Are you a genuine RL fan or not?

Eddie

I was brought up a distant 2.6 miles from the nearest M62 junction but was born a whopping 3.4 miles from it  

Not sure if this makes me a proper fan who’s opinions count or a nouveau expansionist who should go away and leave Heartlanders to it, particularly considering the nearest top flight ground in my youth was a shameful 9 miles away.

Are any of you bona fide fans?

I'm from Wigan but didn't really watch league properly bar the odd spell until i was 14/15 - but i'd say i enjoy a decent game of RL over a below par Wigan game (and no that isn't all of them...)

What's a proper fan anyway? The older i get the more i think it's a bit of a myth, even proper fans pick and choose their games due to money, other commitments etc - if you're a film fan you don't need to watch every film at the cinema to know about them. Enjoy it how you want to i say.

10 minutes ago, overtheborder said:

I'm from Wigan but didn't really watch league properly bar the odd spell until i was 14/15 - but i'd say i enjoy a decent game of RL over a below par Wigan game (and no that isn't all of them...)

What's a proper fan anyway? The older i get the more i think it's a bit of a myth, even proper fans pick and choose their games due to money, other commitments etc - if you're a film fan you don't need to watch every film at the cinema to know about them. Enjoy it how you want to i say.

Agreed, I mainly watch on tv as I live so far away and just go to the big games, many people wouldn’t consider me a proper fan even though I love the game. 

well I got up at 3.45 am the other week to watch that tripe served up and it didn't stop me getting up early again this week for second helpings, how genuine do you want it?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

From about 18-24, I did anywhere 10-12 Saints games a year, which is not bad going when it was a 400 mile round trip, though I never shouted about it and didn’t and still wouldn’t class myself as any more or less of a fan that lives two minutes’ walk from the stadium. Sitting for hours on coaches, trains and occasionally planes (for Catalans) didn’t feel great at the time, sometimes at ridiculous hours of the day or night. 

I’m not really fussed about it and I’m not really bothered about how people classify my support. 

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

You arent a real fan unless you've travelled to Watersheddings on a boxing day in a blizzard. I saw penguins huddled round a fire there.

LUXURY! I dug the car out a snowdrift in Aberdeen to drive to balmy Fulham in 1981 just to get an autographed picture of Reg Bowden and it wasn't even match day, he was at home in widnes and I had to spend 8 nights sleeping in the car  waiting for Reg to arrive for the home game against Carlisle, when he arrived at craven cottage I ran after him with my trusty parker pen and he said "eff off u effing weirdo, if I have to tell you again im calling the police" I got back in the car and just put it down to Reg been a bit narky and set off to a barbers in wakefield for a lock of brian  juliffs hair to Sellotape in my scrapbook only to be told he had been in the day before as he wanted his barnet looking immaculate for a friends wedding that weekend, dedication to the game comes in all sorts of ways.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Followed Featherstone Rovers through thick and thin since 1938/9. Even had the results in newspaper form sent to me when I was doing my N.S in Egypt. Restricted at 85 a bit on travelling but still get my season ticket and support what is going on.  Use to go to all games even when I lived away from Fev due to the job I was doing. UTR.

I was fortunate to go on two Aussie tours in 1988 and 1992. I realised on these two trips that the vast majority of the fans on these two tours were genuine Rugby League fans. Sure they supported their own clubs but fully understood that their club was not the be all and end all of Rugby League. I made friends with lots of supporters on these trips and still speak to some of them after all these years.St.Helens, Wigan, Hull KR and most of the other clubs,yes even Fev. lads. However the ones I found were the most enthusiatic for Rugby League were the Cumbrian lads.They were Rugby League through and through and when I worked up there in Whitehaven I was asked by several Rugby League fans to get them a Bradford shirt. At that time I had a good collection of Bradford shirts and took quite a few up there. So, DKW if you see any fans up there wearing old Bradford shirts they were probably from me. Although I do appreciate that they will have probably ripped them up and burned them now.L.O.L.

Everyone who loves the game is a fan , whatever background whatever perspective   . Not ‘ genuine fans ‘ or otherwise . Why take the pi$$ out of anyone , a lot of those fans keep the game going in communities and I haven’t met anyone who says no change or expansion at all . That would be silly and we’d have no league one at all !

3 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Genuine fans will watch the most boring thursday night game when an over hyped game is on free to air tv in other team sports ( champions league, 6 nations ,world cups etc.)

Don't agree, fans will go to games if they are able to, some fans can't, that doesn't mean that any person isn't genuine because they don't get to games, I know plenty of 'genuine' fans and season ticket holders that don't go to the early rounds of the cup when it's at home, does that make them a lesser fan than someone who does, to me it doesn't, not even slightly.

I think you're describing most RL supporters but I guess you could call them that do go to a Thursday night game when it's  bitterly cold, something else on that one could easily submit to doing/watching instead, 'ardent' fans rather than the label of 'genuine'.

Genuine fans are simply interested in the sport, how many games they/you go to is irrelevant.

Archived