Who could you play for?

Eddie

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England, Ireland, Norway, Lancashire.

Canada, Australia, France - I know people who live there.

Wales, Scotland, I've worked there.

Italy, I like pasta.

Wow, so many. Who knew? Hope I've got the criteria right.

England, Ireland, Wales and Kenya

Would only stand a chance of being selected for any of these if Wayne Bennett is in charge. As he is not interested in which positions players might previously have played, I would not have to disclose that I have no playing experience.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

8 hours ago, doc said:

England, Ireland, Norway, Lancashire.

Canada, Australia, France - I know people who live there.

Wales, Scotland, I've worked there.

Italy, I like pasta.

Wow, so many. Who knew? Hope I've got the criteria right.

Beat me too it...

Great,great grandparents doesnt cut it...neither does "by marriage " 

Lol

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

England, Ireland, India (and possibly Pakistan, depending on how the rules adjudge pre-Partition birthplaces).

Having googled the latter two, I was pleasantly surprised to discover both India and Pakistan have international rugby league teams, largely populated by heritage players from Sydney and northern England respectively. 

Although the fact that physically fit people under the age of 40 are playing for those two teams probably means I shouldn't be wating by the phone for a call-up...

On 13/11/2019 at 15:51, Eddie said:

Now International Rugby League is (superbly) all the rage and everyone wants heritage players, who could you play for? 

I could play for England or Poland and possibly Lithuania. I’ve recently given up hope of an England call up but reckon I could do a job for the latter two. If they extended it to Great Grandparents it would open up even more possibilities, must write to the RLIF about that. 

When I was young enough to play I'd have been eligible for Canada or England, but having grown up in Canada I'd never have considered representing any other country but Canada.

On 14/11/2019 at 10:12, Number 16 said:

Cumberland for me: not this God-awful administrative construction called Cumbria.

Bring on CUMEXIT.

?

Cumexit, Is that Cumberland or Cumbria?

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

4 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

Nope...citizenship has nothing to do with it...

5 year residency is the only one that's true

I didnt realise that. I thought the logic behind the grandparent rule was that it qualified you for citizenship (that's the rule in Ireland anyway).

1 hour ago, damp squib said:

I didnt realise that. I thought the logic behind the grandparent rule was that it qualified you for citizenship (that's the rule in Ireland anyway).

Nope...citizenship has never had anything to do with the RLIF/IRL eligibility criteria...

Birth,heritage & residency...that's it

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Singapore (born),??

England (Father), ???????

Scotland (Mother), ???????

Wales (Grandfather) ???????

Netherlands (National/resident) . ??

GB ??

Despite all that choice representing Cumberland was as far as I got ?

Masters Gold shorts now though, age sneaked* up and caught me ?

* or is that snook.. as in Cumbrian ?

Only England, unless you went back an extra couple of generations, when you could add in Wales.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On 14/11/2019 at 23:05, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Scotland and the UK.

The UK ?

Have they ever had a team ?   It depends how you view the Northern Union team pre-1921.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Archived