Leeds chase George Ford

Damien

6 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

You can when you realise that most of them can see the writing on the wall for half the premiership clubs - they are effectively the financial living dead, supporting vast numbers of squad players by pouring money down a black hole. 

Domestic RU is within a couple of years of implosion. Some clubs are sensible and solvent (Exeter), but most have been living beyond their means for too long. Alas, that debt ultimately has to be paid, no matter how serviceable it has been in the past.

Well, even if the Premiership implodes, I'd see them moving to the Top 14 before even thinking about league...

Imho

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

You can when you realise that most of them can see the writing on the wall for half the premiership clubs - they are effectively the financial living dead, supporting vast numbers of squad players by pouring money down a black hole. 

Domestic RU is within a couple of years of implosion. Some clubs are sensible and solvent (Exeter), but most have been living beyond their means for too long. Alas, that debt ultimately has to be paid, no matter how serviceable it has been in the past.

This is no different to most SL clubs though. And the debt doesn't have to be repaid; like at Wigan and London and Huddersfield in most cases it will probably just end up being written off by the club owner.

1 minute ago, MatthewWoody said:

Well, even if the Premiership implodes, I'd see them moving to the Top 14 before even thinking about league...

Imho

If they move to the French comp they will lose their place in the England squad, which means a big drop in money and sponsorship money and I'm not sure how long the French comp can keep paying OTT wages before the chickens come home to roost.

16 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

If they move to the French comp they will lose their place in the England squad, which means a big drop in money and sponsorship money and I'm not sure how long the French comp can keep paying OTT wages before the chickens come home to roost.

If all the stars leave, the RFU will change its policy.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

35 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

Fingers crossed eh?

Without a decent international schedule, we won't get top internationals. That's an unfortunate fact.

Down Under, they have now developed a good rep period. I can see the Oceanic Cup becoming a big event over the next few years with the developments in PNG and Fiji and the recruitment drives of Tonga and Samoa.

We don't have any opponents up here at all. Unless we arrange for nations to come to us or we go to them, we're going to get further and further behind.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Don't want to make a monkey out of you, but possibly the term is guerilla marketing. ?

I was going to point this out, but this is rugby league. Gorilla marketing is entirely plausible. 

People called Romans they go the house

Ford isn’t the best tackler but he is tough and has a pinpoint boot. I could see him setting up cross kicks pretty well.

Ross Moriarty (son of Paul) would be another one for SL clubs to look at. Born in St Helens and a very abrasive player. Would definitely fit in RL.

I haven’t really seen Ford play.

Would he be in the mould of Luke Gale, or is his talent purely tactical kicking?

Let’s not forget, Stephen Myler was a fantastic Union fly-half but didn’t really stand out in the halves in League.

3 hours ago, M j M said:

This is no different to most SL clubs though. And the debt doesn't have to be repaid; like at Wigan and London and Huddersfield in most cases it will probably just end up being written off by the club owner.

Premiership clubs have just received 14 million through some investment company.   They will probably be looking to get a return on their investment.

6 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I haven’t really seen Ford play.

Would he be in the mould of Luke Gale, or is his talent purely tactical kicking?

Let’s not forget, Stephen Myler was a fantastic Union fly-half but didn’t really stand out in the halves in League.

Think he’d be a organising half who, unlike Gale, would threaten the line with a running game.

Can see why Leeds are linked to him but hard to see it coming off when they have Gale, Lui and McLelland.

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Can see why Leeds are linked to him but hard to see it coming off when they have Gale, Lui and McLelland.

Probably just for publicity.   Nothing wrong with a bit of publicity at this current position in Rugby League’s existence.

6 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I would imagine for the likes of Ford and Farrell there would be some motivation to see if they could perform in the game

LOL !

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

LOL !

Any chance of a sensible conversation where you explain why you don't think that proving themselves in the sport where their fathers made their names wouldn't motivate Ford and Farrell rather than a childish LOL?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Whilst it would be good to see Top RU players coming across I wonder if I'm just too cynical...

That is Leeds right in the middle of season ticket selling, trying to show they are prepared to spend to get top talent...or mmmmm are fans murmuring about lack of signing, hence a sop to say we are chasing top talent (happens a lot in soccer)...

Time will tell....

Archived