Toronto away games

Tonka

Has anyone worked out a cost and time effective way to do this?  I'm looking at:

Flights (Manchester) - £600+ (indirect flight or flights from London £400 but the time and cost of getting to London or stopovers cancels the benefit out.  Accommodation - I'm 40 and I'm not skint so reckon £100 - £150 a night for a hotel = £300.  Food, drink, match ticket - its at least 10 meals, I imagine a night out and a match ticket - say £200 - 300.  Then other stuff I've forgotten about budget say £100.

Total = £1,350.

A lot for one person for one match.  And a lot of travel over three/four days.

But I'd bloody love to do it. 

6 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Has anyone worked out a cost and time effective way to do this?  I'm looking at:

Flights (Manchester) - £600+ (indirect flight or flights from London £400 but the time and cost of getting to London or stopovers cancels the benefit out.  Accommodation - I'm 40 and I'm not skint so reckon £100 - £150 a night for a hotel = £300.  Food, drink, match ticket - its at least 10 meals, I imagine a night out and a match ticket - say £200 - 300.  Then other stuff I've forgotten about budget say £100.

Total = £1,350.

i'd suggest not "eating out" for every meal... depending on your accommodation, you may well have breakfast but equally I am sure there will be a supermarket near by.. would shave off a chunk of lunch money and possibly breakfast if nothing else.

23 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Total = £1,350.

I’d say it’s probably worth travelling to London for a direct flight and a £200 saving.

If you can go for longer than 3/4 days it’s worth it. There is quite a lot to do in Toronto itself and Niagara Falls isn’t too far for a day trip.

I’d like to make a big holiday out of it and tie it in with visiting a few places in Canada or New York as well.

Just now, North but south said:

Last year they were offering deals that included flights from regional airport, tickets, 3 nights downtown city centre hotel. From £654 - £1039, as part of the Air transat sponsorship deal. This years packages haven't been released yet.

That's looking nearer to the mark.  I'll keep an eye out for those.

On flying from London, you still need to get train tickets there and back which should eat up at least £100 of the £200 saving even if off peak ones work and it adds 4 hours to the travel time each way so not worth it for me.

Looked at flights via NY - no difference in price.

I have spent time in Toronto before and thought about a longer trip but that blows the price up and means a long trip away from the family (its during term time for the kids).

RP - yes I'll bring packed lunches.

Would you be travelling alone? If not then why not consider Airbnb for an apartment share with a couple other travelling for the game? It'll be only 30 to 40 pounds per night. Even solo you can get places for £50. Being self-catering the food costs should be no different than what you'd be spending back in Blighty.

I've not had a bad experience with Airbnb. It's great.

5 hours ago, Tonka said:

Total = £1,350.

Saints have released packages,

Short 3 day ones from 600 and 10 day ones from 1400 which includes NY. 

Both included Niagara falls

Anyone coming over here and wanting to visit the USA be sure to have all the paperwork in order. They are a lot stricter than Canadians and the consequences can be dire.

And a visit to Niagara Falls usually includes a border crossing - Canada on the west, USA on the east.

5 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I’d say it’s probably worth travelling to London for a direct flight and a £200 saving.

If you can go for longer than 3/4 days it’s worth it. There is quite a lot to do in Toronto itself and Niagara Falls isn’t too far for a day trip.

I’d like to make a big holiday out of it and tie it in with visiting a few places in Canada or New York as well.

Have done two trips to Toronto now. From Newcastle, via Heathrow price around £650 ish. I stayed for 10 days both visits, first time stayed at the Hyatt in centre of town. Second time we took an AirBnB, as mentioned above. We hired a whole townhouse along Queen's Street West, very trendy, near to the ground and a tram ride into town. Hired a car for trips to Niagara etc, very cheap to car hire.

Go for it, we absolutely loved both times, it is a great city. Take in a Blue Jays game too, awesome.

19 minutes ago, distantdog said:

Second time we took an AirBnB, as mentioned above. We hired a whole townhouse along Queen's Street West, very trendy, near to the ground and a tram ride into town. Hired a car for trips to Niagara etc, very cheap to car hire.

Go for it, we absolutely loved both times, it is a great city. Take in a Blue Jays game too, awesome.

Pretty much what we did for our 7 nights there in 2018 for the Leigh game. We flew from Manchester with AirTransat and split a two-bedroom AirBnB between three of us on Queen St West (the neighbourhood seemed to be known as 'West Queen West'). Great for getting the streetcar downtown and surprisingly reasonable in a taxi. We did the walk just the once, thankfully the day before the 40 degree heatwave kicked in.

Didn't cook a single thing while we were there - standard breakfast of coffee and Timbits and either a light dinner and tea in a restaurant, or quite often we'd end up having quite a bit to eat mid-afternoon in a bar given the World Cup was ongoing. Aside from the Wolfpack game, we pre-booked a coach trip to Niagara, went to two Blue Jays games and one TFC game.

£440 each for the flights, £220 for the apartment and £750 spends for a total of £1,400. You could certainly do it much cheaper if you cut down on the boozing (last resort if you ask me!) and maybe had one or two cheaper options eating out - St Lawrence Market is the place to go on that front.

1 hour ago, distantdog said:

Have done two trips to Toronto now. From Newcastle, via Heathrow price around £650 ish. I stayed for 10 days both visits, first time stayed at the Hyatt in centre of town. Second time we took an AirBnB, as mentioned above. We hired a whole townhouse along Queen's Street West, very trendy, near to the ground and a tram ride into town. Hired a car for trips to Niagara etc, very cheap to car hire.

Yeah I’d go down that route but it’s during term time for the kids so I can’t really ###### off for a week, much as I’d like to (and we definitely can’t both do it!)

I have booked my hotel and flights to Toronto, I was hoping to catch an Ice Hockey game but the NHL finishes a few weeks before Wigan play in Toronto. When do you tickets come out for the games please? I can only find season tickets on the Toronto website.

You can likely get to London cheaper than that as well. There are a lot of flight deals and the stop in New York isn't a bad idea. There are really cheap flights from London to New York, particularly with Norwegian and the flights from New York to Toronto are cheap if you book early.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

24 minutes ago, Nate90 said:

I have booked my hotel and flights to Toronto, I was hoping to catch an Ice Hockey game but the NHL finishes a few weeks before Wigan play in Toronto. When do you tickets come out for the games please? I can only find season tickets on the Toronto website.

If the Maple Leafs are in the play-offs there could well be a home NHL game when Wigan are over there. Or you may well find a college / minor league game. We did a college game last time we were in Toronto and it was really good. Not expensive either.

22 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Isn't Niagara Falls hugely underwhelming?

Victoria Falls is the one worth going to (albeit it's in a different continent).

It's worth looking at Icelandair flights via Keflavik - usually good value and connection

I wouldn't describe the Canadian falls as underwhelming at all - and if you take the 'Maids of the Mist' boat ride that is pretty exhilarating.

The American falls do lack the 'wow' factor a tad though.  

35 minutes ago, Mr Boston said:

If the Maple Leafs are in the play-offs there could well be a home NHL game when Wigan are over there. Or you may well find a college / minor league game. We did a college game last time we were in Toronto and it was really good. Not expensive either.

I wouldn't describe the Canadian falls as underwhelming at all - and if you take the 'Maids of the Mist' boat ride that is pretty exhilarating.

The American falls do lack the 'wow' factor a tad though.  

We did the Maids of the Mist ride and it was amazing. 

Niagara itself is a bit of a dump though. Think Blackpool with less water. 

As it's only once a season I suggest you push the boat out and have a proper blast.

I travel a lot and I've learnt not to leave flying to the last minute, thinking you can cut accommodation costs. Especially, if you need a connecting flight as stuff does go #### up when you least expect it. (Think...Fetherstone fans via Iceland for the final). Make sure you have a days grace for the match at least in case of unforeseen cock-ups at airports. If you are going by the States make sure you have double checked visa stuff.

Did the trip in august through divine travel. Cost about £890 for 3 nights/ 4 days. Flew out about 8am on the Friday arriving dinner time their time. Flew back 11 pm their time on Monday night arriving back into Manchester approximately 8am. Price included bed only in downtown Sheraton hotel and match ticket. No food included or transfers. Train in airport for about a fiver takes you into centre of Toronto about a quarter of a mile from airport. Hope this helps

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Archived