The shield or not the shield

clifford

Firstly I must stress I'm not ar$ed one way or the other but for me if you are rebanding change the hold thing.

When  it was the bears,no bear appeared on the shirt. 

We have a lion as a mascot we could and should have rebranded the badge round that.

Look at Salford they have had more club badges than I've had hot dinners.

Just saying, unfortunately I don't have clue what awatersheddings looks like

10 hours ago, jroyales said:

Can you name the players?

Ossie Rowe.Foy,Fieldhouse,Barrow Jnr, Henderson,Ruane.

Tony Barrow. Ronnie Duane? Hyde,Round,Charlie,Donegan,Platt,Pyke?,John Watkins

Russell,Lord,Robinson,Ford,Clarke,Warburton?, ?.

That's my best effort ?.

Great side, best shirt ever and the away shirt in blue as well ❤️. Great memories of a great time for the Yeds. Probably our most exciting time 1988-1993 ish since the 50s. Hope we have some success this year too and in fairness Nobby didn't do so bad ?.

As for the badge/crest. Well it is the crest albeit in a shield, I personally have no problem with the new format. As I think everyone knows I love the crest but it does need modernising and imho this does what it says on the tin. Criticism of it is fine and of course everyone has their own opinion, if this new badge is put into shirts etc properly i.e. not a stuck on badge like the disaster a few years ago then I think it will be ok. Certainly I would rather have a crest in a shield and still be Oldham RLFC ( Roughyeds) and retain the crest rather than some wierd rebrand with a cartoon dog,penguin,bear,(insert strange animal/name here) and some American moniker added on like Warriors,Packers, 49ers,Red Sox etc.

If the club are going to use the new badge then it has to look right on merch etc, I would still buy stuff with the new badge on over the aforementioned cartoon garbage. If that happened again after that dreadful bear then in the words of the Dragons....I'm out.

39 minutes ago, roughyed34 said:

Great side, best shirt ever and the away shirt in blue as well ❤️. Great memories of a great time for the Yeds. Probably our most exciting time 1988-1993 ish since the 50s.

Happy carefree days indeed !   Whether home or away, every game was an 'adventure'.

But, never in a million years did I think that within a few short years of this photo being taken (1990 ish ?) we should fall, so far and so fast into near oblivion for so long.

I'm sad and I'll NEVER come to terms with what has happened to us and our beloved Watersheddings.

9 hours ago, ArthurO said:

Happy carefree days indeed !   Whether home or away, every game was an 'adventure'.

But, never in a million years did I think that within a few short years of this photo being taken (1990 ish ?) we should fall, so far and so fast into near oblivion for so long.

I'm sad and I'll NEVER come to terms with what has happened to us and our beloved Watersheddings.

Yeah mate, very sad to think what's happened to the club down the years. I don't think a club ever gets over losing their home regardless of who they are. It probably was a lack of decent management over a number of years and also not looking after the stadium. It is indeed a crying shame. 

Meanwhile over in the steel city...

52000.png

Speaking of the new crest, Eagles General Manager Liam Claffey said, “We are really pleased with the new design and our thanks go to Lewis Totty who helped design the logo over the past year.

“This is a big change for the club and so we’ve taken our time and consulted throughout the process with supporters and other key stakeholders.

“The old logo had become dated and the way it’s designed makes it difficult to be used across various platforms easily.

“That’s not to say the old logo doesn’t represent a huge and proud history of the club and will always be a part of our story as we continue moving forward.

“The new club crest is easier to use from a design point, we for the first time have brand guidelines and whilst we understand some may not have wanted this change, we hope they can see this as a required and positive stepped. We are extremely pleased with the final result as the club enters a new dawn.”

That Sheffield badge - typical clipart and very American, designed by a bloke on a PC with Microsoft word? Sheffield in tiny letters why didn't they just drop that and become just the Eagles?

Seriously, no matter the debate about our new badge do people really want something like that???

At least the new badge does contain the town crest, it's not really a big deal I don't think, badge contains crest, people at the meetings showed there support to keep the town crest and not have some radical rebrand. Yes it's in a shield? So what? 

The proof is in the pudding on merch etc, so maybe worth waiting to see what happens there,it's a change and people don't like change!

For what it's worth I do actually like the new badge, it's either that or just keep the original one. Either way I'm happy.

No cartoon animals and made up names thanks very much.

Ps. There was a vote for a new badge so people had the chance to choose the new design.  In fairness the result of said vote was never released which is imho an error on the clubs part as was perhaps not including the original badge as an option. As it stands it is was it is, it says Oldham RLFC and has the crest so I guess the shield is the only part of it people dislike?

Archived