Leeds chase George Ford

Damien

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

More great pubicity.

All this post-RUWC activity relating to RL, is potentially undermining RU's aspirations to maximise their world cup legacy.

Indeed, it's all free and easy publicity. More importantly it gives the perception of RL being on the rise again and being able to compete with RU once again for players.

I would imagine for the likes of Ford and Farrell there would be some motivation to see if they could perform in the game that their fathers play. Someone like Farrell in particular seems like a very competitive character and would surely be tempted to prove himself. 

Yes professional sports people are motivated by money but they are also motivated by new challenges and achievements as well.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Wouldn't he be salary cap exempt, at least for a while? He played RL up to academy level and it seems money is limitless on the playing budget at Headingley nowadays so it's plausible, if he was genuinely interested.

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I would imagine for the likes of Ford and Farrell there would be some motivation to see if they could perform in the game that their fathers play. Someone like Farrell in particular seems like a very competitive character and would surely be tempted to prove himself. 

Yes professional sports people are motivated by money but they are also motivated by new challenges and achievements as well.

Farrell played for St Pats in the U 16's , Ford for Waterhead. 

At a rumoured 25k per cap ( 11 this year) and according to Exeter Chiefs manager  average Premiership contracts for internationals at £350k who in their right mind would want to return to the code of their childhood ?

Sonny Bill returned at 34. These two , still in their 20's , would put millions into their bank accounts before even thinking of life after RU......

2 minutes ago, M j M said:

Wouldn't he be salary cap exempt, at least for a while? He played RL up to academy level and it seems money is limitless on the playing budget at Headingley nowadays so it's plausible, if he was genuinely interested.

Yes there is some kind of 5-year rule being outside the sport IIRC

Just now, del capo said:

Farrell played for St Pats in the U 16's , Ford for Waterhead. 

At a rumoured 25k per cap ( 11 this year) and according to Exeter Chiefs manager  average Premiership contracts for internationals at £350k who in their right mind would want to return to the code of their childhood ?

Sonny Bill returned at 34. These two , still in their 20's , would put millions into their bank accounts before even thinking of life after RU......

As I say, professional sportspeople are also motivated by challenges and achievements.  There are loads of world class athletes who are not making millions.

There is more to achieve than just money.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

As I say, professional sportspeople are also motivated by challenges and achievements.  There are loads of world class athletes who are not making millions.

In terms of achievements, he can play and win the Champions Cup, the 6 N and the World Cup ?

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Just now, Dunbar said:

Sure , and I wouldn’t want to generalise , but in a sport like rugby with a relatively  short shelf life , which could end sharpish , you’d think it’s often primarily money - as we hear pretty often down under 

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Sure , and I wouldn’t want to generalise , but in a sport like rugby with a relatively  short shelf life , which could end sharpish , you’d think it’s often primarily money - as we hear pretty often down under 

I'm pretty sure if a Super League club looks to sign a Union international they would be offered around £250k to £300k a year as a minimum. Its not like they would be coming for free.

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

In what major sports other than perhaps RL  do elite athletes not make (rightly ) a fortune? Even darts beat us.....

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I’d be surprised . From what I’ve seen of him in Union his defence is often rubbish and he’s one of those clean shirt number tens kicking it and passing it

Does he object to being tackled? If so he sounds like a like-for-like with McGuire.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, MatthewWoody said:

I can't see an England RU starter leaving ru for rl. 

You can when you realise that most of them can see the writing on the wall for half the premiership clubs - they are effectively the financial living dead, supporting vast numbers of squad players by pouring money down a black hole. 

Domestic RU is within a couple of years of implosion. Some clubs are sensible and solvent (Exeter), but most have been living beyond their means for too long. Alas, that debt ultimately has to be paid, no matter how serviceable it has been in the past.

Archived