Reported Williams to take to the ring again

frank

Reports coming out state Williams is to take to the ring again by taking on Paul Gallon.Williams has had a number of fights  against unfit  overweight opponents.I hope the Wolfpack have him well insured. Would have thought he was finished with boxing.

I assume a big part of his reason for going to North America (aside from the cash!) is a new base for his boxing career. If it takes off, it might actually be a further boost for Toronto and Superleague. Imagine having a boxer with a high profile in the US playing rugby league! Sure there's risk, but that's what makes the whole thing so fascinating...

1 hour ago, ghost crayfish said:

I assume a big part of his reason for going to North America (aside from the cash!) is a new base for his boxing career. If it takes off, it might actually be a further boost for Toronto and Superleague. Imagine having a boxer with a high profile in the US playing rugby league! Sure there's risk, but that's what makes the whole thing so fascinating...

Now that you say it, this makes sense. He's a fascinating character and HW boxing is very lucrative. Being in North America and the UK opens up alot of possibilities for him with Boxing. He would certainly be able to draw a decent crowd. The whole situation is fascinating for sure! 

9 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Now that you say it, this makes sense. He's a fascinating character and HW boxing is very lucrative. Being in North America and the UK opens up alot of possibilities for him with Boxing. He would certainly be able to draw a decent crowd. The whole situation is fascinating for sure! 

But if you’ve outlayed and invested so much in him would you want him Boxing ?

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Not a chance in he11! What if he breaks his hand or jaw? Plus boxing is very minor league - MMA is much higher profile.

But if he negotiated that in his contract...

Still can't see them agreeing to it.

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

He may have negotiated for it, in his contract. He managed to have 6 or 7 fights while under contract to the NRL or the NZRU so there's a record of employers giving him flexibility on this additional sporting goal of his.

Its a possibility as TWP really wanted to sign him and may well have an agreement for one fight a year in the off season?

17 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

He may have negotiated for it, in his contract. He managed to have 6 or 7 fights while under contract to the NRL or the NZRU so there's a record of employers giving him flexibility on this additional sporting goal of his.

Its a possibility as TWP really wanted to sign him and may well have an agreement for one fight a year in the off season?

I suspect he would have to make his own insurance arrangements that would indemnify TWP should he injure himself and be unable to play. And even then it's just too great a risk for them.

37 minutes ago, SL17 said:

I think he’ll have a job contesting SL nevermind boxing.

He HAS a job contesting SL that should preclude boxing.

15 minutes ago, SL17 said:

It’s just hype for me. He is a second rower now. Gone are the days of playing center as is boxing.

Too bad he couldn't do both at the same time like we used to do over here in hockey....until the rule changers happened.

The entire Philly team used to skate and box every night!

On 11/11/2019 at 09:36, frank said:

Reports coming out state Williams is to take to the ring again by taking on Paul Gallon.Williams has had a number of fights  against unfit  overweight opponents.I hope the Wolfpack have him well insured. Would have thought he was finished with boxing.

He’s been avoiding Gallen for years

12 hours ago, Eddie said:

Good move from TWP,  what better publicity for a club from a new sport in NA than having a champion heavyweight boxer in the team, especially if he gets a couple of flights over there in the close season. 

Yeh what could possibly go wrong ?

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Yeh what could possibly go wrong ?

He could get injured but let’s face it his signing is 50% about his undoubted rugby ability and 50% about publicity so a heavyweight bout would bring more publicity. That said they could have just signed Frank Bruno and got him back in the ring, and it would have been a lot cheaper. 

Archived