Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Oliver Clothesoff

You can tell it’s the off-season...

Recommended Posts

Read the following this morning while eating my breakfast at work before the majority come in, made me laugh at how daft it was and it instantly made me think of the daft ideas on this place and with it being the off-season, we’re bound to see hundreds of these between now and the start of the season in January. 
 

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/mailbox-adopting-a-conference-system/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Read the following this morning while eating my breakfast at work before the majority come in, made me laugh at how daft it was and it instantly made me think of the daft ideas on this place and with it being the off-season, we’re bound to see hundreds of these between now and the start of the season in January. 
 

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/mailbox-adopting-a-conference-system/

The most random thing of all in that piece must be the inclusion of Whitley Bay Barbarians in the Eastern Conference. Whitley Bay don't even run mens open age team at the moment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, NERugbyDad said:

The most random thing of all in that piece must be the inclusion of Whitley Bay Barbarians in the Eastern Conference. Whitley Bay don't even run mens open age team at the moment!

Brilliant. Makes it even funnier. He’s definitely got to seven, realised he’s not got enough sides to go around and just plumped for one he’s heard of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doncaster get included despite being third tier...London is considered to be overseas.

Some people have far too much time on their hands. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like I’ve got no rugby to watch , we’ve been kicked out 😢. If this bloke has any more free time he should rule out thinking and rearrange his sock draw or straighten his pens 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's strange how people think a conference system is some kind of suepr solution in itself rather than what it actually is, a means to and end.

Saying that. We should have a conference system now. You play your own  conference twice, the other three times plus magic and we have exactly the same fixture list as now but have scrapped loop games.

Then top 3 in each play off. 2nd v 3rd winner v 1st, then grand final. 

Removes loop fixtures, clarifies why some are played 3 times, limits the number of times teams can play against each other, ups the semi final to a conference final, gives us control over things like derbies, removes the concerns around travel, makes it easier to plan in torontos fixtures and allows us to grow as and when necessary and doesnt really make much difference to the fixtures list.

If we are absolutely desperate to keep relegation have a play off between the bottom two, have it only apply to one conference, or accept reality and just scrap it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's after a job with the GB/England management 'old pals club' looks like he's over qualified though 🤡🤡🤡🤡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

It's strange how people think a conference system is some kind of suepr solution in itself rather than what it actually is, a means to and end.

Saying that. We should have a conference system now. You play your own  conference twice, the other three times plus magic and we have exactly the same fixture list as now but have scrapped loop games.

Then top 3 in each play off. 2nd v 3rd winner v 1st, then grand final. 

Removes loop fixtures, clarifies why some are played 3 times, limits the number of times teams can play against each other, ups the semi final to a conference final, gives us control over things like derbies, removes the concerns around travel, makes it easier to plan in torontos fixtures and allows us to grow as and when necessary and doesnt really make much difference to the fixtures list.

If we are absolutely desperate to keep relegation have a play off between the bottom two, have it only apply to one conference, or accept reality and just scrap it

 

So replace loop fixtures with loop fixtures? Do I have that right? As in two conferences and you play one set of teams three times? Isn’t that exactly what we do now?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Brilliant. Makes it even funnier. He’s definitely got to seven, realised he’s not got enough sides to go around and just plumped for one he’s heard of. 

He should definitly have plumped for Gateshead Storm which would have insured we got a Thunder Storm derby 😜

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NERugbyDad said:

He should definitly have plumped for Gateshead Storm which would have insured we got a Thunder Storm derby 😜

And we’ve already got the eagles v the eagles in there . I think this was thought up - and I use the word thought quite wrongly - in a fag break at work on the back of an envelope 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DavidM said:

And we’ve already got the eagles v the eagles in there . I think this was thought up - and I use the word thought quite wrongly - in a fag break at work on the back of an envelope 

Ok then, instead of Whitley Bay we could plump for Wallsend Eagles and we would have the makings of an Eagles conference, would just need to get the other 5 teams to change their names, although that could get confusing in Hull.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NERugbyDad said:

Ok then, instead of Whitley Bay we could plump for Wallsend Eagles and we would have the makings of an Eagles conference, would just need to get the other 5 teams to change their names, although that could get confusing in Hull.

Now that all makes much more sense than the original idea !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

So replace loop fixtures with loop fixtures? Do I have that right? As in two conferences and you play one set of teams three times? Isn’t that exactly what we do now?

They arent loop fixtures. Loop fixtures unbalanced the table. Everyone in each conference plays the same teams the same amount of times and your table is only those sides. 

These would be inter-conference fixtures. 

The fixtures would largely stay the same but the effect of them and how they were presented would be fairer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

They arent loop fixtures. Loop fixtures unbalanced the table. Everyone in each conference plays the same teams the same amount of times and your table is only those sides. 

These would be inter-conference fixtures. 

The fixtures would largely stay the same but the effect of them and how they were presented would be fairer.

Friendlies then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

They arent loop fixtures. Loop fixtures unbalanced the table. Everyone in each conference plays the same teams the same amount of times and your table is only those sides. 

These would be inter-conference fixtures. 

The fixtures would largely stay the same but the effect of them and how they were presented would be fairer.

Unless I’ve misunderstood, you said you play some teams twice and others three times, but “they’re not loop fixtures”. 

Currently, we have a system where you play some teams twice and others three times and they’re loop fixtures. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Unless I’ve misunderstood, you said you play some teams twice and others three times, but “they’re not loop fixtures”. 

Currently, we have a system where you play some teams twice and others three times and they’re loop fixtures. 

 

No. One would be loop fixtures one would be inter-conference fixtures. The differences between the two are listed in the original post I made. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

No. One would be loop fixtures one would be inter-conference fixtures. The differences between the two are listed in the original post I made. 

So, you’re painting three games against some teams and two games against others as “inter-conference fixtures”. As someone so vociferous about their dislike for loop fixtures, I have to think you’re acting as a parody if you can’t see the difference between loop fixtures and what you’re proposing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

So, you’re painting three games against some teams and two games against others as “inter-conference fixtures”. As someone so vociferous about their dislike for loop fixtures, I have to think you’re acting as a parody if you can’t see the difference between loop fixtures and what you’re proposing. 

You are just making things up because you dont really have an argument against what I said.

I'm not particularly against loop fixture, they are much a do about nothing and we never heard the term until it suited some championship chairmen to pretend it was a massive issue. 

Also, I can see the difference, I'm saying theres a difference. It's you who is pretending you cant see the difference. You haven't even been able to remember which side of the argument you are on.

Edited by scotchy1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

You are just making things up because you dont really have an argument against what I said.

I'm not particularly against loop fixture, they are much a do about nothing and we never heard the term until it suited some championship chairmen to pretend it was a massive issue. 

I’ve made nothing up. You’ve said you’re not a fan of loop fixtures and you’re proposing loop fixtures here. It was, and still is, comical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’ve made nothing up. You’ve said you’re not a fan of loop fixtures and you’re proposing loop fixtures here. It was, and still is, comical. 

No I haven't. 

I simply proposed something better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...