South Sydney director’s international blueprint

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Souths’ director of football Shane Richardson puts forward a host of good ideas to grow the international game.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/11/richos-vision-22-rounds-standalone-origins-more-tests-and-world-9s-circuit/

Worth a read. 

NRL are wonderful and are going to tell us all what to do.  

5 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Souths’ director of football Shane Richardson puts forward a host of good ideas to grow the international game.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/11/richos-vision-22-rounds-standalone-origins-more-tests-and-world-9s-circuit/

Worth a read. 

He’s right about pretty much everything there except 9s in my opinion.

NZRL must not only get a same sized grant, but, the NZRL should really come under the direct authority of the NRL, which itself should become the governing body of all nations in the South Pacific, if not simply replacing the IRL.

6 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

NRL are wonderful and are going to tell us all what to do.  

Yeah or otherwise you can just stick with poorly planned GB tours that ignore Welsh players anyway, Superleague seasons that go for 10 months without time off for tests and France v England games on Wednesday nights with no TV coverage.

Like the ideas put forward NZRL definitely deserve an NRL grant to help fund there programs as the NRL makes million dollars in profit out of the NZ market in TV rights, Sponsorship and merchandise sales. 

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

He’s right about pretty much everything there except 9s in my opinion.

NZRL must not only get a same sized grant, but, the NZRL should really come under the direct authority of the NRL, which itself should become the governing body of all nations in the South Pacific, if not simply replacing the IRL.

ER no way in hell can the NZRL be run by the NRL as NZRL are the authorized administrative body of the sport in NZ and have been since 1907 and they are partly funded as a result by NZ government sports funding. Im all for the NRL collaborating with NZRL on how a grant would be spent, for example referee recruitment and training, Coaching clinics, National age grade rep sides, NZ resident side funding, national competition... that type of thing

I think a small World 9's circuit of about 4 tournaments in 4 different locations could be setup with if a TV deal was found and it wouldn't necessarily need NRL players to participate in all of the tournaments.

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Worth a read. 

The problem is the NRL/ARL will want SOO to remain number 1 for them, hence that's why they didn't promote the 2017 as well as they should have done in my opinion.

10 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Worth a read. 

It's a tough read because it is full of praise for the NRL and its commitment to the Pacific nations and highly critical of the British tour and the Denver test.  Although to be honest most of the criticism is entirely fair.

There is some real merit in what Richardson says and his views that "It’s not about making money, it’s about growing the game" or "it is not all about the NRL" give you some confidence that there are people who see the big picture.

There are clearly some missing parts here.  To have an article about international League without any mention of the 2021 World Cup, which is already set to be the biggest showcase of the sport we have ever seen, is odd and you only have to assume that it is because the NRL have no input into this.

The World Cup should be the bedrock of the international schedule with other events being built around it, we need the World Cup to the pinnacle of the sport and the single biggest event we stage.

I would say that it is a very encouraging article overall and the performances of Tonga and the entertainment that the likes of Fiji, Samoa and PNG offer is really starting to take effect.  As he says, the AFL has no real equivalent and so it is a strategic driver for the long term success of the NRL to have a vibrant international competition.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

The problem is the NRL/ARL will want SOO to remain number 1 for them, hence that's why they didn't promote the 2017 as well as they should have done in my opinion.

Took a long while for the Aussie penny to drop re the international game but to be fair the NRL invested in it and it’s paying back.

Arguably it’s us up here in the Northern Hemisphere who aren’t pulling our weight.  

Where is the Oceania Cup-style comp in Europe?

Why didn’t England play a mid-year test?

Why is France trampling on its proud international heritage?

Why isn’t Ireland as competitive as it ought to be outside of World Cups? Etc

Mr Dunbar, the whole thing is Australian, NRL, centric. And at the centre is SoO.  

But fair enough, it is a fact of life. Its own competition is AFL.

If we are a shambles, on several levels, that does not stop me pointing out that everything in the article is NRL led.

Standalone Origin weekends are key to having a meaningful in season international calendar. If they happen then the possibilities are endless.

He raises some good points but some of it is lost sucking up to his paymaster with the holier than thou attitude of everything the NRL does is right and what everyone else does is wrong.

Also how many of these plans has Richardson actually come up with? He comes up with more plans than some posters on this forum!

27 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Mr Dunbar, the whole thing is Australian, NRL, centric. And at the centre is SoO.  

But fair enough, it is a fact of life. Its own competition is AFL.

If we are a shambles, on several levels, that does not stop me pointing out that everything in the article is NRL led.

Yes very australian centric but i think that is forgivable given that it is an aussie paper/website too.. 

what would be interesting, now that he has has started this debate, is to get our own media to talk to him and see what he thinks for the game up here.. 

Denver was wrong in its execution but i think we can all agree that the NRL didnt help that with the on again off again arguments that were doing the rounds at the time and of course the money just wasnt there. The GB Tour has been a shambles but that is a wood legacy with no real thought of how to execute (shock horror) and also an issue around no plan b when the main crux of the tour didnt (and may was never going to) happen.

How do you solve the issues up here though. England have no opposition (i believe there is a way around it but it would be partly manufactured, no english NRL players in mid season/European games [sacrifice for going down there]).. I dont mind the idea we may win loads more than we lose (australia does this against New Zealand) but it cannot be 40 point drubbings year on year. how do you build something up here, what would he do? he has a plan for the international game.. what is it outside the southern hemisphere?

I would love to think our media would be on it like a shot.. 

Richo is a great man, and a credit to our game. He poured a fortune of his own money into Gateshead. He makes a lot of good points, but these ideas are not entirely new. The key point is that any new strategy requires investment and organisations living from hand to mouth don’t have the luxury of doing more than planning the next move, hoping it pays off. 

At this stage, the size of the upside is so huge relative to the size of the investment, that it could be an easier sell than in years gone by. People criticise all Aussies for not doing enough, but they are discerning fans of our game and on the international side they have seen virtually no competitive matches for decades. Tonga besting them in a match with an atmosphere rarely experienced by the panthers has made everyone sit up and take notice. This could all work out very nicely indeed. 

Whilst we have an International Rugby League board headed by a guy whose only real achievement, as described by the IRL website itself, is to have donated his extensive collection of match programmes to a museum, we simply aren't going anywhere.

Nigel Wood didn't take the game one step forward during his time with the RFL, and, apart from the organisation of some overblown meetings in some nice places around the world, hasn't done anything of note in his international tenure either.

Until we get some people in place that can see through this fraud, we will continue to stagnate.

5 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Whilst we have an International Rugby League board headed by a guy whose only real achievement, as described by the IRL website itself, is to have donated his extensive collection of match programmes to a museum, we simply aren't going anywhere.

Nigel Wood didn't take the game one step forward during his time with the RFL, and, apart from the organisation of some overblown meetings in some nice places around the world, hasn't done anything of note in his international tenure either.

Until we get some people in place that can see through this fraud, we will continue to stagnate.

i take it you didnt see the rebrand then.... other than that I have nothing!

1 minute ago, Jim Prendle said:

I did, but I treated it as nothing.

It has to be counted otherwise he really has done nothing, and i'm not sure how that could be justified.. 

Sorry, didn't realise that anything he did, or didn't do, had to be justified.

My mistake.

Even though my comments have been tongue in cheek I am pretty sure the head of the organisation will have to justify what he is doing.. If we take the rebrand out (which you cant but it doesnt take every minute of every day) he has done nothing and its unjustifiable.. the RLI is a waste of space.

1 minute ago, RP London said:

Even though my comments have been tongue in cheek I am pretty sure the head of the organisation will have to justify what he is doing.. If we take the rebrand out (which you cant but it doesnt take every minute of every day) he has done nothing and its unjustifiable.. the RLI is a waste of space.

Then we are agreed.

Then we are agreed.

always were.. my original comment was suppose to point out how little had been done by pointing out the 1 thing that has... 1 in how long?

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

This could work in the international games favour. If we can get State of Origin to be played on 3 stand alone weekends, Tonga, New Zealand, Samoa, Fiji, PNG, Cook Islands, Lebanon, England could all potentially play 3 mid season internationals. 

Archived