Another new crest

DoubleD

18 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/sheffield-unveil-new-club-crest/

Seems all the rage at the moment. Think the crest looks better but I’d have rather seen the name Sheffield more prominent - it’s barely noticeable 

Its a good crest...not great, but good.

21 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/sheffield-unveil-new-club-crest/

Seems all the rage at the moment. Think the crest looks better but I’d have rather seen the name Sheffield more prominent - it’s barely noticeable 

That's the best opening line I've seen in a press release for a long time ? 

"Sheffield have revealed their new club crest that they will use from now on" 

11 hours ago, Scubby said:

That's the best opening line I've seen in a press release for a long time ? 

"Sheffield have revealed their new club crest that they will use from now on" 

Not great.

To be fair, that is the opening line from the Loverugbyleague website.

The first line on the Sheffield Eagles web site covering this is "Sheffield Eagles are proud to introduce today (Tuesday 12 November 2019) our brand-new club crest."

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

As stated on the other thread, it’s not well designed at all, inconsistent  line thickness on the shield, terrible typeface and a bad Eagle illustration.

And the beak's not yellow enough and the red's not true eagle red and the eagle looks too angry and there's no wings or a rugby ball and the longer you stare at the word "EAGLES" the less it looks like a real word

1 minute ago, Tonka said:

And the beak's not yellow enough and the red's not true eagle red and the eagle looks too angry and there's no wings or a rugby ball and the longer you stare at the word "EAGLES" the less it looks like a real word

Yeh that eagle does look angry ... It is smart and striking though 

8 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

A badly designed one at that ?

out of interest what is wrong with it.. for me it looks more like an Eagle than the West Coast Eagles one you posted on the other thread which could be any generic bird of prey.. this actually looks to me like an Eagles head... 

Surely the problem with the size of font is that with Sheffield being quite a long word and Eagles not being so long you would either have a ridiculously big logo or small lettering "Eagle".. 

have to say i quite like it, its more modern than the other one and although i liked the other one this seems better and cleaner (to my untrained eye).

7 minutes ago, RP London said:

out of interest what is wrong with it.. for me it looks more like an Eagle than the West Coast Eagles one you posted on the other thread which could be any generic bird of prey.. this actually looks to me like an Eagles head... 

Surely the problem with the size of font is that with Sheffield being quite a long word and Eagles not being so long you would either have a ridiculously big logo or small lettering "Eagle".. 

have to say i quite like it, its more modern than the other one and although i liked the other one this seems better and cleaner (to my untrained eye).

The West Coast Eagle is a far better illustration, it’s quite clearly an Eagle with the words West Coast Eagles below it.

Technically the Sheffield Crest is badly drawn, the shield outline is too thin and doesn’t match up with the holding device thickness for the wording leaving it looking unbalanced. The typeface is awful and looks like its come from ‘dafont’ which is a free font site renowned for badly drawn typefaces and the Kerning and Tracking is poor.

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

The West Coast Eagle is a far better illustration, it’s quite clearly an Eagle with the words West Coast Eagles below it.

Technically the Sheffield Crest is badly drawn, the shield outline is too thin and doesn’t match up with the holding device thickness for the wording Leaving it looking unbalanced. The typface is awful and looks like its come from ‘dafont’ which is a free font site renowned for badly drawn typefaces and the Kerning and Tracking is poor.

i see the technicalities on type face that you talk about and understand where you are coming from.. i've had discussion with designers about this in the past with our logo and development etc.. however no 2 designers seem to agree if they did where would be the point of difference (the cynic in me)... 

however away from the "technical drawing" IMHO being keen on birds of prey etc.. this is quite obviously an eagle (bald or golden, take your pick).. the WCE one really doesn't shout "Eagle" it could be a falcon of any kind.. whether it is drawn perfectly or not I don't know well enough but the actual image of it IMHO is so much more Eagle 

1 minute ago, RP London said:

i see the technicalities on type face that you talk about and understand where you are coming from.. i've had discussion with designers about this in the past with our logo and development etc.. however no 2 designers seem to agree if they did where would be the point of difference (the cynic in me)... 

however away from the "technical drawing" IMHO being keen on birds of prey etc.. this is quite obviously an eagle (bald or golden, take your pick).. the WCE one really doesn't shout "Eagle" it could be a falcon of any kind.. whether it is drawn perfectly or not I don't know well enough but the actual image of it IMHO is so much more Eagle 

I was just pointing out that the West Coast Eagles ‘Eagle’ was a better illustration, FWIW the Sheffield one looks a bit like a Kestrel to me and no more eagle looking than the WCE.

As for different designers disagreeing on designs, yes that will of course happen as we all have different styles but the technical aspects of this logo are just poor and if those were sorted it would be a lot better

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

I was just pointing out that the West Coast Eagles ‘Eagle’ was a better illustration, FWIW the Sheffield one looks a bit like a Kestrel to me and no more eagle looking than the WCE.

As for different designers disagreeing on designs, yes that will of course happen as we all have different styles but the technical aspects of this logo are just poor and if those were sorted it would be a lot better

ah sorry I didnt realise you meant the technical drawing on the WCE compared to the Sheffield Eagle.. fair enough cant really comment on that... 

with relation the sheffield eagle there is a certain amount where the colours help sway you as well as it is the colours of a bald eagle.. 

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

ah sorry I didnt realise you meant the technical drawing on the WCE compared to the Sheffield Eagle.. fair enough cant really comment on that... 

with relation the sheffield eagle there is a certain amount where the colours help sway you as well as it is the colours of a bald eagle.. 

Why they called bald eagles ? They’re not bald like bobby charlton 

15 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Why they called bald eagles ? They’re not bald like bobby charlton 

White head, brown body i suppose... they do have a lovely comb over though

45 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Why? At least Sheffield is above Eagles, Brisbane is below Broncos, that doesn't make sense to me.

I wasn’t thinking about the Broncos (though you’re right that is bizarre), but if Sheffield Eagles want to make their mark in sheffield they should have the name of the city as the thing that shouts out, not the suffix which could be from anywhere. 

Archived