Ask Nigel Wood

2 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Ha ha. And JD thinks that some of the questions to Ferres are out of order!

TBH, even agreeing to do a Q&A shows how out of touch Wood is. 

The truth is the keyboard warriors wouldn't be quite so bold if they had to use their real names, or if they were face to face with the subjects of their vitriol.

29 minutes ago, John Drake said:

The truth is the keyboard warriors wouldn't be quite so bold if they had to use their real names, or if they were face to face with the subjects of their vitriol.

I'm not sure that is true in the case of Mr Wood John.

I don't recall much vitriol towards him recently, but there are many questions I would love to ask him, via the internet, or face to face. If you can arrange it, I will be along whenever you tell me to be.

I agree that some of the comments are out of order, & some of the questions could be worded less abruptly. However, I think the vast majority of the questions that focus on the sport are reasonable questions bearing in mind the leading positions in RL that he has held in the past, his current position as CEO of the IRL, the large amounts of salary & severance pay he has drawn from the game. 

Once you get past the pathetic childish ones (how much do you weigh etc) there are quite a few pertinent questions on there which, frankly, should have been asked/answered long before now. Some which it's a shame the RL media don't appear to have pushed him and his colleagues on as much as they perhaps should

1 hour ago, Jim Prendle said:

I'm not sure that is true in the case of Mr Wood John.

I don't recall much vitriol towards him recently, but there are many questions I would love to ask him, via the internet, or face to face. If you can arrange it, I will be along whenever you tell me to be.

Someone hiding behind a pseudonym has just posted an out-and-out libel in this very thread, which I have had to remove.

Frankly, it's pathetic.

12 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Someone hiding behind a pseudonym has just posted an out-and-out libel in this very thread, which I have had to remove.

Frankly, it's pathetic.

Sorry, I didn't see that. Probably due to the fact that you removed it.

I would still love to sit across the table from Nigel Wood though.

13 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Frankly, it's pathetic.

I agree it is... but you will get that in any walk of life too... I would say there are questions the Mr Wood needs to answer though... Would happily give a name and address if it allowed me to ask some questions, I would not be rude at all but I think there are some serious questions to ask. My worry is more that he would not answer them as he is very good at skirting around answers without saying anything (RImmer learnt quite well from him but it looks more forced from him)

I am not on Twitter but I would ask Nigel Wood what he feels are the best metrics to measure success of the International Rugby League body and does he have any personal performance measures attached to his role.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Sorry, I didn't see that. Probably due to the fact that you removed it.

I would still love to sit across the table from Nigel Wood though.

Of course, you could always set that up yourself, given your persuasion skills. ?

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I am not on Twitter but I would ask Nigel Wood what he feels are the best metrics to measure success of the International Rugby League body and does he have any personal performance measures attached to his role.

Think rail companies. Think councils. Think NHS. 

Achieving targets is easy when ya set 'um yer self... 

2 hours ago, Chris22 said:

No apologies for my questions, I hope but do not expect a response!

Grown ups are able to do two things at once.

And the idea that anyone is in the RL club owning game to enrich themselves is somewhat laughable.

I’ve never really understood the bile and vitriol directed at this guy... and to think that ... in 2019... people think that it’s ok to focus on a physical attribute to insult, ridicule or intimidate someone is frankly; beyond unacceptable.

however if there are questions to be answered then acting in an adult manner seems like a good way to start asking them.

ive said before... freedom of speech does not equal freedom to hurt!

18 hours ago, John Drake said:

Likewise do you think mr wood would make half the daft decisions he has if he didnt feel untouchable in his ivory tower away from meeting upset and disgusted fans face to face?

He's practically a bond villain in rl circles at this point.

In my opinion, there is one main problem with the RL hierarchy - RFL, International RL, etc and it is in its relationship with the fans. By that I mean openness, transparency and accessibility of senior personnel. 

However, is it any wonder, given the bile, abuse, etc directed at them by some fans. We can see that from some posters on this thread, and by some of the questions posed to Ferres on another thread. These posters are perhaps too lazy or too scared to contact Nigel Wood directly so they do it on here. 

Well worth a listen that podcast. No denying Wood’s passion for the game.

Some interesting nuggets in there, like he expects the 2025 WC location to be announced next year, it still could be in North America, and they are considering splitting off the women’s and wheelchair WC into standalone comps.

The GAISF thing is a worry. I’m not hopeful the IRL will get 40 nations necessary to be recognised as a world sport like dwarf-tossing and whatnot.

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

The GAISF thing is a worry. I’m not hopeful the IRL will get 40 nations necessary to be recognised as a world sport like dwarf-tossing and whatnot.

Depends if they actually want to help.

I could rustle up between 3 and 5 with a little help.

new rise.jpg

Archived