Greatest rugby league moment of the decade?

Chris22

Sky have launched a poll on the best sporting moment of the decade. In a pleasant surprise, we have two moments nominated, being the Leeds treble in 2015 and the Salford drop goal in golden point in the Million Pound game in 2016. It wouldn't do any harm to get as many rugby league fans as possible to vote for our moments!

https://www.skysports.com/more-sports/news/12040/11859525/greatest-sports-moments-of-the-decade-vote-now-in-sky-sports-poll

It got me thinking if you had to pick one moment / game for the best of the decade, what would you go for? It's really hard to pin down to one, but for me it was the Tonga vs England RLWC 2017 semi final. It had everything, atmosphere, colour, royalty, an underdog story, frayed English nerves and an incredible ending! 

Image result for tonga vs england 2017

8 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

It's really hard to pin down to one, but for me it was the Tonga vs England RLWC 2017 semi final. It had everything, atmosphere, colour, royalty, an underdog story, frayed English nerves and an incredible ending! 

I must admit it's spine-tingling thinking back to that. Never experienced an atmosphere like it before, even on TV, in any sport. Can't think of anything that comes close

Tonga 2017 for me too. Rugby league reached a higher level that day.

England were cruising and their defence was imperious for about 72 minutes but once the wall of white was breached it collapsed.

It’s hard to describe the feelings many of us would have felt as England went from conceding a ‘consolation’ try then another ‘consolation’ try and then another this time far from consolation try so quickly. Then Jermaine McGillvary pinched the ball - ecstasy! - then had the ball pinched off him - agony! - then relief. Just.

My heart was pounding so hard I almost had to have a lie-down afterwards!

That combination of stirring comeback cheered on by a sea of screaming red may never been bettered. Magical.

I voted for Salford's drop goal , it was an amazing climax. A recent sporting contender, outside of RL has to be the run out in the super over that gave England the WC.

Sadly I can guess the winner of this poll already, Martin Tyler screaming " AAAGGUEERRRROOO" as Man city win the EPL. Whatever it is that wins bet anything it'll be something Sky showed.

Just voted for Sinfield - remember him and Peacock embracing as the last Leeds try went over in the GF. I'm not a Leeds fan but SL for me for over 10 years was a Friday night TV game with a few drinks, watching Leeds with the likes of Peacock, Sinfield, Burrow, JJB etc playing great RL, That moment, for me was the end of it and SL hasnt been the same since.

I was at the Tonga game and in 35 years of watching RL have never experienced anything even remotely like it, there was an amazing atmosphere for hours before, during and after the game.

On the poll itself I have voted for Salford, pure drama. There was a lot on the line that day for both sets of players, probably more so than for many others on the list.

12 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

I was at the Tonga game and in 35 years of watching RL have never experienced anything even remotely like it, there was an amazing atmosphere for hours before, during and after the game.

On the poll itself I have voted for Salford, pure drama. There was a lot on the line that day for both sets of players, probably more so than for many others on the list.

Tonga! I get goosebumps just reading about it. Best sporting experience of my life by a distance. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Salford.

And I know it isn't a "moment", but the last 2 minutes of that game in regulation time were quite astonishing. Made all the better by my listening to it on R5L sport, with John Inverdale (spits) anchoring, and having to make the indisputable drama the major focus of the show whilst obviously squirming through gritted teeth.

I've done my duty for the sport and gone for the Salford drop goal. 

Its a good list though. Lots of really memorable moments.

For me Leicester winning the Premier League is the biggest story of the decade, but there was no single iconic moment, unlike the Aguero goal. 

Stokes' ashes innings is the best innings I have ever seen and might have stood a chance had we actually won the ashes.

got to say for "moments" in the sky poll its the world cup run out.. (aguero can do one)

RL wise.. Salford in this poll.. 

for me.. Danny Houghton punching the ball out of the tackle in the cup final.. amazing bit of defence to win the match.

England v Tonga Semi is very close but isnt quite a "moment".. This Autumn should have seen a re match.. with as much intensity

As a Hull fan, my personal highlight was finally winning the challenge Cup at Wembley. 

The 2017 World Cup semi with Tonga will live long in the memory but I have to say my highlight came just a couple of weeks ago. Tonga beating Australia. I was actually shaking and tearing up watching that. The phrase speechless gets thrown round a lot but I genuinely was. Tonga have provided us with some great moments these last few years and long may it continue. 

A RL moment? Choice of two really... RLWC13 SF and the Salford Golden Point win. If Fifita had scored in the RLWC17 SF at the death, probably that.

But from that list, Ben Stokes’ Ashes innings by a long way... utterly breathtaking performance over a sustained period of time, rather than just one incident like the Agüero goal.

11 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Tonga 2017 for me too. Rugby league reached a higher level that day.

England were cruising and their defence was imperious for about 72 minutes but once the wall of white was breached it collapsed.

It’s hard to describe the feelings many of us would have felt as England went from conceding a ‘consolation’ try then another ‘consolation’ try and then another this time far from consolation try so quickly. Then Jermaine McGillvary pinched the ball - ecstasy! - then had the ball pinched off him - agony! - then relief. Just.

My heart was pounding so hard I almost had to have a lie-down afterwards!

That combination of stirring comeback cheered on by a sea of screaming red may never been bettered. Magical.

It was an unbelievable day. 

Archived