Bring back the 4 nations

yipyee

Is it now time for Great Britain to be moth balled as the experiment to bring it back has clearly failed.

It is now the 21st century and there are exciting new teams and countrys engaging with TGG

Imagine if the 4 nations hadn't been scrapped prematurely as Tonga would have had a realistic chance to win the tournament!

The 4 nations would also do far more in the NH to promote the game than an England team disguised as GB playing at 4am on BBC2 will ever do!

France are a sleeping giant but in the current international system do not get a chance to shine!

29 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

GB shouldn’t be binned because of one man, who failed to pick a squad with adequate depth and who saw the role as coach of the side as experimental, so he could plan for the future of another job. 

GB should be kept on but planned much better in future. Bennett should be scrapped as England and GB coach. 

I agree. GB can have a place as a once every 4 years down under tour and maybe even a home series if there's enough demand. With the caveat that they must pick at least some players from Wales and Scotland and Ireland. I'm not against a heritage OZ player either, basically the side has to be different to the England team to seem relevant in my view. 

With this tour That Grace and Knowles did not get picked is a real shame and undermines the concept of a GB team if no Welsh players particually as both mentioned are quality players who would not be out of place on that Stage. 

GB team offers Welsh and Scottish players and Irish players the chance to play in a side with the talent to compete and beat OZ.

3 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

I agree. GB can have a place as a once every 4 years down under tour and maybe even a home series if there's enough demand. With the caveat that they must pick at least some players from Wales and Scotland and Ireland. I'm not against a heritage OZ player either, basically the side has to be different to the England team to seem relevant in my view. 

With this tour That Grace and Knowles did not get picked is a real shame and undermines the concept of a GB team if no Welsh players particually as both mentioned are quality players who would not be out of place on that Stage. 

GB team offers Welsh and Scottish players and Irish players the chance to play in a side with the talent to compete and beat OZ.

What would completely undermine the concept of a GB team is picking inferior players just to fill some quota from each country.

The squad selection was poor by Bennett. We were loaded with halves and under represented in the threequarters. You can’t legislate for injuries once the tour began but you can prepare for such eventualities by having a squad evenly balanced with representation across all positions. 

What’s also been poor is Bennett’s approach to the GB side. “I didn’t want us (England, not GB) going into the series against Australia next year trialling players. It’s too close to the World Cup for that”. His comments, his beliefs and the way in which he’s coached GB have been wrong. It’s backed up by his decision to play Blake Austin at wing instead of Lachlan Coote. Now, I don’t believe that he’s picked Austin with the idea of playing him there next year against Australia but not picking a player who is more than capable under a high ball and used to some of the defensive structures in that part of the pitch and picking a half to play on the wing is ridiculous. 

I’m not sure if the job for GB was ever advertised or whether they interviewed anybody besides Bennett but this is two separate jobs and they should have their own job specifications and goals, rather than this GB set up being an England trial squad for 2020 and the 2021 World Cup. 

I’m in the minority here but I’d rather see more games as GB and less as England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Taking England away, the other three are largely amateur, with only one country having two semi-professional sides. Scotland just played in front of little over 250 on a Police Ground for Gods sake. 

I just refreshed my memory on the 2014 series played down under.

Wished I hadn’t. Ryan Hall scored a try that would have knocked Australia out of the tournament. Aussie video ref didn’t give it.

It was nice to see England put some attacking moves on. Bring back Matty Smith.

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

24 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I started a similar thread few weeks ago

We ALL loved the 4 nations

The general public also really got the idea and having it on weekend afternoons on the BBC gave great exposure

F*** the Aussies and the NRL..... Let's do it every non WC year without them

So we’ll play...erm...France...and, erm...errrr...

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

What’s the difference between GB and England? Nothing 

Same team different name. When England already don’t play enough games it’s a nonsense to split those games between two different brands.

Having an option of GB every four years will encourage players with dual heritage to stick with wales,Scotland and Ireland. Thus improving the lwvel for those countries at world cups. 

7 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

England. Not England and Wales. 

You may be confusing it with the England and Wales Cricket Board.

He was playing for England and Wales since the England Cricket team (administered by the England & Wales Cricket Board) represents both England & Wales. 

22 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

GB shouldn’t be binned because of one man, who failed to pick a squad with adequate depth and who saw the role as coach of the side as experimental, so he could plan for the future of another job. 

GB should be kept on but planned much better in future. Bennett should be scrapped as England and GB coach. 

The experiment has failed, 

Poor take up of players making themselves available

Poor crowds

Poor coach choice followed by poor selection

Poor performance

A British coach should have been picked and trial games midseason for the home nation teams.

Experiment has failed and should be buried deep into the memory.

This experiment has actually tarnished the great GB teams of the past!

Just now, 17 stone giant said:

I also prefer four (or six). It's more neat and tidy. You don't have any team sitting out a week.

Yep!

Also the home qualifying comp in the alternate year was good and competitive as they where meaningful games!

Imagine this year if Tonga would have won it! Sadly they have nothing to show from their great performances

• ckn locked and unlocked this topic

Archived