Get Mick Hogan in to run UK Rugby League

The only man within the sport of rugby league who I feel has the credentials to propel the sport forwards. The current lot running the game at the RFL do not have the capabilities required to keep the sport relevant. Both Nigel Wood and Ralph Rimmer have caused untold damage to RL and in my view Robert Elstone is just a glorified Commercial & Operational manager, not a strategist and certainly not the person who's going to inconvenience the same clubs that appointed him. He adds value to the sport but I've always maintained the opinion that the governance of the sport should be run solely by a strong, progressive and competent governing body. With a visionary leading it.

I'm super impressed at what he's doing at the Newcastle Thunder, but more importantly has experience in literally every aspect that's required in understanding the inner workings of a rugby club, national team, managing major events and competitions. More importantly, he began the emergence of RL at grass roots level in the north east so he literally started out at the bottom making the yard yards putting the cones out in the freezing cold. He has a deep knowledge of the sport from grass roots to the boardroom to the running of a national team. Here are some of his achievements that impress me about this man.

CEO of Wigan, CEO at Sale, General Manager at England Rugby, Executive director at Newcastle Thunder and Newcastle Falcons, Managed Newcastle host bids for RU and RL World Cups and major events like Magic Weekend and European Cup. I do think the management of the game needs to be much much better and ambitious and he could certainly deliver that. So when someone says who is out there that can be the sports leader I think he's the one that can do it. Every aspect of the sport should be brought under his wing and the governance of the RFL.

19 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

The only man within the sport of rugby league who I feel has the credentials to propel the sport forwards. The current lot running the game at the RFL do not have the capabilities required to keep the sport relevant. Both Nigel Wood and Ralph Rimmer have caused untold damage to RL and in my view Robert Elstone is just a glorified Commercial & Operational manager, not a strategist and certainly not the person who's going to inconvenience the same clubs that appointed him. He adds value to the sport but I've always maintained the opinion that the governance of the sport should be run solely by a strong, progressive and competent governing body. With a visionary leading it.

I'm super impressed at what he's doing at the Newcastle Thunder, but more importantly has experience in literally every aspect that's required in understanding the inner workings of a rugby club, national team, managing major events and competitions. More importantly, he began the emergence of RL at grass roots level in the north east so he literally started out at the bottom making the yard yards putting the cones out in the freezing cold. He has a deep knowledge of the sport from grass roots to the boardroom to the running of a national team. Here are some of his achievements that impress me about this man.

CEO of Wigan, CEO at Sale, General Manager at England Rugby, Managed Newcastle host bids for RU and RL World Cups and major events like Magic Weekend and European Cup. I do think the management of the game needs to be much much better and ambitious and he could certainly deliver that. So when someone says who is out there that can be the sports leader I think he's the one that can do it. Every aspect of the sport should be brought under his wing and the governance of the RFL.

Not disagreeing with the suggestion but do you really think the current incumbents at the RFL and SL will just give it all up?  

Just now, The Daddy said:

Nope and that's a big problem.

Easy money at the RFL since much of their role has been changed.  Elstone still in the shadows.  

Many of these will say they champion change, new ways, futureproof .....buzzwords.  Have we had much change?

Sure Hogan is a very capable guy, but I'd think the last thing we really need is someone from a similar/same background to most other administrators in RL.

its no coincidence the best Administrator we've had came from outside the game.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Just now, EastLondonMike said:

Sure Hogan is a very capable guy, but I'd think the last thing we really need is someone from a similar/same background to most other administrators in RL.

its no coincidence the best Administrator we've had came from outside the game.

Agreed that someone from outside the sport should be considered, but I don't think Rimmer or Wood had anywhere near the same level of experience as Hogan before they took prominent positions within the RFL.

The problem is that the people running the game like Rimmer, Wood etc are not transpatent or being held accountable for the actions or decisions made. Elstone is just a yes man and I am still waiting to see what he can deliver-so far very little! Greenberg in the NRL is holding the game back in Australia but internationally with his agendas.

These 4 are getting paid way too much and delivering way too little and in turn damaging the game. Whoever is running the game at any level, should be made to be transparent and be made to be paid for what they deliver. Should anybody like Hogan etc come in, then they too should be open and made accountable.

Rugby League is a tin pot sport that has too many egos and fractions that hold it back in so many ways at all levels across the world. The sport has to change how it operates, if it wants to progress. The problem is few are prepared to do whats good for the game and not themselves in my opinion.

Mick Hogan has certainly done the hard yards - university in the north east,then development officer for the region while a few games,including an international was taken to the Gateshead Stadium,prior to the Super League side being put together and placed there.

https://www.sportsmanagementworldwide.com/users/mick-hogan

With the RFL haemorrhaging money and staff I shouldn't think they can compete financially with his dual union and league role that he currently holds.

He also has a trusted and enthusiastic,and seemingly successful,staff to work with.

He has to know he is far better off where he is.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

It's interesting to ponder what kind of process could happen that would enable Mick Hogan (or similar) to take on a significant and powerful role within Rugby League.

You'd need to be rid of the current RFL bigwigs en-masse for a start, and it's pretty hard to see how they'd fall on their swords - given that they tend to appoint / promote each other.

Then there is the RFL / SL split that only happened a year ago. At the moment, heading up the RFL wouldn't be a job likely to attract a Mick Hogan-level person. What would be the point? 

And the SL clubs would only want him if he danced to their tune. They've already got Elstone for that.

It would simultaneously need a complete overhaul of the governance of RL in this country, and for several highly-paid individuals to give up their cosy jobs.

Don't really see that happening somehow...

6 hours ago, The Daddy said:

The only man within the sport of rugby league who I feel has the credentials to propel the sport forwards.

Let’s just be done with it and let the NRL be the global governors of the game. Plenty of people past and present have done a good job of propelling the sport forwards.

On 09/11/2019 at 19:09, Tonka said:

As the current GB coach has shown, you can’t just bring an Aussie in and expect them to transform the game.  Hogan hasn’t done anything good since the Crocodile Dundee movies.

"Call that a stiff arm?  THIS is a stiff arm!"

I was involved with Sunderland  RL for 30 years or so and Knowing Mick from his early days in amateur RL in the north east and when he worked for Thunder Super league team there’s not a more qualified or genuine person to lead Rugby League. But being a season pass holder from day one of Thunder I hope he completes the job here in the North East and we become a true heartland for the game I love.

Archived