South Sydney director’s international blueprint

6 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Are there any Australian clubs in SL? No.

So it makes your convoluted point redundant 

It doesn't matter whether there is an Australian team in SL because his point isn't reliant on their being teams, it's about the NRL making money in NZ and taking juniors out of NZ supposedly without putting anything back into NZ.

You don't need a team in a market to suck talent out of a market or to make money in a market, lots of money in some cases.

There's nothing convoluted about that at all, and you are trying to move the goal posts so you don't have to address the logical inconsistency in his idea, namely that if the NZRL is going to get kick backs for money made in "their" market then everybody else is going to expect the same in kind.  

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Damien said:

It indeed does. Some of the Australians on here can never take any criticism of the NRL and the way it operates and it always makes these types of debate difficult.

I have no problem criticising the NRL, in fact 95% of the time I spend talking about the NRL is spent criticising it.

However the vast majority of the discussion about the NRL on this forum is either totally unfair criticism of the NRL (basically blaming them for all of the sports failures, even when they weren't involved at all) and/or insane ideas about how the NRL should be expected to basically bankrupt it's self propping up all manner of crazy ideas because 'they can afford it' and "it's for the good of the game".

A large majority of that discussion about the NRL also comes off simply as vindictive rants, it's always about getting something out of the NRL (normally money or players) to prop some other disparate part of the game. In other words it's always about tearing the NRL down to the rest of the games level instead of building the rest of the games up to the NRL's level.

It reminds me of how a lot of the older fans and even the odd member of the old boys group in Sydney used to talk about the Raiders and Broncos in the early 90s before SL. In short it was all about ways to split their teams apart and punishing them for being successful. 

NRL does not run any programs in NZ on an ongoing annual basis it does in Australia and also gives 38 million per year in grants to Australian State leagues. I like the NRL's product more than the Fast food chain you mentioned but at least that fast food chain gives back even a small % of profits to assist sick children and there families in the community. Good will is everything in the sports entertainment industry and a charitable trust could be set up in NZ by the NRL to give back some small % to communities that support the game.  Even NRL Indigenous round totally misses the point in NZ a large percentage of NZ Warriors fans, players and staff are Maori. 

4 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

NRL does not run any programs in NZ on an ongoing annual basis it does in Australia and also gives 38 million per year in grants to Australian State leagues.

What do you mean by programs?

I've shown where you can find out about the NRL's charitable work and you've ignored it, and surely you aren't suggesting that the Warriors don't run juniors/development programs (other clubs have done stuff in NZ on occasion as well BTW), because if you are that again is you just choosing to ignore that.

The programs exist you are just refusing to acknowledge their existence.

You're also ignoring all the development work that every NRL club does when they develop Kiwi players, and I remind you again that they are the only RL organisations doing that work and that without them doing it RL would be effectively dead in NZ by now, and every professional RL player from NZ (with the exception of some of those that were raised in Australia) would either be professional RU players or not have had an opportunity to play pro-sport if it wasn't for the NRL. In other words without the NRL doing what it does in NZ then RL would be a tiny minority sport in NZ, and the RL community in NZ would be equivalent to other tiny minority sports such as Handball or Lacrosse.And what greater charity could their be that the NRL could give the NZ RL community then literally propping RL in the country by feeding it with professional player and super stars?

I like the NRL's product more than the Fast food chain you mentioned but at least that fast food chain gives back even a small % of profits to assist sick children and there families in the community. Good will is everything in the sports entertainment industry and a charitable trust could be set up in NZ by the NRL to give back some small % to communities that support the game. 

They already are giving back a small percentage, you are just choosing to ignore it!

https://www.warriors.kiwi/community/charity-partners/

https://www.nrl.com/community/

Even NRL Indigenous round totally misses the point in NZ a large percentage of NZ Warriors fans, players and staff are Maori. 

Look, I agree that the NRL should't have a mandatory Indigenous Round (they shouldn't have mandatory rounds for anything, especially things that are political and/or divisive), but to suggest that the NRL shouldn't have an Indigenous Round because it focuses on indigenous Australians and not Maori, or that to focus on indigenous Australians and not Maori is somehow offensive to Maori, is just irrational.

For one thing the Maori are indigenous peoples (to New Zealand obviously), and more importantly the NRL is an Australian competition where all but one of the clubs is based in Australia, so of course any "indigenous" programs are going to be focused mainly Indigenous Australians.

2 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

They already are giving back a small percentage, you are just choosing to ignore it!

https://www.warriors.kiwi/community/charity-partners/

https://www.nrl.com/community/

Look, I agree that the NRL should't have a mandatory Indigenous Round (they shouldn't have mandatory rounds for anything, especially things that are political and/or divisive), but to suggest that the NRL shouldn't have an Indigenous Round because it focuses on indigenous Australians and not Maori, or that to focus on indigenous Australians and not Maori is somehow offensive to Maori, is just irrational.

For one thing the Maori are indigenous peoples (to New Zealand obviously), and more importantly the NRL is an Australian competition where all but one of the clubs is based in Australia, so of course any "indigenous" programs are going to be focused mainly Indigenous Australians.

The 1st link above is the NZ warriors organisation charity partners that they give time and money an NZ based sports team giving its own time and money to other kiwis without direct involvement of the NRL.

The 2nd link has no mention of any NRL activities/initiatives/course/events that take place in NZ.

My point on the NRL indigenous round needs to include Maori as the indigenous people of NZ as the NZ Warriors are part of the competition and often play a home game in NZ that round and a large percentage of Warriors Fans/players/staff are Maori. The Warriors do there bit usually have a Maori themed jersey for that round but the NRL forgets it also operates in NZ.

10 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

It doesn't matter whether there is an Australian team in SL because his point isn't reliant on their being teams, it's about the NRL making money in NZ and taking juniors out of NZ supposedly without putting anything back into NZ.

You don't need a team in a market to suck talent out of a market or to make money in a market, lots of money in some cases.

There's nothing convoluted about that at all, and you are trying to move the goal posts so you don't have to address the logical inconsistency in his idea, namely that if the NZRL is going to get kick backs for money made in "their" market then everybody else is going to expect the same in kind.  

It’s highly relevant despite your assertions. 

Lets take a comparison to SL. Currently SL subsidises Catalans, as their TV deal (which has just ended) covered the costs but didn’t directly contribute additional revenue to SL. However, if Toulouse joined and they were able to secure a revenue generating tv deal from French broadcasters, then it would only be just that SL re-invested that money into developing the French game. The whole game, and particularly the key stakeholders at the top, have a duty of care to take a holistic approach to ensuring the game supports the many, not just the few it chooses.

On 01/12/2019 at 20:29, kiwis 13 6 said:

The 1st link above is the NZ warriors organisation charity partners that they give time and money an NZ based sports team giving its own time and money to other kiwis without direct involvement of the NRL.

The Warriors act as representatives of the NRL in NZ, they also exist at the NRL's whim.

Everything they do they do as a representative of the NRL.

The 2nd link has no mention of any NRL activities/initiatives/course/events that take place in NZ.

If you were willing to trawl the news part of that website you probably would find mention of the stuff in NZ, but that's not the point of the link, the point is to point you in the direction of where to ask them about what they do in NZ. 

BTW, I know for a fact that at least a couple of those programs, particularly Voice Against Violence, run/have run programs in the PI's, and I'd be willing to bet they've been in NZ as well and you just haven't heard about it.

My point on the NRL indigenous round needs to include Maori as the indigenous people of NZ as the NZ Warriors are part of the competition and often play a home game in NZ that round and a large percentage of Warriors Fans/players/staff are Maori. The Warriors do there bit usually have a Maori themed jersey for that round but the NRL forgets it also operates in NZ.

As you just said yourself it already does include Maori.

You do realise that the jerseys, charity work, and the indigenous theme/representation on game days (most of which is organised by the clubs) is pretty much all that goes into Indigenous round right?!

I mean what the Warriors are doing for indigenous round in NZ is exactly what is happening over here, so I'm not sure what more would you want them or the NRL to do?

On 01/12/2019 at 20:31, DoubleD said:

It’s highly relevant despite your assertions. 

Lets take a comparison to SL. Currently SL subsidises Catalans, as their TV deal (which has just ended) covered the costs but didn’t directly contribute additional revenue to SL. However, if Toulouse joined and they were able to secure a revenue generating tv deal from French broadcasters, then it would only be just that SL re-invested that money into developing the French game. The whole game, and particularly the key stakeholders at the top, have a duty of care to take a holistic approach to ensuring the game supports the many, not just the few it chooses.

Mate you are very, very confused...

The NRL already subsidises the Warriors, in fact it subsidises all of the NRL clubs through grants (even when they are profitable), and a portion of those grants are earmarked for the grassroots and junior development, i.e. to be re-invested into the local game, in the Warriors case the Kiwi game.

Grants to the Warriors also aren't what is being talked about, they are a given and as I explained before already happen, what's being suggested is that the NRL should give the NZRL a grant out of the net profit that the NRL makes in NZ (specifically out of the NZ broadcasting rights).

So to give you a hypothetical equivalent of what is being suggested using the RFL and FFR XII, imagine if the RFL was expected to give the FFR XIII a percentage of every pound they made in France, even though the FFR XIII isn't institutionally connected to the RFL and didn't have anything to do with the process of actually making that money, they just get a cut because they are from France and France is 'their market'.

Making money in a market doesn't require there to be a club in the market, it only requires that people from that market spend money on the product. So even though the RFL doesn't have an Australian club, it does make money in Australia, so if the RFL is being held to the same standards that are being expected of the NRL in this case, then the RFL would owe the NRL a percentage of that money.

If you add in what has been subtly suggested earlier: that extra should be given for all the players that from NZ in the NRL, then the RFL would owe the NRL a very big check.

3 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Mate you are very, very confused...

The NRL already subsidises the Warriors, in fact it subsidises all of the NRL clubs through grants (even when they are profitable), and a portion of those grants are earmarked for the grassroots and junior development, i.e. to be re-invested into the local game, in the Warriors case the Kiwi game.

Grants to the Warriors also aren't what is being talked about, they are a given and as I explained before already happen, what's being suggested is that the NRL should give the NZRL a grant out of the net profit that the NRL makes in NZ.

So to give you a hypothetical equivalent of what is being suggested using the RFL and FFR XII, imagine if the RFL was expected to give the FFR XIII a percentage of every pound they made in France, even though the FFR XIII isn't institutionally connected to the RFL and didn't have anything to do with the process of actually making that money, they just get a cut because they are from France and France is 'their market'.

Making money in a market doesn't require there to be a club in the market, it only requires that people from that market spend money on the product. So even though the RFL doesn't have an Australian club, it does make money in Australia, so if the RFL is being held to the same standards that are being expected of the NRL in this case, then the RFL would owe the NRL a percentage of that money.

If you add in what has been subtly suggested earlier: that extra should be given for all the players that from NZ in the NRL, then the RFL would owe the NRL a very big check.

I’m not the one confused..........my point was quite clear and my view is unequivocal from this

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

I’m not the one confused..........my point was quite clear and my view is unequivocal from this

No you are definitely confused, and talking about stuff you don't know anything about, because you didn't know that the Warriors are already getting subsidised by the NRL just like the RFL is subsidising Catalans, and since you didn't know about that, and assumed it wasn't happening, your unequivocal view is built on ignorance.

You also obviously only read the first line of my post as well. . .  But it doesn't matter anyway because you have a bad case of confirmation bias, and as such you are only interested in things that support your view that the NRL is a terrible organisation that is solely responsible for all the failures of the sport. So even if you did read it you'd ignore what it said, as you'll never consider a point where the NRL isn't either in the wrong or at fault.

Good article. The argument about 'less is more' with NRL reducing to play 22 rounds plus SOO and Internaitional Football has got to be the way forward for SL.  29 plus CC and Play Off's is ridiculous in such a high intensity collision sport. The season should start in March giving ample time in the off season for recovery and skills preparation. How can SL clubs and administators sanction starting in late January?? Get rid of loop fixtures and create the space for a full pre-season and international football.

If marketed correctly 'less is more' is a valuable tactic because in SL ' More is definitely Less'!

On 02/12/2019 at 16:54, The Great Dane said:

No you are definitely confused, and talking about stuff you don't know anything about, because you didn't know that the Warriors are already getting subsidised by the NRL just like the RFL is subsidising Catalans, and since you didn't know about that, and assumed it wasn't happening, your unequivocal view is built on ignorance.

You also obviously only read the first line of my post as well. . .  But it doesn't matter anyway because you have a bad case of confirmation bias, and as such you are only interested in things that support your view that the NRL is a terrible organisation that is solely responsible for all the failures of the sport. So even if you did read it you'd ignore what it said, as you'll never consider a point where the NRL isn't either in the wrong or at fault.

And breathe, count to 10 and have a little lie down. 

I have a fairly neutral view of NRL, they do some things well and others less well. 

Now back to your confused state of mind. Can you provide the following for clarity:

• amount of money Sky pay in NZ for tv rights

• amount of money that Fox and 9 pay extra for having a NZ team in the comp 

• Value of any sponsorship deals directly or indirectly due to having a NZ team in the comp

Much obliged.

DD

On 05/12/2019 at 20:05, DoubleD said:

And breathe, count to 10 and have a little lie down. 

I have a fairly neutral view of NRL, they do some things well and others less well. 

Now back to your confused state of mind. Can you provide the following for clarity:

• amount of money Sky pay in NZ for tv rights

• amount of money that Fox and 9 pay extra for having a NZ team in the comp 

• Value of any sponsorship deals directly or indirectly due to having a NZ team in the comp

Much obliged.

DD

- The NZ NRL TV rights deal from 2018 -2022 is estimated at 18 million NZ dollars per.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/sky_nz_extends_rugby_league_deals

- NRL has sponsorship deals from all sources worth $26 million Australian dollars per year. Working out a % of that sponsorship revenue that is generated as a result of the NZ involvement in the NRL is difficult. Operating in NZ gives the NRL a reach into market with 5 million people and some NZ companies have sponsorship deals with the NRL.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/15/nrl-declares-money-will-flow-back-to-clubs-grassroots-after-posting-huge-surplus/

- there are also other revenue streams the NRL generates from NZ such as NRL merchandise sales, NZ NRL Radio rights, Event fees such as the amount NZ company DUCO Events paid NRL to stage the NRL 9's in Auckland. 

I estimate the NRL would be generating around $20 million AUD per year from NZ in NZ TV rights, NZ sponsorship earnings, NZ Merchandise sales, NZ Radio rights. The NRL club grant to the NZ Warriors is AUD is $12.5 million per year. An estimated $7.5 million AUD profit per year and the NRL has been making a yearly profit in the millions from NZ for the last 25 years.

To the best of my knowledge the NZ warriors players and staff are the only NRL employees based in NZ. The NRL currently does not grant any funds to the local grassroots game in NZ. NRL does not directly contribute towards any NZ charitable causes that assist the wider community. The NRL does not operate any ongoing programs in NZ to assist the grassroots of the game in NZ. NRL should start giving something back to NZ as this is responsible and sustainable business practice, creates a win - win situation and ensures goodwill continues. NRL could set up a NZ charitable trust and partner with who they like NZRL/Regional leagues/Schools/Clubs to assist and deliver Coaching, refereeing, administration, recruitment and development of juniors. I am 100% this would be greatly appreciated in New Zealand.

22 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

- NRL has sponsorship deals from all sources worth $26 million Australian dollars per year. Working out a % of that sponsorship revenue that is generated as a result of the NZ involvement in the NRL is difficult. Operating in NZ gives the NRL a reach into market with 5 million people and some NZ companies have sponsorship deals with the NRL.

None of the NRL's major sponsorship partners are NZ based businesses, they are all Australian businesses or the Australian arm of a big multinational. 

Many of those businesses have operations in NZ, or NZ arms, and maybe some of them see the NRL's involvement in NZ as a bonus, but none of them are sponsoring the NRL because of it's access to the NZ market.

I estimate the NRL would be generating around $20 million AUD per year from NZ in NZ TV rights, NZ sponsorship earnings, NZ Merchandise sales, NZ Radio rights. The NRL club grant to the NZ Warriors is AUD is $12.5 million per year. An estimated $7.5 million AUD profit per year and the NRL has been making a yearly profit in the millions from NZ for the last 25 years.

You've pulled that number out of your ######.

For a start you are ignoring all the costs that the NRL would incur in NZ, but more importantly, unless the NRL is recognised as a not for profit in NZ (which maybe they are IDK) you're also totally ignoring taxes. 

So for all we know the actual amount of money that the NRL makes in NZ each year could anything.

You are also assuming that the Australian RL organisations have made a profit in NZ for the whole time that the Warriors have been in the competition, which definitely isn't the case. But even if we assume that it is the case, most years the profit wouldn't be anywhere the sum that the NRL has made in the last few years.

The NRL currently does not grant any funds to the local grassroots game in NZ.

Because they can't because they don't come under their jurisdiction.

NRL does not directly contribute towards any NZ charitable causes that assist the wider community.

They have in the past and probably still do, in fact I'd be shocked if they didn't, and I gave you a link to where you can contact them to find out more.

So the only reason that you don't know about it is because you refuse to find out about it.

On 07/12/2019 at 01:43, kiwis 13 6 said:

- The NZ NRL TV rights deal from 2018 -2022 is estimated at 18 million NZ dollars per.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/sky_nz_extends_rugby_league_deals

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/15/nrl-declares-money-will-flow-back-to-clubs-grassroots-after-posting-huge-surplus/

- there are also other revenue streams the NRL generates from NZ such as NRL merchandise sales, NZ NRL Radio rights, Event fees such as the amount NZ company DUCO Events paid NRL to stage the NRL 9's in Auckland. 

To the best of my knowledge the NZ warriors players and staff are the only NRL employees based in NZ. The NRL currently does not grant any funds to the local grassroots game in NZ. NRL does not directly contribute towards any NZ charitable causes that assist the wider community. The NRL does not operate any ongoing programs in NZ to assist the grassroots of the game in NZ. NRL should start giving something back to NZ as this is responsible and sustainable business practice, creates a win - win situation and ensures goodwill continues. NRL could set up a NZ charitable trust and partner with who they like NZRL/Regional leagues/Schools/Clubs to assist and deliver Coaching, refereeing, administration, recruitment and development of juniors. I am 100% this would be greatly appreciated in New Zealand.

the NZRL are a shambles.  the warriors have been a massive disappointment in the nrl.  they cant put together 80 minutes of football to save themselves.

the fact the ARL had the vision in 1995 to bring auckland in is why they make those tv rights.  and its not as if the NZRL can come under the control of the ARLC so your whole argument is nonsense.

if it wasnt for the ARL league would be semi pro in new zealand, it would be crushed by rugby union.

the best thing for rugby league in new zealand is for the warriors to have some sustained success in the nrl.

they have been a rabble for a long, long time

On 12/12/2019 at 01:30, aj1908 said:

the NZRL are a shambles.  the warriors have been a massive disappointment in the nrl.  they cant put together 80 minutes of football to save themselves.

the fact the ARL had the vision in 1995 to bring auckland in is why they make those tv rights.  and its not as if the NZRL can come under the control of the ARLC so your whole argument is nonsense.

if it wasnt for the ARL league would be semi pro in new zealand, it would be crushed by rugby union.

the best thing for rugby league in new zealand is for the warriors to have some sustained success in the nrl.

they have been a rabble for a long, long time

NZRL were a shambles from late 90's Super League era tru to 2009 when NZ government stepped in and conducted a review and that lead to a restructure and appointment of JIm Doyle as CEO in 2009. Since then NZRL has been gradually improving and there still room for improvement. NZRL has a turnover of around 10 million NZ dollars per year sourced from government sports grants, charitable trust grants, Corporate Sponsorship and earnings from Test matches. They run the NZ Kiwis mens, womens, Jr kiwis, NZ Schoolboys and NZ Residents National representative sides. They organise Yearly National tournaments for  NZRL Premiership and Championships, Secondary Schools, Women, NZ youth rep Zone tournament for U15 & U17 age levels. They provide administration governance and coaching and reffing clinics in several locations throughout the country each year. Rugby League in NZ is participated by a demographic that earns considerably less than the New Zealand average yearly income and NZRL have to compete with more popular sports for Government funding, Corporate funding is very hard to obtain as the sport dosnt reach the wealthier demographic many Corporates companies are seeking . Even still after delivering all these things each year NZRL makes a modest profit most years. 

Union has been trying to crush Rugby League in NZ since 1907 so theres nothing new about that but there always been strong loyal niche following of people in NZ that are passionate about Rugby League! Outside of Auckland club comp and NZ Warriors set up League is now an amateur game in the rest of NZ and still survives.

30 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

NZRL were a shambles from late 90's Super League era tru to 2009 when NZ government stepped in and conducted a review and that lead to a restructure and appointment of JIm Doyle as CEO in 2009. Since then NZRL has been gradually improving and there still room for improvement. NZRL has a turnover of around 10 million NZ dollars per year sourced from government sports grants, charitable trust grants, Corporate Sponsorship and earnings from Test matches. They run the NZ Kiwis mens, womens, Jr kiwis, NZ Schoolboys and NZ Residents National representative sides. They organise Yearly National tournaments for  NZRL Premiership and Championships, Secondary Schools, Women, NZ youth rep Zone tournament for U15 & U17 age levels. They provide administration governance and coaching and reffing clinics in several locations throughout the country each year. Rugby League in NZ is participated by a demographic that earns considerably less than the New Zealand average yearly income and NZRL have to compete with more popular sports for Government funding, Corporate funding is very hard to obtain as the sport dosnt reach the wealthier demographic many Corporates companies are seeking . Even still after delivering all these things each year NZRL makes a modest profit most years. 

Union has been trying to crush Rugby League in NZ since 1907 so theres nothing new about that but there always been strong loyal niche following of people in NZ that are passionate about Rugby League! Outside of Auckland club comp and NZ Warriors set up League is now an amateur game in the rest of NZ and still survives.

you know albert baskerville, that postal clerk who went on tour with the all golds and helped set up rugby league in australia

his intention was to go back home and set up rugby league clubs in new zealand

sadly he died after catching the flu playing a game for the all golds vs kangaroos (this is 1907/8)

ive always wondered if he had gone home new zealand would be the same as nsw and queensland

if it wasnt for the nz all golds rugby league probably wouldnt have taken off in australia.  george smith and baskerville are as much the founders of australian rugby league as the australians involved.

and how good internationals would be being the cream of rugby footballers in both countries

the nrl should do more for nz.  a second team would be great.  with club union struggling and nrl wages so high now it would give league a huge boost.

when the warriors were doing well it was so exciting.  i dont like kearney so i cant see them doing much but who knows

On 08/12/2019 at 02:04, The Great Dane said:

I've got no problem with Kiwi's.

I do however have a problem with people who feel entitled to something that isn't theirs.  

Can you not see the irony of what you are saying when the NRL has been treating New Zealand sourced profit like it will simply continue forever with out them having to do anything different. The NRL admin in Sydney has totally missed fact the sentiment and attitude in NZ towards the NRL changed in NZ last season. Shane Richardson is Australian he said needs to be ongoing reinvestment of a % of NZ Sourced NRL profit back into the local game in NZ I agree with his proposal and your calling me entitled talk about the pot calling the kettle silver 

11 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Can you not see the irony of what you are saying when the NRL has been treating New Zealand sourced profit like it will simply continue forever with out them having to do anything different.

The NRL is a business, a business that has spent the last 25 years developing it's business in the NZ market, what they do with the money that they make from their labour in NZ is nobody's business except their's and the NZ governments.

Whether you like it or not you (i.e. the NZRL) aren't entitled to a cut of that money simply because they are making money in your country.

22 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

The NRL admin in Sydney has totally missed fact the sentiment and attitude in NZ towards the NRL changed in NZ last season.

Go on tell me about these changing sentiments.

I bet your anecdotes are totally representative of the population of NZ.

27 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Shane Richardson is Australian he said

Who cares what Shane Richardson thinks!

28 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

he said needs to be ongoing reinvestment of a % of NZ Sourced NRL profit back into the local game in NZ I agree with his proposal and your calling me entitled talk about the pot calling the kettle silver 

You are demanding that the NZRL be given a cut of money that they played no part in the labour of earning simply because of the fact that the money was made in NZ and they are Kiwis. . . Believing that you have an inherent right to something that you haven't earned is pretty much the definition of entitlement! 

Lets say you get what you want and the NZRL gets an annual grant from the NRL no questions asked, what precedent do you think that will set?  

What do think the leagues from other countries that the NRL operates in are going to do if they see the NZRL getting a cut of all the profit made in NZ?

What do you think the NRL is going to do when they see every major governing body of RL in the pacific and maybe even further abroad come cap in hand demanding millions of dollars a year to be payed off to go away?

What impact do you think that is going to have on not only the NRL it's self but everybody under the ARLC's umbrella, including the Warriors?

6 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

New Zealand rugby league never really seems to be quite able to fulfill its obvious potential. Lack of resources is the most clear reason why. The NRL could help with this, and should. $10 million a year isn't really that much to the NRL, but imagine what that could do for the NZRL.

They'd waste it 

They need to be under the control of the arlc and be accountable for any money like the Australian states are 

20 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

New Zealand rugby league never really seems to be quite able to fulfill its obvious potential. Lack of resources is the most clear reason why. The NRL could help with this, and should. $10 million a year isn't really that much to the NRL, but imagine what that could do for the NZRL.

$10mil is just under a third of what the NRL spends on grants to the state leagues in Australia.

There're 5 million people in NZ, so if the NRL gave NZ a yearly grant of $10mil that'd almost certainly make NZ the region that the NRL gives the largest funding per capita (except maybe Queensland). So the region that the governing body of RL in Australia would be investing the most money into per head wouldn't even be in Australia, not only that but they would be just handing that money to a separate organisation that they have no institutional control over, who could then spend the money as they wish.

Knowing the NZRL, what little of the money actually made it to the grassroots wouldn't be invested evenly across the country anyway. So it wouldn't really be $10 mil for 5 million heads, it'd be $10 million for Auckland and a handful of other places on the north island, while the rest of the county continues to fight a losing battle all by themselves. 

Meanwhile back in Australia, only half the country is exposed to RL on a regular basis, and outside of Sydney, parts of northern NSW, and Queensland, the sport is barely hanging on because of a lack of resources to compete with the AFL who are pumping ludicrous amounts of money into the eastern state, and often with the support of local governments backing them up.

But sure, the Australian governing body of RL should continue to totally ignore all of the problems back home to prop up the NZRL without any hope of a return on their investment, why not I guess.

BTW, $10 mil a year is still a lot of money to the NRL, especially when considering that they normally make a loss or only a small profit.

1 hour ago, The Great Dane said:

$10mil is just under a third of what the NRL spends on grants to the state leagues in Australia.

There're 5 million people in NZ, so if the NRL gave NZ a yearly grant of $10mil that'd almost certainly make NZ the region that the NRL gives the largest funding per capita (except maybe Queensland). So the region that the governing body of RL in Australia would be investing the most money into per head wouldn't even be in Australia, not only that but they would be just handing that money to a separate organisation that they have no institutional control over, who could then spend the money as they wish.

Knowing the NZRL, what little of the money actually made it to the grassroots wouldn't be invested evenly across the country anyway. So it wouldn't really be $10 mil for 5 million heads, it'd be $10 million for Auckland and a handful of other places on the north island, while the rest of the county continues to fight a losing battle all by themselves. 

Meanwhile back in Australia, only half the country is exposed to RL on a regular basis, and outside of Sydney, parts of northern NSW, and Queensland, the sport is barely hanging on because of a lack of resources to compete with the AFL who are pumping ludicrous amounts of money into the eastern state, and often with the support of local governments backing them up.

But sure, the Australian governing body of RL should continue to totally ignore all of the problems back home to prop up the NZRL without any hope of a return on their investment, why not I guess.

BTW, $10 mil a year is still a lot of money to the NRL, especially when considering that they normally make a loss or only a small profit.

apparently the ARLC have 100 million in the bank now.  and they do seem to have a lot of money to throw around too.

i think the last two result were very healthy profits ?

Archived