chairmen are convinced they are a net financial positive, then many, many other issues will be made to disappear. Particularly around cap dispensations. Getting to divvy up central funding is the first step on that road.

Good points. Personally I just want a competitive team. But unless they are decimated by injuries I can't see them in danger of relegation - they are a much better team at this point than the Broncos were last year and they had a very good run

• Like 1

https://www.scmp.com/sport/rugby/article/3037115/sonny-bill-williams-can-live-his-megabucks-toronto-wolfpack-deal-can

A genuinely interesting take on the state of RL and the game over here in light of the SBW signing in the South China Morning Post. Yes you did read that right.

I find particularly interesting the opinion that the game over here needs to build up some rivals to SBW so that he is absorbed by the comp and doesn't exist in some weird sphere outside of it. Whether that is through new marquee signings or capitalising on current ones I'm not sure. At my club we have Trent Merrin who played for Oz and NSW and obviously Hurrell representing Tonga. Perhaps its that international calibre angle that the game needs to focus on - a season promo with the best Kiwis, Ozzies, French, Welsh and English players (and of course any other nations) could be an interesting aspect now that we have a truly international super league.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

https://www.scmp.com/sport/rugby/article/3037115/sonny-bill-williams-can-live-his-megabucks-toronto-wolfpack-deal-can

A genuinely interesting take on the state of RL and the game over here in light of the SBW signing in the South China Morning Post. Yes you did read that right.

I find particularly interesting the opinion that the game over here needs to build up some rivals to SBW so that he is absorbed by the comp and doesn't exist in some weird sphere outside of it. Whether that is through new marquee signings or capitalising on current ones I'm not sure. At my club we have Trent Merrin who played for Oz and NSW and obviously Hurrell representing Tonga. Perhaps its that international calibre angle that the game needs to focus on - a season promo with the best Kiwis, Ozzies, French, Welsh and English players (and of course any other nations) could be an interesting aspect now that we have a truly international super league.

Yep, we are often terrible telling people why a game is important. 

Sbw being the highest paid rugby player in the world is a shortcut to that

There are some real top notch imports in RL at the moment, we need to find a way of showcasing that and building that narrative

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Yep, we are often terrible telling people why a game is important. 

Sbw being the highest paid rugby player in the world is a shortcut to that

There are some real top notch imports in RL at the moment, we need to find a way of showcasing that and building that narrative

Of course there's those players and the England players we have too. Imagine an NRL style promo with SBW, Hurrell, Fages, Thompson, Widdop, Merrin, Grace etc all in their club kits but surrounded by the colours and images of their home nation. It really gives a boost to the SL as a genuine home of some of the "worlds best".

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

A very interesting read which spells out just what a mix of oil water Toronto playing in the English RL structure is.

• Like 2

I'd say it's a must read for everyone associated with the game from administrators and team owners down to the newest fan. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Of course there's those players and the England players we have too. Imagine an NRL style promo with SBW, Hurrell, Fages, Thompson, Widdop, Merrin, Grace etc all in their club kits but surrounded by the colours and images of their home nation. It really gives a boost to the SL as a genuine home of some of the "worlds best".

It’s an approach that the provincial mind balks at.

Get past that mind and the sport grows. 

• Like 3

A lot of us were loudly criticised on here for supporting Toronto in the playoffs, and hoping that they won the spot in SuperLeague.

This is exactly why a lot of people hoped they would make it.  The thought of SBW (or similar) arriving at any of the other clubs in the playoffs is laughable.  The game quite clearly needs clubs like this, not just for the benefit of TO Wolfpack, but for the League as a whole (and arguably, the sport as a whole too).  

• Like 5

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

On 11/11/2019 at 09:56, Tommygilf said:

A genuinely interesting take on the state of RL

What a crock of poo that article was. Who wrote it the Rev. Frank Marshall?

I now understand how the forum works though so thanks for that.

Edited by Oxford

“Thank you Salford & Eccles!”     

57 minutes ago, Oxford said:

What a crock of poo that article was. Who wrote it the Rev. Frank Marshall?

I now understand how the forum works though so thanks for that.

And your point is?

On 11/11/2019 at 10:56, Tommygilf said:

Ahhh, the South China Morning Post.  Every time I open my copy, it is wall-to-wall Rugby League coverage.  Always has been a bastion of journalism for the 13 man code....

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

And your point is?

That the article was rubbish, a nice bit of propaganda and a hatchet job by a yawn hack. There have been so many it's hard to keep track. And they're always so enlightening about the sport that produces them and the journalists that write them and a readership that happens to use them as evidence of anything but the bias they represent.

I'd thought it was obvious ! Do you need me to do a drawing?

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Celt said:

Ahhh, the South China Morning Post.  Every time I open my copy, it is wall-to-wall Rugby League coverage.  Always has been a bastion of journalism for the 13 man code....

I was shocked to see any coverage at all tbh, but it does show how widely this SBW signing is reaching around the world.

I also thought that it made a pretty valid point that this signing has to be followed by the rest of the league aiming big.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Oxford said:

That the article was rubbish, a nice bit of propaganda and a hatchet job by a yawn hack. There have been so many it's hard to keep track. And they're always so enlightening about the sport that produces them and the journalists that write them and a readership that happens to use them as evidence of anything but the bias they represent.

I'd thought it was obvious ! Do you need me to do a drawing?

Well clearly you have no intention to engage with some of the more salient points made. FWIW I don't think it is anywhere as much of a union hatchet job as you make out. It takes a hard, and yes at times very critical, look at Super League in much the same way posters on here or on social media do and questions how our league will accommodate top class talent.

I doubt the SCMPs average readership know anything about RL - that I found it was through chance of a friend from HK seeing it. Yet this article was written and is spreading the word so they might know a little bit more now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I was shocked to see any coverage at all tbh, but it does show how widely this SBW signing is reaching around the world.

I also thought that it made a pretty valid point that this signing has to be followed by the rest of the league aiming big.

Other than Toronto though, who else in the league has either the nous or the money to aim big like that?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Other than Toronto though, who else in the league has either the nous or the money to aim big like that?

I know your views on this. Mine are that Leeds Saints Wigan Wire and perhaps Hull and Catalans, even a Huddersfield if they got some increased crowds to ease the  burden on Davy's wallet, could spend like this. The artificially low salary cap and their monopoly on the best players has meant that they haven't had to.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Well clearly you have no intention to engage with some of the more salient points made.

8 hours ago, Big Picture said:

There must be other clubs.  Am not sure who, but plenty people on here were telling us that club X, Y, or F were a far better addition to SuperLeague.  

Am sure some fans from those clubs will be along shortly to gripe about they would have signed SBW too, if only they had not been robbed of their place by big, bad, TO Wolfpack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Toronto are due to unveil SBW tomorrow at the Emirates Stadium in London...I wonder if they may be announcing a couple more signings for next year too?

The best thing SL could do then is announce no relegation at the end of next season and a 14 team SL in 2021 - imagine if TWP get relegated, SBW will be off and TWP will probably fold.

If they can compete, and that's a big if given the jump from Champ to SL, then Hudds, KR and Wakey will be  crapping themselves.

36 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

The best thing SL could do then is announce no relegation at the end of next season and a 14 team SL in 2021 - imagine if TWP get relegated, SBW will be off and TWP will probably fold.

If they can compete, and that's a big if given the jump from Champ to SL, then Hudds, KR and Wakey will be  crapping themselves.

If Toronto got relegated SBW would not be going anywhere and no one would fold.....we would simply reload!  People still don't get it on here...Toronto is here to stay...the relationship that Argyle and the season ticket holders have formed will stand any test of time.    ARGYLE WILL KEEP THE PACK UNTIL HE IS EITHER DEAD OR BROKE (or both)....AND HE IS A MULTI BILLIONAIRE (so I don't think we need to worry about that end of it).

P.S.   We intend to make the top 5 this season.

Edited by Kayakman