Lithuania's first game

Lithuania became the latest international Rugby League nation going down 58-0 to Wales Dragonhearts

Congratulations to Lithuania who become the latest addition to the international game. Their side, composed of Lithuanian born players who have all emigrated to the UK, travelled to Cardiff Arms Park to take on the community representative team Wales Dragonhearts. A commendable effort given that a number of the side had not played a 13 man game of rugby before.

Welcome to the international League family, Lithuania

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

11 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

What was the score? 

58-0 to Wales

Highlights here: https://wrl.wales/baptism-of-fire-for-lithuania-in-their-first-ever-international

Not sure what the Lithuanians standing at least 10 yards behind the play the ball is all about when in possession!

Good effort though, the Wales dragonhearts beat a solid England south east team recently 

10 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think the clue is in the OP link

I'm sorry Scoob' its the Irish in me. Just didn't see it. Thanks for putting me straight. 

2 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I've played with a few of the Lithuanian lads at Kings Lynn. Good bunch, hard as nails, and love the game. They've got tons to learn but good to see them setting up their own national side.

Kings Lynn?? Is there still a team in Kings Lynn, I thought they folded a few years back (though of course you might be talking about a few years back!). 

Used to have a ton of young Lithuanian juniors (U15's) involved down here in east London. All were tough little buggers, and generally pretty big lads. A few with a fair bit of promise too. All now sadly lost to the game after the funding to the game in London was pulled.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

Kings Lynn?? Is there still a team in Kings Lynn, I thought they folded a few years back (though of course you might be talking about a few years back!). 

No - sadly folded now after the Dunn’s left and a fair few Lithuanians went home. The club is still active on a social front but no playing/training activity sadly.

23 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I've played with a few of the Lithuanian lads at Kings Lynn. Good bunch, hard as nails, and love the game. They've got tons to learn but good to see them setting up their own national side.

Vince Karalius was part Lithuanian. Enough said.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

Was this a one off for Lithuania or is there a plan to take things forward and build on this debut? 

Looking to introduce the game in Lithuania according to a guy (I know him) on this post’s comments:

Also looking to relaunch the Kings Lynn team. 

On 10/11/2019 at 21:38, flyingking said:

Lithuania became the latest international Rugby League nation going down 58-0 to Wales Dragonhearts

Congratulations to Lithuania who become the latest addition to the international game. Their side, composed of Lithuanian born players who have all emigrated to the UK, travelled to Cardiff Arms Park to take on the community representative team Wales Dragonhearts. A commendable effort given that a number of the side had not played a 13 man game of rugby before.

Welcome to the international League family, Lithuania

I thought it got sunk?

I think I could play for Lithuania (depending on whether they recognise which country someone was born in then, or which country that place is in now), so if they need a 40-something who hasn’t played the game in years to make up numbers I’ll be up for it ?? 

2 hours ago, Celt said:

As a player, how can your first full game of Rugby League be against Wales?

Wales, despite being not very strong, are an established Rugby League nation.  Surely they (the Welsh players) should not be expected to line up against people who have never played a proper match in their lives?

It is pretty demeaning to the Welsh players and staff for starters.  I am hugely in favour of developing nations playing international games, but seriously - let them go up against each other, until they are able to put out a team who actually know what they are doing.  Anything less simply holds the game up as a laughing stock (in my opinion anyway).

Except for the fact that the Dragonhearts are not the Wales national team, they are an amateur rep XIII selected from the three or four hundred (at most) blokes playing amateur RL in the Principality. 

Said without intending to disrespect the Dragonhearts players. 

3 hours ago, latchford albion said:

And Tommy Raudonikis?

And don't forget Mick Liubinskas, who was a prominent forward for the Western Suburbs Magpies during the 1970s, and is currently a director of the Wests Tigers NRL club. Mick Liubinskas and Tommy Raudonikas are the gems of the Lithuanian rugby league tradition.

Mick-Liubinskas-HR-Jan-2016-001-267x400.jpg

16 hours ago, Celt said:

I appreciate that, but still.....

Picked to wear the Wales jersey, you are looking forward to going out, hearing the anthem etc, and your opposition is some guys who have never played a game in their lives.

Uninspiring at best.  A joke at worst.

I really am in favour of developing nations having internationals, and having looked at the video.... 'Wales' aren't great (to say the least.  low grade union players everywhere)  However, Lithuania are absolutely clueless in several positions (with one or 2 decent players too, it has to be said).  They literally don't know how many players to put in a scrum at one point, and with all the pushing and resetting of scrums (check out around the 57min mark for those who can't be bothered watching the match) it looks like some kind of public park rugby union match.  They really would be better off playing Finland or Sweden or somebody like that IMO.  I suspect though, that "Lithuania" is actually a load of guys living in England, and the sport does not actually exist in Lithuania. 

You've made me think, on this one and clarify my own views.

I presume the Welsh lads were well aware of the nature of the opposition and still put themselves forward for the honour, so good for them.

I don't really understand the snobbery apparent in not being willing to play or host or even entertain newcomers to our game, just because they're not very good at it, when we are trying to expand the global reach of the game (and also embed it here in Wales).

Everyone has to start somewhere and I think we should welcome newcomers with open arms.

I don't know anything about the make-up of the Welsh team but I do know that they will be selected from the existing Welsh open-age RL clubs, so your assertion that they are all low grade union players needs to be substantiated or be regarded as a crass insult.

With regard to your final comment, a similar one could be made about the Lebanon, being actually a load of guys living in Australia but their ok, because they can play a bit. 

I repeat, everyone has to start somewhere and I would rather we show a little more kindness, display a little less (unearned) superiority and a good deal more willingness the rejoice when people are putting themselves forward as advocates for our game in a pretty hostile world. 

19 hours ago, Celt said:

it is neither 'snobbery' nor is it 'a crass insult'.

You obviosly have not bothered to watch the game (or have done, but lack the knowledge to assess the relevant level) but when you see guys making 20 metres unopposed from half, despite meandering their run across the field, (among numerous other technical faults) it is pretty obvious what sort of standard we are talking about.  3 of their players (confirmed in a post above) "play" for a club that does have a team, but hopes to start one again in 2020.  

The 'Wales' team don't even have the same shirts on FFS.  (Some have sponsors on the back, some not....)

Just because people challenge the validity of these 'internationals' and don't happily clap along that "Lithuania" (it isn't really them, let's be honest...) are not a genuine addition to the 'International game' does not mean we are somehow an enemy of the game.

I have spent years working (volunteer and professional roles) in developing nations sport at international competition level, and am fully aware of challenges facing small, marginalised sports in non-traditional countries.  

Calling people 'snobs' or 'crass' is kind of laughable if it wasn't so tragic.  I fully support the development of the international game, and regularly stick money into developing RL federations via merchandise, tickets etc.

I will make allowances though, as your knowledge of the international game is obviouly very limited indeed.  The Lithuania example is nothing at all like Lebanon.  Rugby League exists in Lebanon.  I know one of their national players pretty well, and he is 100% Lebanese, born and raised.  Rugby League (according to a post on this very thread) does not exist in Lithuania.

From your very first comment on this match, your threads ooze arrogance. What are you trying to achieve? 

You think it permissible to speak of pioneers as a laughing stock, simply because they are the first players from somewhere (Lithuania) to show an interest in playing the game. You also refer to the Welsh representatives as low class which may or may not be true, but so what? They are the best players, who made themselves available for selection at this time.

You speak of their willingness to play against this new team as demeaning yet no-one was forced to take part, nor were they ignorant of the true nature of the opposition. They were probably motivated by the opportunity to give these newcomers some encouragement and to develop their own abilities. 

What would you suggest? Denying the Lithuanians the chance to play? Keeping them out of the game simply because they aren't very good? Nip them in the bud, before they have the chance to blossom? Who do you think you are? Its people like you who are (partly) responsible for the limited growth of the game worldwide. Looking down your nose at enthusiasts because they can't compete with well established nations. You don't have to ''clap along'' you celt, but you don't have to take the p......ss either. 

How well do you expect them to perform, when they are the very first people from Lithuania to play the game? What level must they be able to compete at, ''in your opinion'' before they should be allowed to play? Next question, if everyone responded in the way you have why should they bother to continue? It's a good job, they don't need permission from someone like you to get started, or the game would be already be dead in the water. Like most newcomers (thankfully) they don't need you, to get involved. All they want/need, is someone to play against.

For the record, you and I are polar opposites. I welcome newcomers, you don't. Simple.

So instead of banging on about having a bigger Rugby League Willie than I have stop and consider what comments like yours do to people the world over, who are thinking about giving our game a go. 

20 hours ago, Celt said:

Rugby League (according to a post on this very thread) does not exist in Lithuania.

But the game does exist amongst Lithuanian nationals, or seventeen of them at least, which by my reckoning is enough. 

Where would Rugby League be now (indeed, would it still even exist) if, back in 1907, the Northern Union had been so narrow-minded as to have rejected Albert Baskiville's hair-brained idea to bring over to the Britain a bunch of union players from a nation where the XIII man game didn't exist?

6 hours ago, Celt said:

I would suggest, that they play against other novice nations, like Sweden, or Finland (for example).

So a group of ex pat Lithuanians living in England, if they want a game, must collectively spend thousands of pounds on travel and accommodation and expenses to play another novice nation possibly on a pitch with soccer goals and in front of two men and a dog.

Who pays?

Would you be happier if the same group Welsh players had played as an Invitational XIII instead of the Dragonhearts?

15 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Only Rugby League fans could moan about people playing Rugby League. 

Hear hear! 

Archived