Order, order!!

Always nice to see Rugby League fans in high office.  The newly-appointed Speaker of the House of Commons, Sir Lindsay Hoyle, was Vice-Chairman of Chorley Borough in the early 1990s and his father, Doug Hoyle MP for Warrington (now Baron Hoyle), was the Chorley president at that time.  And no, Winston Churchill wasn't a closet RL fan!

50 minutes ago, CmonTheBorough said:

And no, Winston Churchill wasn't a closet RL fan!

That surprises me, because behind the scenes he was clandestinely working with Gypsy gangster families in working-class Birmingham.   That’s what TV suggests anyway ??

We don't do politics in this section of the forum.

I'll leave this open here on the strict proviso it does not become a party political discussion.

If you want to congratulate Lindsay Hoyle on becoming Speaker, that's fine.

If you want to argue about politics, in any way, shape or form, please use the Political Discussions forum instead.

https://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?/forum/509-political-discussions/

Thanks

1 hour ago, CmonTheBorough said:

And no, Winston Churchill wasn't a closet RL fan!

Churchill was MP for Oldham shortly after the split from RU, a time when Oldham was a rugby town. So I'm sure he went out and sought the Roughyed vote.

59 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I'll leave this open here on the strict proviso it does not become a party political discussion.

If you want to argue about politics, in any way, shape or form, please use the Political Discussions forum instead.

Thanks

A totally innocent OP relating a current news story to Rugby League which you seem determined to construe as something it isn't and wasn't intended to be.

Just lock it and have done with it.

Thanks

45 minutes ago, CmonTheBorough said:

A totally innocent OP relating a current news story to Rugby League which you seem determined to construe as something it isn't and wasn't intended to be.

Just lock it and have done with it.

Thanks

Trust me, I know the way these things go, having been moderating this forum for nigh on 20 years now.

It's to prevent your totally innocent thread being locked (or moved without explanation) that I posted the earlier comment.

I think having Doug Hoyle MP - now Lord Hoyle - on the board at Warrington RLFC when a new stadium was required was quite fortunate.

A link with Tesco,in more prosperous times for the retail giant,has also been of benefit for another club in that part of the world when it came to improving stadia.

Probably what clubs on other side of the M62 required.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

6 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

RL has form for this.

A previous (deputy) Speaker played for Featherstone Rovers Intermediates back in the 1940s.

Betty "The Enforcer" Boothroyd?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I think having Doug Hoyle MP - now Lord Hoyle - on the board at Warrington RLFC when a new stadium was required was quite fortunate.

A link with Tesco,in more prosperous times for the retail giant,has also been of benefit for another club in that part of the world when it came to improving stadia.

We had Gerry Sutcliffe (MP for Bradford South) on the board when Omar Khan owned the club, but it didn't seem to help much with moving things forward...

48 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Do you mean the other end of the M62? Yorkshire?  Warrington and Wigan are already on opposite sides of the motorway.

I’m not sure Hoyle had that much to do with the stadium, more Deakin’s proposals carried through by Gatcliffe.   Hoyle was more of a token figurehead - that’s the way I perceived it.

56 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

RL has form for this.

A previous (deputy) Speaker played for Featherstone Rovers Intermediates back in the 1940s.

Geoff Lofthouse  MP and  ex Deputy  Speaker became  Lord Lofthouse Baron of Pontefract. He played for his home town club of Featherstone. A great and influential friend to the game, especially the grassroots. As President of BARLA  in 2003  he steered the game back to re-unification. Once said that controlling BARLA  and it's then politics was much harder than controlling the House of Commons.....

As for the current  Speaker Lindsay Hoyle MP once appeared before the NCL committee to persuade them to allow his beloved Chorley Borough entry when the NCL was re-structured to incorporate certain  former professional clubs. Still loves the game I understand.

22 hours ago, del capo said:

As for the current  Speaker Lindsay Hoyle MP once appeared before the NCL committee to persuade them to allow his beloved Chorley Borough entry when the NCL was re-structured to incorporate certain  former professional clubs. Still loves the game I understand.

Lindsay Hoyle is Vice-Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Rugby League Group (his father being President) so he certainly would still be a fan by the looks of it. 

I have a little anecdote. 

Way back sometime maybe in the 1990s, Warrington drew Chorley away in the Challenge Cup. Given that it's only about 20 miles away, a lot of Wire fans turned up. I remember going into one pub and the landlord had his head in his hands, saying he'd run out of everything except whisky and was gutted that he didn't know about the match!

I also remember Doug Hoyle wandering around the perimeter just chatting to some people and getting an impromptu standing ovation.

That memory has triggered all sorts of weird ones - Runcorn Highfield away with Les Boyd getting targeted by Runcorn players who later thought better of it.... York away when the half time snowball fight was shown on Scrumdown on ITV.... the time when the Swinton floodlights went out and they asked if there was an electrician in the crowd (and later asked if there was a qualified electrician in the ground) - so many funny and silly moments following my team.

What I know about that day at Chorley is that when people say "There's no such thing as a bad pub" I immediately think of that unfortunate Chorley landlord.

Anyone got a link to that day? I can't find anything.

5 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Lindsay Hoyle is Vice-Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Rugby League Group (his father being President) so he certainly would still be a fan by the looks of it. 

You're just making that APPRLG thing up aren't you?

On 10/11/2019 at 13:34, John Drake said:

Thanks

I want to congratulate Lindsay Hoyle on having a fantastic name . If he wasn’t speaker of the house of commend his name would lend it to ......

70s US Cop , he doesn’t play by the rules but by got he gets results . 

Austrailan Tennis ace . Never won a title , angry racket thrower .

Hawaiian free diving champion . Nickname  The sperm whale 

Penrith winger who just missed 86 tour selection , had a stint at Carslile .

British Director . Focused on mainly Kichen Sink drams like . My god life’s hard and Saturday night Sunday morning then back to work Monday in an awful job . 

I was at a local cricket match Adlington near Chorley in September and I got into a conversation with Doug Hoyle, who I remembered from his days in Parliament and we had a long discussion over Rugby League and his time at Warrington.

He is as keen as ever about the game and it was a pleasure to speak to him, his son has a lot to live up to, whilst we were talking Lyndsey rang his dad up asking if he was ok and what time did he want picking up from the cricket.

Archived