1950's Liverpool City/Swinton player - Gordon Curran

Does anybody have any more information or photo of Gordon Curran please ?

He started as a lad at my rugby club Sefton in Liverpool before going on to Liverpool City and Swinton.

I have a team photo which I would like to compare with.

Many thanks

Dave Bohl

Club Historian of SEFTON Rugby Club, West Derby, Liverpool

CurranG_19520322.png

Played 3 times for Swinton first team, first game on 14/9/57 and last game on 23/11/57. Is listed as a second rower in the swinton lions book 

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

4 hours ago, Usera said:

You might find something about him in Mike Brocken's excellent book about rugby league in Liverpool.

Liverpool City RLFC: Rugby League in a Football City

By coincidence, I'm reading this book at the moment. According to the introduction, Mike Brocken watched the club during its 'City' (rather than 'Stanley') era, albeit only in the Sixties.

On page 104, there is an image of the match programme for City's game against the Australia tourists on October 10th, 1956. It was the tour opener. Curran is listed at No 2 (maybe a different Curran if he's on the wing?) for the Knotty Ash Stadium fixture (neither Anfield nor Goodison Park were available). The match was played on a Wednesday afternoon. A 4,712 crowd produced receipts of £595. The Aussies won 40-12.

Interestingly, Mike states, on page 110: "...throughout the 1950s Liverpool-born players [at City] were practically nonexistent". Was the former Sefton RU Curran an exception?

Also, on P109, there's a City team picture from the late 1950s. Not all the players are identified. Might the ex-Sefton RU Curran be one of the 'mystery men'?

Mike (Dr Mike Brocken) is a senior lecturer in music at Liverpool Hope University. Might be an idea to contact him directly via https://www.hope.ac.uk

Gordon Curran 1.jpg

Gordon Curran 2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi, I think you may possibly be talking about my dad! 

I will have to dbl check the info. I just googled him to find some history of his career for a Christmas present as all his newspaper clippings etc were stolen when my grans house was burgled decades ago.

If you have the photo I can tell you if its him or not 

Archived