Who could you play for?

Eddie

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England and Ireland. Some Scottish ancestry a little way back and potentially some Spanish about 500 years back, does that fit into the eligibility rules? 

I wouldn't last long, can barely run 10 metres these days without getting a stitch and at the start of the year I ran about 100 metres after a game to catch a bus and pulled my hamstring, still hurts a little even now...

11 hours ago, The Future is League said:

England and Ireland for me, but its a mystery to me why people don't want to play for the country that they were born and bred in, or have lived most of their life's.

I think most people do. However, if they're concerned that they're not going to be good enough to get into their 'own' country's team, it's understandable that they will look at what alternatives they have, if it means they might have opportunity to play in major tournaments etc.

For example, I remember Matt Holland (footballer) saying that he always regarded himself as English, but clearly he wasn't going to be good enough for the England team, so when the Republic of Ireland came along and asked him to play (because of his Irish grandma), he jumped at the chance. It enabled him to play in the 2002 World Cup. I would have done exactly the same, if I were him.

48 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Snap. 

I could also play for Ireland if surnames counted as well (Irish family links but neither set of grandparents were so not qualified). 

England England and England for me... however, if we are doing names then i've got a Scottish derived first name (which i dont use but will if it gets me a cap) and a french derived middle name (which is what i use)... surname could not be more english unless it was "English"!

but i'm a bit passed it now (if i ever was "it") still think the scottish first name may get me a game though!

England or Wales. Can't see why I'd want to represent Wales however, as with no disrespect to my Welsh heritage, I'm English.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

31 minutes ago, RP London said:

England England and England for me... however, if we are doing names then i've got a Scottish derived first name (which i dont use but will if it gets me a cap) and a french derived middle name (which is what i use)... surname could not be more english unless it was "English"!

but i'm a bit passed it now (if i ever was "it") still think the scottish first name may get me a game though!

First names don't count... ? 

I could certainly have qualified for Yorkshire at cricket In the old days. If I'd been good enough.  At RL I'd only qualify for GB or England. I suppose if you traced my ancestry back far enough I could play for a Scandinavian country - I'm reliably informed by surname is Norse in origin.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

4 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I could certainly have qualified for Yorkshire at cricket In the old days. If I'd been good enough.  At RL I'd only qualify for GB or England. I suppose if you traced my ancestry back far enough I could play for a Scandinavian country - I'm reliably informed by surname is Norse in origin.

who told you that... you're quite obviously Greek! ?

Just now, RP London said:

who told you that... you're quite obviously Greek! ?

Troy isn't in Greece. And the Troy I come from is most definitely part of Yorkshire

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

4 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Troy isn't in Greece. And the Troy I come from is most definitely part of Yorkshire

Its all about tracing ancestry so surely its back to the Classical world if you can

Archived