You can tell it’s the off-season...

Read the following this morning while eating my breakfast at work before the majority come in, made me laugh at how daft it was and it instantly made me think of the daft ideas on this place and with it being the off-season, we’re bound to see hundreds of these between now and the start of the season in January. 

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/mailbox-adopting-a-conference-system/

7 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Read the following this morning while eating my breakfast at work before the majority come in, made me laugh at how daft it was and it instantly made me think of the daft ideas on this place and with it being the off-season, we’re bound to see hundreds of these between now and the start of the season in January. 

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/mailbox-adopting-a-conference-system/

The most random thing of all in that piece must be the inclusion of Whitley Bay Barbarians in the Eastern Conference. Whitley Bay don't even run mens open age team at the moment!

41 minutes ago, NERugbyDad said:

The most random thing of all in that piece must be the inclusion of Whitley Bay Barbarians in the Eastern Conference. Whitley Bay don't even run mens open age team at the moment!

Brilliant. Makes it even funnier. He’s definitely got to seven, realised he’s not got enough sides to go around and just plumped for one he’s heard of. 

7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

It's strange how people think a conference system is some kind of suepr solution in itself rather than what it actually is, a means to and end.

Saying that. We should have a conference system now. You play your own  conference twice, the other three times plus magic and we have exactly the same fixture list as now but have scrapped loop games.

Then top 3 in each play off. 2nd v 3rd winner v 1st, then grand final. 

Removes loop fixtures, clarifies why some are played 3 times, limits the number of times teams can play against each other, ups the semi final to a conference final, gives us control over things like derbies, removes the concerns around travel, makes it easier to plan in torontos fixtures and allows us to grow as and when necessary and doesnt really make much difference to the fixtures list.

If we are absolutely desperate to keep relegation have a play off between the bottom two, have it only apply to one conference, or accept reality and just scrap it

So replace loop fixtures with loop fixtures? Do I have that right? As in two conferences and you play one set of teams three times? Isn’t that exactly what we do now?

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Brilliant. Makes it even funnier. He’s definitely got to seven, realised he’s not got enough sides to go around and just plumped for one he’s heard of. 

He should definitly have plumped for Gateshead Storm which would have insured we got a Thunder Storm derby ?

1 minute ago, NERugbyDad said:

He should definitly have plumped for Gateshead Storm which would have insured we got a Thunder Storm derby ?

And we’ve already got the eagles v the eagles in there . I think this was thought up - and I use the word thought quite wrongly - in a fag break at work on the back of an envelope 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

And we’ve already got the eagles v the eagles in there . I think this was thought up - and I use the word thought quite wrongly - in a fag break at work on the back of an envelope 

Ok then, instead of Whitley Bay we could plump for Wallsend Eagles and we would have the makings of an Eagles conference, would just need to get the other 5 teams to change their names, although that could get confusing in Hull.

3 minutes ago, NERugbyDad said:

Ok then, instead of Whitley Bay we could plump for Wallsend Eagles and we would have the makings of an Eagles conference, would just need to get the other 5 teams to change their names, although that could get confusing in Hull.

Now that all makes much more sense than the original idea !

They arent loop fixtures. Loop fixtures unbalanced the table. Everyone in each conference plays the same teams the same amount of times and your table is only those sides. 

These would be inter-conference fixtures. 

The fixtures would largely stay the same but the effect of them and how they were presented would be fairer.

Friendlies then?

11 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

They arent loop fixtures. Loop fixtures unbalanced the table. Everyone in each conference plays the same teams the same amount of times and your table is only those sides. 

These would be inter-conference fixtures. 

The fixtures would largely stay the same but the effect of them and how they were presented would be fairer.

Unless I’ve misunderstood, you said you play some teams twice and others three times, but “they’re not loop fixtures”. 

Currently, we have a system where you play some teams twice and others three times and they’re loop fixtures. 

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

No. One would be loop fixtures one would be inter-conference fixtures. The differences between the two are listed in the original post I made. 

So, you’re painting three games against some teams and two games against others as “inter-conference fixtures”. As someone so vociferous about their dislike for loop fixtures, I have to think you’re acting as a parody if you can’t see the difference between loop fixtures and what you’re proposing. 

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

You are just making things up because you dont really have an argument against what I said.

I'm not particularly against loop fixture, they are much a do about nothing and we never heard the term until it suited some championship chairmen to pretend it was a massive issue. 

I’ve made nothing up. You’ve said you’re not a fan of loop fixtures and you’re proposing loop fixtures here. It was, and still is, comical. 

Your conference table points.

The differences this would make were listed earlier.

You said, which I presumed meant teams from your own conference:

Everyone in each conference plays the same teams the same amount of times and your table is only those sides. 

5x5’s made up of the current Championship and League One sides. You can base it off geography or as close as you can get geographically if you want or use a historical chart to split teams into five similar standard pots and then draw a team from each to make up a conference.

28 games made up of 2 vs the four sides in your conference (8) and then you play the remaining twenty sides from other conferences once (20), with fixtures alternating each year (e.g if in “Year One” you play Widnes Away, in “Year Two” you play them at home). 

Top five play-off system with the winners of each conference competing before a Grand Final between the top two. 

One conference is going to have a LOT more travel than the other. Hardly fair. You would have to find a way to balance that out.

That is the worst idea I have ever seen, by a long way. It’s so parochial including teams from small tin pot towns like Wigan and St Helens that nobody from outside of Lancashire have heard of, and the less said about the likes of Doncaster and Batley being included the better. 

What we need is one British conference with London, Leeds, Manchester, Cardiff, Birmingham, Liverpool, Sheffield, Glasgow and Edinburgh in, then three international conferences - one Europe, one North America and one Asia. 

56 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s the same in NFL though, teams will just have to suck it up. 

Difference is ALL NFL (and NBA/NHL teams) have similar travel schedules and even then west coast teams travel twice as far as east coast ones (for a few years the Toronto Maple Leafs were a Western Conference team with all the extra travel).

In this proposal the members of one conference would be jetting back and forth over the Atlantic while other conference teams bus up and down the M62 and while as onerous as that might be they are hardly the same.

Archived