Wayne Bennetts future decided on several issues

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Eddie said:

It’s easy to describe it as pathetic but How do you think a team like Salford would pay for a top class academy? It’s not like there are even transfer fees in RL so team developing good players can sell them on. 

How long has Rugby League been played in Salford?

How long has Rugby League been played in London?

How long has Rugby League been played in Newcastle?

27 minutes ago, Click said:

Least we might get a bit more excitment on the field, and a team that may actually look like scoring a try. 5 drives and a kick doesn't work at international level.

As we were excited when the Aussies used to smash us.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

5 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I agree, but I think the game has a lot more problems than X doesnt have an academy and needs a lot more solutions than making X set up an academy

Yes i agree, but we need to start somewhere and start now.

You would agree though its pathetic that clubs that have played Rugby League for over 100 years can't get an academy team together wouldn't you?

Funny enough, I decided to cheer myself up by watching an old DVD of a tri-nations GB/Aus match when Nobby was coach, and Bennett was in charge of the Kangaroos.

The Aussies were offloading the ball all over the place, and spreading the ball about at every opportunity. It was very entertaining.  And we won.

I'm not sure what any of that means though, other than Bennett doesn't coach us the way he used to do Australia, and he's still a loser.

24 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

This past season Salford didn't have an academy team and Hull FC and Hull KR had a joint academy in a Rugby League city like Hull. Yet Newcastle and London run academies. How long has Rugby League been played in Hull and Salford?

Pathetic from Salford and the Hull clubs in my opinion.

You're right in this regard - But they are also less likely to have as many players from overseas compared to say 10 years ago. And more likely to have British talent that has come through from other clubs.

20 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

How long has Rugby League been played in Salford?

How long has Rugby League been played in London?

How long has Rugby League been played in Newcastle?

What’s your point here? Why is it pathetic that Salford don’t have a top quality academy if they can’t afford one? Maybe you should give them the millions needed to set one up. 

23 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I don't know, but we need to find out and if not act.

As a game we need to be a lot more proactive than we are

Who is ‘we’? Are you involved in this stuff or just criticising other people on the internet? 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What’s your point here? Why is it pathetic that Salford don’t have a top quality academy if they can’t afford one? Maybe you should give them the millions needed to set one up. 

How come that Newcastle and London run academies in non heartland areas, but Salford can't?

How come in a Rugby League city like Hull, Hull FC and Hull KR had to have a joint academy?

4 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

How come that Newcastle and London run academies in non heartland areas, but Salford can't?

How come in a Rugby League city like Hull, Hull FC and Hull KR had to have a joint academy?

Because they haven’t got any money. How can they have an academy if they haven’t got any money to run it?

2 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Perhaps I'm helping run one now, and i ask again about your involvement in Rugby League?

I’ve just played, I live 150 miles from the nearest RL club. However my involvement is irrelevant because i’m not criticising other teams’ lack of academies. 

Just now, scotchy1 said:

I agree we need to start somewhere and start now.

I dont know whether another academy taking players out of the amateur pool in greater manchester and hull are the answers.

Well lets agree that we need to get more schools playing. We need to augment our junior playing base

48 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

We cant pretend our problems start or stop with Bennett.

There is a problem that we arent producing enough players, of enough quality to be where we want to be. 

We have no centres and no halves that are world class. 

We just arent good enough, tactically, professionally, preparationally, we are years behind. 

We have spent nearlyb2 decades doing things on the cheap, we cant be surprised the NRL has soared even further away.

We need a comprehensive plan not to catch up but to go beyond the NRL. We need a sea change in our thinking at everything from how we get kids to play, how the best of them are developed, how they are introduced to the pro game and how we prioritise the international game. 

This will require money, it will require sacrifice, it will require the old ways of doing things to be consigned to the past. 

For once, I agree with much of this Scotchy.  ? 

I would be surprised if WB hasn’t already suggested these.  However, I doubt all SL CEOs will be of the same opinion to achieve a common goal.

The game here needs some honest assessment, but I still think we have some good players to come in.  They need to be ‘in’ for next year though.

3 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Well lets agree that we need to get more schools playing. We need to augment our junior playing base

I completely agree that for the game to grow it needs more schools playing. However how do you suggest ‘we’ (by that do you mean the RFL or clubs?) go about it - the game is absolutely skint and it takes money to get people playing in non-Heartland areas (which the owners of London and Newcastle have and are prepared to spend). 

For example I live in Norfolk where I suspect there isn’t a single school playing the game. How, other than by paying coaches and offering them to schools for free, could it be done?

The shortage of players and the dependence on overseas players sits squarely at the RL management door. Summer rugby has reduced the number of lads playing the game at grassroots. In my playing day all amateur clubs had two teams, some had three, now in summer with all of the other things going on, clubs are struggling to field one side.

Also, SL aka Sky will be cutting funding to grassroots rugby so reducing the number of players even more!

I feel for Bennett having to field a competitive  side with very limited resources.

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I completely agree that for the game to grow it needs more schools playing. However how do you suggest ‘we’ (by that do you mean the RFL or clubs?) go about it - the game is absolutely skint and it takes money to get people playing in non-Heartland areas (which the owners of London and Newcastle have and are prepared to spend). 

For example I live in Norfolk where I suspect there isn’t a single school playing the game. How, other than by paying coaches and offering them to schools for free, could it be done?

Kids don’t have to be playing in costly league arrangements at first.  Playing every 3 or 4 weeks in tournaments if good enough.  From those, local arrangements/matches can be made.

It doesn’t take mega bucks but it needs Volunteers. 

6 minutes ago, jroyales said:

The shortage of players and the dependence on overseas players sits squarely at the RL management door. Summer rugby has reduced the number of lads playing the game at grassroots. In my playing day all amateur clubs had two teams, some had three, now in summer with all of the other things going on, clubs are struggling to field one side.

Also, SL aka Sky will be cutting funding to grassroots rugby so reducing the number of players even more!

I feel for Bennett having to field a competitive  side with very limited resources.

Nothing to do with summer switch, all major grassroots Sports are struggling with the changing society 

22 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I agree we need to start somewhere and start now.

I dont know whether another academy taking players out of the amateur pool in greater manchester and hull are the answers.

A starting point would be one of the clubs who lie in saturated areas re-igniting the midlands junior league to feed into an academy.

Of course it requires money, vision, volunteers and support from Clubs foundations but sadly people all too often don’t seem to want to do the hard yards and develop a long term vision and strategy (which is what was so refreshing about Newcastle’s approach)

12 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Kids don’t have to be playing in costly league arrangements at first.  Playing every 3 or 4 weeks in tournaments if good enough.  From those, local arrangements/matches can be made.

It doesn’t take mega bucks but it needs Volunteers.

It needs something else too: kids being inspired to want to play in the first place.  In the era when they all see continental-scale competitions like the Champions League, UEFA League and Heineken Cup as standard fare, how do you expect a sport which outsiders think (in and when they ever think of it that is) is a small time regional game with limited appeal to give that inspiration and desire to play to those kids?

10 minutes ago, jroyales said:

It doesn't matter what team sport you care to mention - football, cricket, rugby league, union, anything else - the numbers are falling year after year. People just don't want to play team sports anymore. They like going to the gym, they like taking classes, they like occasional, casual sports events like softball and dodgeball and tag rugby after work. But they do not want to commit to a team where they have to train twice a week and play on weekends and be committed to something for 8 months of the year. They just don't. And it's even harder for a sport like RL where the risk of injury is high.

You can criticise it. You can complain about it. Your can talk about how it was when you were young. But it ain't gonna change a thing. It's the way the world is now.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

We need to play France in mid season in France and not have any NRL players and a maximum of 2 players per club and the team all Englishmen.

I see no value for the game of England playing against a team of plastic Scots, plastic Irishman and plastic Welshmen

Those "plastic" teams can actually be more competitive than France.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Archived