First wage packet

On 15/11/2019 at 00:04, Bleep1673 said:

Sundays were a pain. Especially one delivery was only just broad enough for a Sun, but on a Sunday he had a Sunday Times with all the additions, and he never tipped at Christmas

I only did sundays and living in a rural place a couple of the places were big farms that took everything - one was Sunday Times/Observer/Harpers&Queen/Horse&Hound and Tatler, but i didnt mind them as even though i only got £3 the £5 total each week at Xmas they had left out a mince pie, mug of hot mulled wine and a £5 note tip - as a 14 year old the Mulled Wine was the clincher

52 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

I was 16 years old and started at Wakefield MDC the Monday after I left school which was no mean feat in 1980 with high unemployment.

My first monthly payslip showed I earned £164 at around £1.20 an hour.

I went out and bought a red, yellow and blue hooped polo top, some bright red jeans and red shoes with white piping and went out drinking around Cas.  I felt like a fashion guru until back at work on Monday a female colleague came over and said she had seen me in a pub and that I ‘looked like an explosion at a Dulux factory’.

I take it you never married her then.

On 13/11/2019 at 13:26, Saint Toppy said:

Not cut out for the tough world of construction then Bleep ?

I started work at 16 laboring on building sites as a summer job for £30 a week, one of the most enjoyable times I've ever had. You needed a thick skin as the banter was what most people would call extreme but it certainly toughens you up for the real world. The pranks that were played on people were like nothing you'll experience anywhere else, particularly if you were one of the professional trades like plumbers or electricians. Plumbers knew that if they didn't complete the installation of any new toilets in 1 day then by the time they got in the next morning they would fine their shiny new toilet 'full' and would then have to clean it out by hand before installing it. Similar for electricians, if they didn't manage to run all their 1st fix cabling in 1 day or if they left their plans lying around showing the cabling routes then the labourers would lift up the floor boards to go to the toilet, carefully relaying the boards and then sit back and laugh as the electricians then had to thread their cabling under the floor the next day through their mess.

And woe be tide if you left any items of clothing lying around, boots & jackets were regularly glued or nailed to the floor or wall.

I worked a couple of summers for Eddie Cunninghams building firm alongside former players like Tommy Cunningham and Roy Haggerty (Haggy was still paying for Saints at that time in the late 80's). One of my best memories was playing (supposedly tag) rugby at lunchtime with them using a house brick as a ball. Even tag rugby for Haggy involved taking your head off or trying to break your ribs with the brick with a hard pass

Oh the days !!!

I've never worked in that environment.But I can't understand the enjoyment gained by making your co-workers clean up s77t.

Maybe it is just me.

54 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

I've never worked in that environment.But I can't understand the enjoyment gained by making your co-workers clean up s77t.

Maybe it is just me.

I heard a story of a rugby tour where as they left the club there was the delivery for the new toilets/changing room fit out sat outside. A bog was given to the tour virgin who was told he had to protect it all tour - this was fine until the last night after all games played when he had it in his tent, got bladdered and used it for a s77t and to throw up in. He had to clean it up hungover to return to the club (his tent went in the bin)

On 11/11/2019 at 23:59, Bleep1673 said:

I will guarantee that most people will remember their amount in their first wage packet,

Indeed!

Mine was £44.45 (weekly) working at a local chemical factory, Allied Colloids, in 1982.

I loved that job.

I wrote a thing about it last year when they bulldozed some of the old lab buildings on the site.
https://johndrake.co.uk/no-bulldozing-my-memories-of-allied-colloids

When I was 15 I got a holiday job as a builder's labourer. I was assisting a lad a year older than  me who was an apprentice plasterer. He could do everything and I had to be taught everything. I earned a bit more than him because labourers were paid more than apprentices.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I can't remember my first pay packet, it was over 50 years ago. I can remember my first annual salary when I started teaching in 1977. It was £3333pa.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

1967. Stacking shelves in a supermarket for eight hours a week while still at school. Paid £1, less 6d stamp.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left