can sbw attract the muslim community to play/ watch our game?

imagine sbw is gonna be spending a lot of time playing and staying in towns and cities in the uk that have big muslim populations, is there an opportunity here to market our game to this particular community?  there must be lots of untapped talent and potential fans that could be brought on side by sbw? yes? no?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

How many Muslims have taken up RU as a result of him playing RU, which is a far bigger sport? 

the demographics are different 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

23 minutes ago, Copa said:

Would Muslim fans, including women in veils etc, be welcomed by fans in English stadiums?

I’ve seen girls wear Islamic “head gear” in team colours in Australia. 

Yep no problem - people really dont care about such things and I dont think religion dictates what sports you may like.

At the end of the day I dont care who I stand alongside when I watch my team as long as they are civil. I just see it as more money for the club if I see new faces at a match

52 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

What a bizarre notion. 

Not really.

Girls feel encouraged to participate in RL by having female role models so why is it bizarre to think the same process could happen with some in the Muslim community?

2 hours ago, Copa said:

You can’t be what you can’t see so hopefully it will have an impact.

The Bulldogs in Sydney have lots of Muslim fans. I wonder how much Hazem El Masri contributed to that?

The Bulldogs had a whole plan to appeal to the changing demographics in their suburbs. (IIRC) It was introduced by Bullfrog's daughter in late 80's/early 90's, and started simply with them carpet bombing the local schools with constant visits and advertising, and "multicultural days" where the club would invite people through local schools, community centres, and religious institutions.

From memory they didn't target the "Muslim community" in particular, but because of the demographic changes in the region the plan had a bigger impact in the Lebanese community then in many of the others.

Anyway, I don't really know that much about their multicultural days, you'd have to talk to an older Bulldogs fan for that I guess, but I do know that Hazem El Masri was one of the early products of that plan, not the catalyst for it.

Edit: The Bulldogs actually have an article on their first Multicultural day. 

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2019/05/20/multicultural-day-1993/

I think we are getting confused with Ethnicities and Religion.   In the UK most of the Muslims who like Cricket are probably those from South Asian communities and ethnic origins like Pakistani, Indian, Bangladeshi etc.   The nearest thing we had to that was in the 90s with Ikram Butt who I believe attracted a few ethnic Pakistanis to the terraces, or at least tried to.

I doubt that the same communities will turn out to watch a Kiwi playing a regional sport the don’t already follow, just because he’s a Muslim.    Nice idea of course, but I don’t think that I would venture to a cricket match in Pakistan just because a Russian convert to Christianity was playing.   I probably wouldn’t even know who he was.

It’s different in Australia.   The Muslim communities seem to be mainly Lebanese or North African who would tend to follow Soccer.   Since RL is the big draw in those cities it makes sense they’d be heavily involved.

As I say it would be a nice surprise, but highly unlikely based on religion rather than ethnicity or nationality.

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Won't lie; I didn't know he was Muslim.

Neither did I, and I think therein lies an issue with the possibility of SBW attracting Muslim followers, akin to Mike Tyson he’s not your typical Muslim. 

A Mohamed Salah type figure would definitely have an impact in RL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Salah#In_popular_culture

1 hour ago, DC77 said:

Neither did I, and I think therein lies an issue with the possibility of SBW attracting Muslim followers, akin to Mike Tyson he’s not your typical Muslim. 

A Mohamed Salah type figure would definitely have an impact in RL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohamed_Salah#In_popular_culture

Hold the phone...

Mike Tyson's a Muslim?!

I really don't pay attention to people's religion it seems.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

7 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

imagine sbw is gonna be spending a lot of time playing and staying in towns and cities in the uk that have big muslim populations, is there an opportunity here to market our game to this particular community?  there must be lots of untapped talent and potential fans that could be brought on side by sbw? yes? no?

Very unlikely.

Despite Ikram Butt playing in Super League for London and playing for England and his work with the Muslim community i see no evidence of any young Muslim players of note coming through, but perhaps other have.

If the game wants broader demographics it will need to get into more schools, and or set up junior clubs for starters within Muslim areas and hope the parents bring the kids along.

The same with the Afro-Caribbean community as well

Archived