Leeds chase George Ford

Damien

2 hours ago, MrPosh said:

I was going to point this out, but this is rugby league. Gorilla marketing is entirely plausible. 

Do you mean this?

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Whilst it would be good to see Top RU players coming across I wonder if I'm just too cynical...

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

rather than a childish LOL?

Yeah readies, greenbacks, cash, moolah and coinage. Added to the fact they'd disappear from the media overnight.

As far as I'm aware no one has ever undertaken a definitive study of just how many players who changed sport were successful as opposed to those who failed completely to make any kind of mark but made a career out of the decision. Yet we're still regaled with stories of possible defections which at the moment our sport can't afford. The only people who should be considered would be those who've already done it at the highest level. Anyone else is a risk beyond their worth. As an SRD fan I've been fortunate enough to see a fair few players of quality cross over and far more come and go like we had a revolving door. I think the games were closer in quality and expectation in the past and that made it more possible than now. In a short career where you have to earn as much as you can testing yourself in another sport for less money, and less recognition because your Dad did it is laughable.

And so LOL

461258762_L2.gif.8da01c71e9fbc86709baf24b09a3beb8.gif

Sensible enough for you?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

21 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Any chance of a sensible conversation where you explain why you don't think that proving themselves in the sport where their fathers made their names wouldn't motivate Ford and Farrell rather than a childish LOL?

It's not just their fathers making their name though. Rugby League is the sport they grew up playing and was their first love. All their comments always show that they have a nagging question in the back of their minds of whether they could make it at the highest level of Rugby League.

18 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Yeah readies, greenbacks, cash, moolah and coinage. Added to the fact they'd disappear from the media overnight.

As far as I'm aware no one has ever undertaken a definitive study of just how many players who changed sport were successful as opposed to those who failed completely to make any kind of mark but made a career out of the decision. Yet we're still regaled with stories of possible defections which at the moment our sport can't afford. The only people who should be considered would be those who've already done it at the highest level. Anyone else is a risk beyond their worth. As an SRD fan I've been fortunate enough to see a fair few players of quality cross over and far more come and go like we had a revolving door. I think the games were closer in quality and expectation in the past and that made it more possible than now. In a short career where you have to earn as much as you can testing yourself in another sport for less money, and less recognition because your Dad did it is laughable.

And so LOL

461258762_L2.gif.8da01c71e9fbc86709baf24b09a3beb8.gif

Sensible enough for you?

Well, you didn't really address the point I made which was that there would be 'some' motivation to play and prove themselves in the sport that their fathers played.

But at least you tried.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

If Leeds really are after Ford then it smacks of desperation.

As I said on the other thread and repeated by del capo above, there's no financial incentive for one, IMHO it would be career suicide. You're a pro sportsperson for a very short space of time, that can end in an instant so they have to make the most of it whilst they can AND think about their future post career. Playing RU and an national rep at that opens more doors for you and with a more likely chance of a decent wedge, just look at past England RU internationals, Wilko and Dellaglio were Land Rover brand ambassadors at the RUWC, LD has done this job with landy for 6 years, can you imagine a RL player getting a gig like that, nope, neither can i!

Also forget about the money, adapting to league could take some time and they would always be targeted even more than other halves, just look how John Gallagher was targeted, sure he was earning a load of money he wouldn't have in union but the neck injury effectively ended his career.

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Well, you didn't really address the point I made which was that there would be 'some' motivation to play and prove themselves in the sport that their fathers played.

Yes I did and it would still be a minimal consideration.

If our sport becomes ecenomically stronger they will be attracted to come for the dosh and they'll say it's for the challenge.

And there's still be a question mark about levels of failure and success.

I like this idea of some of the more affluent clubs spending big money on high profile players. The game needs it. From RU, the NRL; doesn't matter. But it needs an element of star quality to sell the sport over here; something we've been missing for years. So I am all for Toronto, Warrington, Leeds et al attempting to land the likes of Tuilagi, SBW and Ford... long may it continue and good luck to them.

11 hours ago, Oxford said:

Yes I did and it would still be a minimal consideration.

If our sport becomes ecenomically stronger they will be attracted to come for the dosh and they'll say it's for the challenge.

And there's still be a question mark about levels of failure and success.

No, what you did was list all of the reasons why Farrell wouldn't move to Rugby League... money, short career, recognition etc etc.

What you didn't address is my point that he would have some motivation to prove himself in Rugby League.  As Damien pointed out, he was born and grew up in a Rugby League stronghold, he played the game till he was 15 and his father is one of the best and most respected English Rugby League players of his generation.

I am not asking you to tell me the reasons why Owen Farrell will not switch codes (no offence, but they are pretty obvious), I am asking why you think my suggestion that Farrell would have some motivation to prove himself in the sport that his father succeeded in is laughable?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Cipriani is my favourite as the next one. Burrell hinted at it when he got to Wire

Absolutely. I'm only slightly annoyed that it seems like at Leeds we don't have any space for another half with 4 already on the books in Gale, Mclelland, Lui and Myler. With that crop you'd have to imagine the first 2 are what the future of the club is aimed around. 

Cipriani does seem like the type of player who could thrive in League with the right coaching.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Absolutely. I'm only slightly annoyed that it seems like at Leeds we don't have any space for another half with 4 already on the books in Gale, Mclelland, Lui and Myler. With that crop you'd have to imagine the first 2 are what the future of the club is aimed around. 

Cipriani does seem like the type of player who could thrive in League with the right coaching.

Cipriani could well do very well at League. He's very creative with his passes and kicks  and is a good runner with the ball. The biggest payday for him would be In France or Japan in Union. 

In the UK I would feel as he's not likely to be part of an England set up he is not going to on more than 450k a year maximum and probably in the range of 350k In more likelyhood. Still a huge salary of course, however not impossible for certain RL teams probably Leeds or Wire or Wigan or Saints or Hull or Les Dracs or TWP to come close to. 

15 hours ago, Rhinoferg said:

If we are going to sign someone from rugby yawnion then I can't think of anyone who would benefit the team, maybe Owen Farrell would be a good PR stunt,but there is not anybody else I know, mainly because that game is complete rubbish and boring to watch

If only there were examples of Union players coming over to League and being good.  I literally can't think of any.

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

No, what you did was list all of the reasons why Farrell wouldn't move to Rugby League... money, short career, recognition etc etc.

What you didn't address is my point that he would have some motivation to prove himself in Rugby League.  As Damien pointed out, he was born and grew up in a Rugby League stronghold, he played the game till he was 15 and his father is one of the best and most respected English Rugby League players of his generation.

I am not asking you to tell me the reasons why Owen Farrell will not switch codes (no offence, but they are pretty obvious), I am asking why you think my suggestion that Farrell would have some motivation to prove himself in the sport that his father succeeded in is laughable?

Yes I did without stating the obvious; What kind of idiot would accept less money and less everything in a short career like sports provides because they want to prove themselves?

There are other reasons but I'm not sure you reading what I'm typing to be honest.

21 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Yes I did without stating the obvious; What kind of idiot would accept less money and less everything in a short career like sports provides because they want to prove themselves?

There are other reasons but I'm not sure you reading what I'm typing to be honest.

I will try one more time,

Firstly, at no point in this conversation have I said that Ford or Farrell will come to Rugby League and I know that there are lots of reasons for them to stay in Union.

But what I have said, and I maintain, is that if you belong to a family of Rugby League players and in Farrell's case one of the finest of his generation, then there would be some (note the word some) motivation to prove that you could cut it in the sport.  This would be equally true if the Union/League roles were reversed.

Owen Farrell's dad is Andy Farrell, his uncle is Sean O'Loughlin, he was surrounded by Rugby League players and culture until he was 15 years old... are you seriously telling me he would have no desire to prove himself in the sport?

On 10/11/2019 at 12:42, del capo said:

Farrell played for St Pats in the U 16's , Ford for Waterhead. 

At a rumoured 25k per cap ( 11 this year) and according to Exeter Chiefs manager  average Premiership contracts for internationals at £350k who in their right mind would want to return to the code of their childhood ?

Sonny Bill returned at 34. These two , still in their 20's , would put millions into their bank accounts before even thinking of life after RU......

George Ford played for Saddleworth Rangers mate. I think he did anyway. 

I wonder who leaked it to the media?  Ford perhaps?  After his display in the Union WC final (and I saw the entire game) I wouldn't pay him out in washers.  He'll never be a top class stand off while he's got a hole in his ares.  England were camped on the Springbok line, they needed a class halfback to unlock the defence.  But of course they didn't have one.  Ford would never make it in top class RL.  Too slow between the ears.  (his dad was ###### too)

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

13 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I wonder who leaked it to the media?  Ford perhaps?  After his display in the Union WC final (and I saw the entire game) I wouldn't pay him out in washers.  He'll never be a top class stand off while he's got a hole in his ares.  England were camped on the Springbok line, they needed a class halfback to unlock the defence.  But of course they didn't have one.  Ford would never make it in top class RL.  Too slow between the ears.  (his dad was ###### too)

Don’t sugarcoat it. Tell us what you really think of him 

2 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

George Ford played for Saddleworth Rangers mate. I think he did anyway. 

He certainly did but Wikipedia also credits Waterhead as well as Wigan and Bradford Academies , presumably at Scholarship level.His schooling at Rishworth  and of course his dad must have influenced his route into RU.

Archived