bennett gone?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Bit confused. If they get extra weighting what does that mean 

They run more slowly...?

11 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Nope because they will get extra weighting with the IRL. Looks like Aus, Eng and NZ never imagined anyone else would cut it. 

Eh? I thought they had been given T1 status, and were now one of the four top seeds in the four WC groups?

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Bennett no good. Get rid. 

Oh, hang on, McNamara no good. Get rid. 

Oh hang on, turns out that none of the coaches over the last 30 or 40 or more years no good. 

Get rid of them all! 

England's last 3 coaches have been questionable in the end.

McNamara was the cheap option. He did better than expected, but we all knew he was poor tactically (look at his club record). NRL assistant at best.

Bennett was to prove we were wanting the best, but his selection policy has really let him down and stubbornness to move to a new plan when it's obvious it's not working mean he will never achieve anything with English players.

Tony Smith let himself down with his selection policy too, picking mainly Leeds and Saints players, such inevitably caused an "us and them" feeling in his camp. I reckon he'd have learned from it if he'd stuck about longer.

Brian Noble did the best for me. Last coach to beat the Aussies (home and away too).

David Waite was also a strange selector. 4 loose forwards in one XIII once, Karl Pratt on the wing despite being considered not good enough to keep on at his club, and Richard Horne on the wing despite never playing there! What is it with Aussies?!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

There lies the problem in my view. There are perfectly rational reasons behind the appointment, performance, the criticism and then departure of the coach. Looking back over the years, though, it seems we've had more unsuccessful GB/England coaches than Wigan Cup Final wins.  That's why I keep asserting that choice of coach is not the main problem. 

On balance I would support a new England coach for the Ashes series and the World Cup.

I thought Bennett did OK in his first three seasons.  The first season he worked with the senior members of the squad to build more belief in the team and the playing method and this was followed by a better than (I) expected World Cup run and a competitive performance in the final and a 3-1 year against the Kiwis. 

From a results perspective I think this was a good return even if we would have preferred a few different selections or felt the playing style was too conservative.  He picked a team and playing style which he thought could get the best result.

But this tour has been very poor.  The initial squad selection was unbalanced and the playing style (perhaps based on that) has also been poor.  The impression I get from this tour is that Bennett seems disengaged and not particularly bothered.  Win or lose you would expect the coach to show some passion.

We have some talent coming through the Super League.  Several of which could take part in the Ashes series next year and certainly the 2021 World Cup but I am not sure Bennett is the man to identify and bring that talent into the squad.

This is a huge two years coming up so make the change quickly and move on.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

There lies the problem in my view. There are perfectly rational reasons behind the appointment, performance, the criticism and then departure of the coach. Looking back over the years, though, it seems we've had more unsuccessful GB/England coaches than Wigan Cup Final wins.  That's why I keep asserting that choice of coach is not the main problem. 

We need to address all problems though John. We need to develop players. We need to get quality players playing in SL each week. We need to have a quality setup with quality coaching.

I dont think anybody is suggesting that sorting a coach will fix everything, but let's be honest, we should have been better, and losing these three tests in the style we did, even with the players selected shouldn't be accepted.

I disagree with you somewhat on the negativity around the national team coach, in the end they usually leave on negative terms - but that is normal. I'd say only McNamara attracted criticism from the off, which I think was unfair as he had us playing an attractive style.

But Tony Smith, Noble, and even Bennett were received positively, until ultimately we had a bad tournament and people call for their head.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If he thinks the best winger we have available is Blake Austin then he is either trolling us or past it.

If he had Makinson he would have used him, like last year.

Problem is, imho, it's authomatic that a top SL players performs against the top tier nations.

Bennett gets accused of not following SL enough though he's picked this year Man of Steel.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

8 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Problem is, imho, it's authomatic that a top SL players performs against the top tier nations.

Bennett gets accused of not following SL enough though he's picked this year Man of Steel.

If you feel his squad selection was good, great. I disagree.

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If you feel his squad selection was good, great. I disagree.

I think he's made mistakes.

But still, I think there is a huge huge huge gap between the current SL level and NRL/test football.

In 2015 (I know Bennett was not in), lots of people said England beat the Kiwis only because of the NZ absentees, and now we all forget the long list of English players unavailable for this tour.

Give WB Sam, George Burgess and Makinson and let's see who wins.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

8 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

I think he's made mistakes.

But still, I think there is a huge huge huge gap between the current SL level and NRL/test football.

In 2015 (I know Bennett was not in), lots of people said England beat the Kiwis only because of the NZ absentees, and now we all forget the long list of English players unavailable for this tour.

Give WB Sam, George Burgess and Makinson and let's see who wins.

Bennett had access to a lot of top players. It isnt just losing that was the issue. It was how we are losing.

Of course people only say we beat the Kiwis when they have injuries. But history has shown that we generally beat them in the UK and they beat us in NZ. The way we have performed has been woeful.

45 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Why do people keep bringing this up? Out of all the new players that could come into a GB / England squad, the man of steel isn't someone that needs to be looked into in great depth to be able ti know who he is / pick him.

He was voted the best player in our competition, it's the very least Bennet should be aware of.

The fact that he keeps picking Hodgson proves to me he has no idea. 

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Did Bennet pick the squad on his own or by recommendations from  his staff? as he probably doesn't watch much super league, 

I know the aussies have the belief of getting all the best players on the field even if it means playing out of position, they do like a stand off in the centres and full backs on the wing when it comes to the origin series, but surely he must have known he was short on outside backs 

Archived